Ohio's Largest PC Gaming Community & LAN Party

gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

NeXus LAN 24 was fantastic!!!  We will miss seeing everyone, but hope to see some of you at other LAN's down the line.   Thank you everyone for years of support and fun!!!!

gfx gfx
gfx
11324 Posts in 2476 Topics by 414 Members - Latest Member: Hanlin March 28, 2024, 10:29:07 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
      « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: MW3 - All dedicated servers will be unranked?  (Read 21826 times)
Action
Administrator

View Profile
« on: November 04, 2011, 04:12:48 AM »

It looks like all dedicated servers will be unranked so you will not be able to level up.  This make sense on LAN dedicated but all?  Sucks
So looks like it will be peer to peer to level up?  I am confused.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/113791-Modern-Warfare-3-Dedicated-Servers-Leave-Out-the-Leveling-Up

[TC] Action
Website Administrator - NeXus LAN
XBox Live: ActionRZ
Renegade
NeXus LAN Director

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2011, 11:39:04 AM »

Only way to lvl up is via rented servers to guarantee they are not altered.

All local dedicated, or dedicated not run via rental are unranked.   

Renegade
NeXus LAN Director
Action
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2011, 04:12:01 PM »

That article says all dedicated servers so I assumed rental ones too?

[TC] Action
Renegade
NeXus LAN Director

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2011, 04:57:52 PM »

I am finding articles that say all are unranked then seeing hositng companies saying that dedicated servers through hosting are ranked and that is only way you can get a ranked server.  EG the local server that comes with the game for all will be unranked but you can unlock anything you want.   

This seems to be fair since local can be hacked really easy, and dedicated server hosting is not near as hackable to rank up fast etc.

But honestly I see so much conflicting info I am unsure.   But to be honest it does not bother me.    Let me use all the options all the time, the game is more about winning match against others vs ranking up.  I so hate the rank up process in FPS games anymore.

Renegade
NeXus LAN Director
Action
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2011, 07:29:00 AM »

Well it seems to be official all dedicated servers will be unranked. So just like MW2 u will need to connect via the match making services and play peer to peer to rank.

More info: http://community.callofduty.com/thread/4682

This sucks because when I tried P2P with MW2 it was a lag mess where the host player had the advantage.

I really do not understand why they can not just do it like BF3 does and have both ranked and unranked dedicated servers. I seriously smell console port just like MW2. At least it has dedicated servers for LAN play. That is something BF3 doesn't have well at least not yet.

[TC] Action
spyware89
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2011, 02:48:39 PM »

Grr... this is what I was afraid of with pre-ordering MW3... I didn't buy MW2 because of this crap. Game hasn't even come out yet and I want to return it for a refund.  Angry I don't understand, I saw very very very few exploited ranked servers with Black ops.
So are we going to be running an unlocked server for the LAN or what?
Renegade
NeXus LAN Director

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2011, 03:14:18 PM »

The local server at the lan will be fully unlocked yes.

And there are conflicting stories on if rented dedicated servers are ranked or not.

Renegade
NeXus LAN Director
spyware89
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2011, 03:42:22 PM »

Yay! I don't have to level grind for a week an a half straight then! I hope they are ranked, I refuse to play on the peer to peer system, it is just flat out not worth the frustration that comes with it.
Action
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2011, 10:59:51 PM »

And there are conflicting stories on if rented dedicated servers are ranked or not.
Can you link these conflicting stories?  As the link I posted above is official straight from the developers.  Of course we will all find out in about 6 hours.

[TC] Action
Lincoln7
Sniper

What's your favorite planet?? Mine's the sun...

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2011, 11:24:36 PM »

This was straight from that community post...

"Are Dedicated Servers Ranked or UnRanked?

Only matchmaking to public games are Ranked (meaning, you have to rank up to unlock weapons to rank on the leaderboards), choosing to play on a Dedicated Server is UnRanked. Meaning unlocks are completely controlled by the Server Admin. They can choose to unlock everything or limit class restrictions to whatever they like to fully customize the experience. You do not have to rank up in Public games to have access to weapons in Dedicated Servers, you have complete control over what is unlocked for you in a Unranked Dedicated Server."
Cra2hgirl
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2011, 12:58:07 AM »

LAME.
Renegade
NeXus LAN Director

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2011, 01:34:14 AM »

This really does not bother me.   If you wanna try an get on the ranking boards etc play the matchmaking.   If you wanna play with all the weapons, etc in the game play on an unlocked server.  Also anyone with a decent connection can run a server this way, and of course fully unlocked matches at LAN parties.

I am one that hates lvling up anyway, so this is fine with me.   I also wanna play the solo as cod has always had the best story and solo game of them all, as well as the new co-op spec ops mode looks cool.

Renegade
NeXus LAN Director
Action
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2011, 01:44:50 AM »

I as well as I would think the majority of players enjoy ranking up.  I think it is just absolutely silly they do not allow ranking on dedicated servers at least on rented servers.

[TC] Action
Lincoln7
Sniper

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2011, 03:28:01 AM »

I guess I'm still not understanding why this is a bad thing.  I had to stop and think about each scenario carefully to pull each one apart to make sure I was clear on each side of the issue: I asked myself the question, why would I want to level up? For points? Well, yes. For prestige amongst fellow players who get to look at my stats w/ envy? Not really. To unlock weapons and perks? Absolutely yes. And then it dawned on me...the purpose of leveling up was to unlock more and more wonderfully clever ways to blow up other players in the game...aha! I thought...this is it! Eureka! I've found it!!! Or, so I thought...for now, it seems my topsy-turvy world of common sense has been turned on its side, and the real reality is that playing in a server where everyone has the same opportunity to play the same weapons that you do in a private LAN is actually bad.  It is actually better to go online on the internet and play against total strangers, so I can level up properly and unlock weapons and perks one painstakingly slow step at a time...

Ok, it all makes sense now.  Grin
Lincoln7
Sniper

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2011, 03:54:06 AM »

Ultimately, I'd covert to BF3 if DICE wasn't involved.  Activision, Infinity Ward, and Treyarch have all made their fumbles & foibles when it comes to the COD series, but DICE has always struck me as a "we don't give a flying fig newton what you think because we're going to do what we want anyway" kind of a team of developers, and combined with EA's lack or foresight and vision with regards to the potential gold mine of the PC gaming community, it's like Frick and Frack have joined forces to create a new (old) FPS game that's totally unlike anything you've seen before (mostly what you saw before), and with incredible cutting-edge graphics (how do you design a game that's ported to work with a console system that's 7 years old? answer: dumb it down a bit)...and so on and so forth. Unfortunately, the COD series is just as guilty in the arena of graphics, AI and game engine infrastructure, so I can't say too much about that.

I will say this, though...DICE's new engine Frostbite 2 has a marked improvement in their in-game AI responsiveness; granted I haven't played the game myself and I was too late on the uptake to join the beta (sucks being in school full-time), but from what I have seen from the gameplay videos, that part I am impressed with. But that's all.  Grin
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx gfx