Ohio's Largest PC Gaming Community & LAN Party

gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

NeXus LAN 24 was fantastic!!!  We will miss seeing everyone, but hope to see some of you at other LAN's down the line.   Thank you everyone for years of support and fun!!!!

gfx gfx
gfx
11324 Posts in 2476 Topics by 414 Members - Latest Member: Hanlin March 28, 2024, 05:34:40 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
      « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print
Author Topic: The Battlefield 3 Beta is a MASSIVE letdown.  (Read 50423 times)
Rhythmatic
N00b

View Profile
« on: September 29, 2011, 08:03:49 PM »

Hi everyone. Dave Peeples said this would be a good discussion topic/post for these forums, so as my introduction and first post, here goes.

Just downloaded the FOUR GIGABYTE (4GB!!!) Open Beta. I've already encountered so many problems and issues, it's hard to think that this game comes out next month.

1. It forces you to run Origin, EA's version of Steam. The problem with this is it's not nearly as useful as Steam, it merely serves as a storefront, at least for BF3. Right now, it's using 102MB of system memory just running in the background, about half of Steam, but surprising considering how little it does in comparison.

2. When you decide to play and double-click on the game in Origin, it doesn't actually launch the game. It opens Internet Explorer (no way of changing this to a different browser after searching around) to the server browser. Yeah, the server browser isn't built into the game. What's up Gamespy Arcade circa 2001? Ugh. This essentially makes Origin entirely pointless, because I simply bookmarked the server browser page and put it on my Bookmarks Bar in Chrome. So it just sits there in the BG, collecting data and using memory. NEAT.

3. The server browser itself is god-awful and UGLY. Filtering search results doesn't work (probably a Beta issue), and matchmaking doesn't work. Oh hey, this server is 18/32, I'll join it--NOPE SERVER FULL. WTF? Please EA, give us an ingame server browser back.

4. Upon boot, it defaults to a windowed mode. Once in game, I decide to mess with my settings such as graphics, audio, video, etc. Keybindings are wonky and after changing one, the mouse disappears, forcing me to alt-enter and back to see it again. Graphics are set to "Auto" but I can't run this game for shit. Yes, my video card is 2 years old and I plan to upgrade it someday, but even setting everything to Low, turning off AA, AF, and HSAO, it's still quite graphically intensive and lags quite a lot for me, especially in firefights with lots of smoke particles and lighting.

5. For the sake of "realism", they've added quite a few things that I feel detract from the "arcade-sim" type of shooter BF has always been, to more of a legitimate war-sim, which SUCKS. A good example is the addition of flashlights attached to guns. They quite literally fill your vision with LED-type light, completely blinding you. Teammates and enemies alike. COOOOOOOOL. It's too unbalanced, because it's basically a constant flashbang, rendering you totally vulnurable and DEAD.

6. After playing a 20 minute Rush match, we finally set the charge for the final MCOM station and the siren hits the last stage signalling it's about to explode. SERVER TIMED OUT BACK TO THE DESKTOP YOU GO! God damnit. Now, in BC2, if you decide to leave a game, or the server times out, you don't get penalized for whatever advancements or levels you earned, it will still update your stats. Not BF3. I had leveled up twice by playing support, and was in 2nd place on my team. All gone. Still at level 0, like I had never played at all.

So, I probably won't be buying this game, at least not until they actually listen to the feedback their whole community has been giving them. I was willing to run Origin (even though my entire library is on Steam), I was going to eventually upgrade my hardware, but for what? The multiplayer game is SHIT. It's like Crysis 1, just use it for system benchmarks, but don't expect any substance.

I'll see you guys in BF: Bad Company 2.

M.C. Disease
N00b

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2011, 11:59:25 PM »

I haven't tried it myself yet but, I trust Rhythmatic's judgement on a lot of things. I'm preparing to be underwhelmed.
Rhythmatic
N00b

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2011, 04:21:27 AM »

Earlier I managed to play through a whole round of rush, and noticed another change that I'm none too happy about. It seems that outdoors, they've added this "glint" or lensflare effect on scopes, so snipers are incredibly easy to spot. I'm actually not sure if this is limited to just snipers, or anyone who has a scope. I am seeing a LOT of complaints on this new "feature", so I figured it's worth mentioning.

