Ohio's Largest PC Gaming Community & LAN Party

gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

NeXus LAN 24 was fantastic!!!  We will miss seeing everyone, but hope to see some of you at other LAN's down the line.   Thank you everyone for years of support and fun!!!!

gfx gfx
gfx
11324 Posts in 2476 Topics by 414 Members - Latest Member: Hanlin March 29, 2024, 02:03:14 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
      « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: LoL Tournament slots increased  (Read 17901 times)
Renegade
NeXus LAN Director

View Profile
« on: November 15, 2011, 11:54:45 PM »

I have kicked the slots to 40.  If we do not get a full 40 there will have to be byes during the tournament.

Renegade
NeXus LAN Director
twodavez
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2011, 12:58:34 PM »

I'm not sure we'll get another 20 people, but who knows. I kinda liked the idea of keeping it experienced players only, or at least people that have the game installed prior to the LAN, but i guess since we're all there for fun, it won't make that big of a difference. I think with the calabor of people signed up, i need to bump my skill down to average, unless you just want to go off people's level, which might be a better way of doing things, you could be like me and get to level 21, and still get your face handed to you in a game... Even losses in the game give EXP therefor increasing level. I think it worked out pretty good at LAN OC, especially since you could have a player who with the right guidance (ie. people yelling in their ear what to do) it could really increase their level of play,e ven though they are a very low level. Case in point would be a few people on my team at LAN OC, while they had only played a little bit of LOL, they were really versed in HON which gave them a small advantage over people who were totally new to the type of game play and really didn't care to play in the first place, but signed up to be a part of the action...
Renegade
NeXus LAN Director

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2011, 01:12:39 PM »

Dave you confuse me.  In the other thread you ask for the count to be raised, and now you seem concerned it was raised.    People keep asking for it to be raised so I did.   I do not expect to get to 40 if we do ok, but honestly I think we will get 1-2 more teams and end up wth 1st or 2nd round buys.    The reason to stay at 20 was to make it so no byes and to keep it a fairly quick tournamanet as it is a late night one.   If we get 40 I am sure it will run to around 4 am or so.  Also bumping to 40 is the next # where no byes would happen is we have a full 40.

Renegade
NeXus LAN Director
Denied
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2011, 03:07:19 PM »

Renegade, like I said last night...I do not see any problem with it being raised.  

Also, I do not see how adding more players is going to allow any more noobs then when it was a 20 man tourney.  The tournament is intended for leveled up accounts not to prevent regular LOL players from dealing with noobs, but to prevent noobs from just signing up and getting upset that they did not know they were at a non skill based disadvantage from the start.  If 15 more people that have nevered played sign up that is fine as long as they all understand what they are getting themselves in to.

Nacelle
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2011, 05:29:53 PM »

Were you planning on having a metric for which team gets the buy, or just picking one?
Renegade
NeXus LAN Director

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2011, 05:54:23 PM »

I will more then likely put the buys in the 1st round like most of the bracket making programs do it, and the program will randomly select the teams that get buys.

Renegade
NeXus LAN Director
Cyphis
NeXus LAN Staff

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2011, 09:11:17 PM »

AAAAHHHHHHH!!!!  Its BYE.  Not buy.  Fix your posts....LOL. Tongue

Cyphis

~ If I find in myself desires which nothing in this world can satisfy, the only logical explanation is that I was made for another world.      - C.S. Lewis ~
Nacelle
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2011, 12:19:10 AM »

shows you how much I know sports.
twodavez
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2011, 01:02:05 AM »

I thought you'd just increase it like 10 or something, but no big deal, sounds like you've got the teams figured out as far as byes go.

And Denied, i think that's a flawed way of looking at never played's in the tourney. We had a never played person last LAN and it kinda ruined the fun and competition for the people that knew what they were doing. It's not like it's just 4v5, it's 4v5 with the five having way better gear. This type of game doesn't lend it'self well to people who aren't interested in learning the game. I understand we're there for fun, but with Raffle tickets and real nice products up for grabs, it's kinda hard not to be frustrated with people who dont even wanna practice and half way through the tourney are hard to find because they really don't wanna play in it anymore... We went round and round at LAN OC to have a min level, and i think it's still a good idea to have, but again, with 2 days to go, doubt we'll be able to make any rule changes.

LEts have fun, and just if you're new, please hug the tower when told, that's all i ask :-)
Nacelle
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2011, 01:20:47 AM »

I was on your side last go-around with the player experience thing. I just don't think it's worth bringing up anymore. We play the hand we're dealt and call it a day.
Renegade
NeXus LAN Director

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2011, 01:37:38 AM »

I am not going to put a min lvl in at this point.  That is why I put in the sign ups that people will be playing with lvled up accounts and suggest people play ahead of time before the lan.

Renegade
NeXus LAN Director
twodavez
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2011, 02:11:20 AM »

I am not going to put a min lvl in at this point.  That is why I put in the sign ups that people will be playing with lvled up accounts and suggest people play ahead of time before the lan.

Well considering there are already a few people who signed up with the skill level of "never played" obviously they're not too concerned with bringing the team down.

Gosh, running a LAN can't be that much fun sometimes, with people like me argueing. I'm sorry, but it's just frustrating to get in game and then have people on your team that were planning on getting knocked out in the first round so they could play something else...

There is always hope for the next lan :-)

Renegade
NeXus LAN Director

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2011, 02:20:20 AM »

Its very hard to say someone that pays to come to an event cant play in a tournament.   And frankly I don't want to do that I want anyone that wants to play in X to be allowed.   I did make the post, so that people knew going in that they would be playing against experienced players.   but for those that listed never played for all we know they DLed the game and started playing it a week ago and lvling up etc and they could suprise you.   They cant change their lvl of experience after they sign up.

Renegade
NeXus LAN Director
Denied
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2011, 04:32:00 PM »

I thought you'd just increase it like 10 or something, but no big deal, sounds like you've got the teams figured out as far as byes go.

And Denied, i think that's a flawed way of looking at never played's in the tourney. We had a never played person last LAN and it kinda ruined the fun and competition for the people that knew what they were doing. It's not like it's just 4v5, it's 4v5 with the five having way better gear. This type of game doesn't lend it'self well to people who aren't interested in learning the game. I understand we're there for fun, but with Raffle tickets and real nice products up for grabs, it's kinda hard not to be frustrated with people who dont even wanna practice and half way through the tourney are hard to find because they really don't wanna play in it anymore... We went round and round at LAN OC to have a min level, and i think it's still a good idea to have, but again, with 2 days to go, doubt we'll be able to make any rule changes.

LEts have fun, and just if you're new, please hug the tower when told, that's all i ask :-)

I completely understand what you are saying, but this goes on in all games.  I know in Dota games it is much worse.  The same thing will go on in the HoN tourney, but if you are a good player you will have to carry for your bad team.

I am personally a hardcore gamer.  Some who come to the LAN would like to be hardcore gamers, but they do not have the time to play as much as I do.  Asking them to sit out of all but two tourneys because someone doesn't want a noob on their team is not fair.  We want people to join the tourney knowing that there are advantages that some people will have that are not skill based.  These tourneys are for fun. 

I have said this before...You can run your own private tourney within the LAN. You can choose the player skill you wish to have. 
gfx
Pages: [1] Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx gfx