Also, you know how in BC2 when the round is over and it's loading the next game, you can see your level progression and various pins, all at once? Well BF3 has an incredibly dramatic, Call of Duty-style section showing you EACH. AND. EVERY. DETAIL, with a ridiculous metal-synth SMASH FUCK YEAH VIDEO GAMES RAAAAAAAH effect for each item and notable thing you've earned, and no way of skipping it.

Once you finish a round, say you don't want to play another, right? In BC2, you did have to wait for the "join" option to show before hitting "exit game" to back out. Not in BF3. You actually have to join, and deploy. Then hit ESC and exit game. OH BOY!

Renegade
NeXus LAN Director

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2011, 12:34:40 PM »

From what I have see and been told that glint is people turning on flashlights.   And those flashlights are acting like perm flashbangs when shined direct into someones eyes, even in an outdoor day light map.   

Renegade
NeXus LAN Director
Cyphis
NeXus LAN Staff

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2011, 01:02:57 PM »

I am far from impressed as well.  I played the first night after it was open for early beta access.  After seeing my medic bag smash down a wall and leaving me vulnerable and dying a second later from someone clear across the map, I was like hmm.....that needs a fix.

Then I am running across the field of battle where it feels like someone is burning my retina with a laser pointer only to find out it is the flashlight on their rifle; and as Renegade mentioned, this was outdoors in daylight.

Next, I am laying prone.  Looking down the barrel of my gun, trying to get a bead on the enemy.  Not moving.....or am I?  Not touching my keyboard or mouse, my character in the game was slowly sliding to the left even though I was trying to lay completely still.  What is that all about?

Then, I am running toward my goal to blow crap up.  I find a good spot to temporarily hide myself.  I go prone.  But wait....I sink through the graphics and now am in some non-pixel realted dungeon seeing partial gameplay above me with nowhere to go and not able to move.  ESC > Suicide.....my only option to get back in the game.  This happens 6 or 7 times during the match.

Oh, here is a fun one.  When the game starts, it automatically goes to a windowed mode.  I ALT-ENTER to get to the non-windowed, full size playfield.  The round ends and the game automatically drops back to a windowed mode.  Plus in the windowed mode, I can't even get to my options menu to do anything else.  

I can honestly say, I am completely loosing interest in this game and don't think I will be spending my $60 to play it.  EA, please figure out a way of cancelling your order through Origin (which you cannot at this time) instead of having to email customer service or call customer service.

I was just trying to figure out too....how do the console people get their server list.  I am sure they don't have to put up with a web browser based POS system.

Oh yeah, and did I forget to mention that the video gameplay looks NO BETTER than Bad Company 2?  Surprise, EA showed all the outstanding video from their single player mode that had the fantastic graphics, but failed to mention that they were not putting those graphics in the multi-based portion of the game.  Wo, that was a winner of a choice.

Goodbye Battlefield 3 and hello Call of  Duty: Modern Warfare 3.

Cyphis

~ If I find in myself desires which nothing in this world can satisfy, the only logical explanation is that I was made for another world.      - C.S. Lewis ~
Renegade
NeXus LAN Director

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2011, 02:34:21 PM »

Well sadly I have canceled my pre-order for BF3.   Had high hopes and its not a BF2 sequal, they might as well called it BF BC3. 

I know this is a beta but when you go into an open beta people expect more.  I can deal with the glitches etc, but the game play, flashlights, web page to launch game etc.  It all adds up to a game I simply do not want to put 60.00 into.   Let alone that origin SUCKS ASS.

I will sadly still have to deal with origin as I am going to be playing Star Wars an no choice but BF3 not going to do it.

I did hear a rumor that sometime after launch they are going to put out a steam version of BF3 once they have hooked all the others into buying thru origin.

Maybe I will snag it on a sale on steam someday but today it looks like I will be getting MW3 and not BF3 as my new shooter to play.

Renegade
NeXus LAN Director
Action
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2011, 03:25:18 PM »

One thing to remember though is that this is a beta. But with that said, if there are still so many bugs how are they going to make their release date?  Maybe it will be pushed back. What is odd though is from what I hear the alpha was better than the beta. I'll be playing today/night and will post my thoughts.

[TC] Action
Website Administrator - NeXus LAN
XBox Live: ActionRZ
Cra2hgirl
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2011, 04:32:01 PM »

I have it downloaded but haven't played yet.  I heard the negative reviews here and wasn't too excited about playing.  But, the guys over at TC say they love it and and that's all they have been playing lately.  So, guess I will have to try it out for myself.
Lincoln7
Sniper

What's your favorite planet?? Mine's the sun...

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2011, 12:03:48 AM »

Yikes, that's sad to hear. The trailers I saw a month or two ago looked pretty impressive. That's too bad.

Predictable, though. DICE has been shooting themselves in the foot with each new release now for the last 3 years.

They have this funny habit of giving the middle finger to the pc gaming community that buy their games and offer them any feedback.  That kind of attitude/behavior catches up with you at some point.
Cra2hgirl
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2011, 02:44:42 AM »

I actually like the game.  There are some bugs in the game that are a little annoying, but it is a beta and they'll probably be fixed in the release.  I wouldn't cancel a preorder just because of some bugs in the beta. 
Action
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2011, 02:53:45 AM »

Yeah after playing the game quite a bit tonight, I like it.  The graphics are  better than Bad Company 2 but mainly in the lighting, etc effects. 

They obviously need to work out some bugs, but it is not as bad as I thought and I will be purchasing the game.

[TC] Action
Website Administrator - NeXus LAN
XBox Live: ActionRZ
Rhythmatic
N00b

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2011, 05:55:30 AM »

I'm not so sure people should be giving it the "it's just a Beta" excuse. Folks, this game releases on the 25th. If anything, the Beta is focusing on issues like network stability and such. I feel like the glaring problems we're seeing with the game mechanics are going to have to be fixed via patches.

Last night I experienced a MAJOR problem involving a BSOD and subsequent frustration trying to figure out the problem. I think BF3 killed my video card. Rather, I think the updated "preview" drivers did it. I suppose it's partially my fault, because I didn't notice that the ATI version was intended only for 5xxx and up cards. Mine is a 4850 and had been running fine, but from what I gather is that it overheated. I'm currently running on a backup GeForce 8800GTX (  Cry ) and the 285 drivers they released list that the 8 series is in fact supported. Haven't attempted running BF3 yet to see if it will even compare. MC Disease might sell me his, (5970? I can't recall. 5870?) so there's hope yet. What's insane is that his card is AMD's 3rd fastest card out right now. The recommended specs for this game are bananas.

MW3 is looking more and more appealing by the minute...

Denied
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2011, 08:08:22 AM »

I have not played it, but I know a few close friend who think its going to be awesome if they realease some bigger maps at launch.  You guys are scaring me though...I was not a fan of BC2, but I love BF2.
Renegade
NeXus LAN Director

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2011, 03:30:14 PM »

Thats my main huge issue denied is that is feels like a sequal to BC2 and not a sequal to BF2.   It also has alot of things that make it feel like MoH as well.   Both games I was not fond of.

I canceled my pre-order.  I am tired of getting burnt on games via pre-order.  If it turns out great and all then I will consider getting it later on after launch when they release it via steam.   I would much rather have the game in steam then in origin anyway.   More I look at origin more I hate that they are making games exclusive to it at launch, but there have been reports that exclusives will go to steam sometime after launch.   I would assume they want as many as they can to get it in origin, but they will then add it to steam to catch the hold outs that would not buy thru origin.   Makes good sense when you think about it really.

For now I am sticking with MW3 since it has LAN servers etc and thats going to be the LAN game for a while as nothing else on the horizon that I am aware of that will have local servers that is a shooter.

So I am saying I am not 100% against BF3 but I am not happy with what I see right now and I am not really talking about bugs, yeah I see alot but those will be fixed.   I am talking about game play, the web page launch, not being able to open menus when dead, cant leave game till you deploy, if in a menu an you get killed it kicks you out of the menus, and feeling like a BC2 sequal.  All that put together just makes me not want to put out top $ for the game right now.

Renegade
NeXus LAN Director
=[TN]= Venus_Wong
NeXus LAN Staff

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2011, 02:58:50 AM »

Hey, remember how buggy BF 2042 was when if first launched? It was total crapola. I remember a few times falling thru the ship while defending the central chamber. I guess since BF3 is beta that the powers that be will deploy many fixes over time. If not then they got a friggin' HUGE mess on their hands.

=[TN]= Venus_Wong
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx gfx