Ohio's Largest PC Gaming Community & LAN Party

gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

NeXus LAN 24 was fantastic!!!  We will miss seeing everyone, but hope to see some of you at other LAN's down the line.   Thank you everyone for years of support and fun!!!!

gfx gfx
gfx
11324 Posts in 2476 Topics by 414 Members - Latest Member: Hanlin March 29, 2024, 08:39:45 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
      « previous next »
Poll
Question: Vote for the best case mod at NeXus LAN 9!
Garf3ld's - Sparta - 9 (28.1%)
Plague's - Green Machine - 11 (34.4%)
Evildoer 's - Guitar Mod - 8 (25%)
Wingless - CUBE - 1 (3.1%)
Creel's - White Phantom - 3 (9.4%)
Total Voters: 13

Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: NeXus LAN 9 Case Mod Contest Vote here....  (Read 17896 times)
Renegade
NeXus LAN Director

View Profile
« on: November 20, 2011, 02:42:02 PM »

Please walk around and check out the cases then vote for your favorite.

Row's units are in -

Garfi3ld - Beta end near restrooms
Plague - Charlie end near staff
Evildoer - Delta end near kitchen
Wingless - Beta middle row
Creel - Alpha middle row on wall

Renegade
NeXus LAN Director
Renegade
NeXus LAN Director

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2011, 05:26:52 PM »

Grats to Plague for winning the case mod contest.

I wanna see a COOL mod for that Silverstone LAN Box you won!!!!

Renegade
NeXus LAN Director
twodavez
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2011, 05:58:39 PM »

Just as a precursor, I’m not trying to offend or criticize anyone with this post; I just have questions about this “contest” at the LAN’s lately. I appreciate you not taking this the wrong way as it’s not directed negatively at anyone, just a general observation over the past few years.
As a non-modder (at least not enough to enter the contest) what makes a PC worthy of entering a contest? I have a Cooler Master Scout case. It comes with all red fans, but I’ve replaced them all with blue fans, I’ve also added lights to the sides, I’ve spent lots of time hiding all the wires and also installing an aftermarket CPU cooler. After hanging out with JJ’s mods or some of the awesome crazy ones at LAN OC by other people (ie: Minecraft, entire old gaming system mod, fish tank…) it just seems like painting the case is the new wave of the future. While I think that’s cool, I just have questions on what else was done with the case. Water cooling, other holes cut, special lights ordered...
I’d like to challenge modders to come up with a quick 30 sec description of their case and what they’ve actually modded. Or maybe post up their work log on the website prior to the LAN, or maybe just write something up so that people can see what the case original looked like so we can see what was actually done. Some of these cases come pre-modded.  I just hate to think that someone who spent lots of time hiding wires, buying special coatings for the ones you can see, installing lights, cutting holes for water cooling, building the case from scratch or whatever else that can be done isn’t being considered because someone was able to find someone to paint their case for them. To me it’s like doing a contest for over-clocking and just giving the prize to the person who spent the most on the hardware, instead of taking into account the specs of what they had to work with and their skill in actually making it run faster…
Again, I think the painting is very cool, but unless you airbrushed it yourself, or designed it yourself, should it count as a Mod? At least enough to enter a contest? Maybe I’m just a little bitter that I’m not that creative or good with my hands, I just hate to think that the guy who spent his blood sweat and tears totally re-doing a case, is beat by someone who just has a already cool case painted, or by installing a lighted fan, if the case didn’t come with them already…
This all stems from looking at the mod in CPU mag, and reading that he build the case from scratch and how cool that was. So I just mainly wanna know what you did to your case, so I’m not just judging on what I can see, but also what was done to get it that way.
Again sorry if I offended anyone, but that wasn’t my intention, I just wanna elevate the level of this contest.
Renegade
NeXus LAN Director

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2011, 06:06:04 PM »

Did you go around an talk to each person that entered?

I know that plague has done ALOT inside his case not just painted the case.   Like water cooling, uv pipes etc.

I would highly suggest that each person goes and looks at each case, talks to the modder on all that they did to get it in the state it is in for the contest etc.

Renegade
NeXus LAN Director
twodavez
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2011, 06:11:51 PM »

I wasn't directing this just a Plauge as i stated in the pre-paragraph, just noticed the trend and kinda wanted to know what a "Mod" was considereing in todays time where most cases are pretty modded from the manufacurer, and people usually don't ask about the case, they just look at move on. having it posted, or allowing people to talk to the whole group would allow them to tell their story globally...
Renegade
NeXus LAN Director

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2011, 06:14:06 PM »

I like the talk to the whole group idea.   I will implement that at the next time we do a case mod.    And I will mention it to Wes as well for LAN OC.

Renegade
NeXus LAN Director
Fildy
Camper

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2011, 06:20:07 PM »

Just as a precursor, I’m not trying to offend or criticize anyone with this post; I just have questions about this “contest” at the LAN’s lately. I appreciate you not taking this the wrong way as it’s not directed negatively at anyone, just a general observation over the past few years.
As a non-modder (at least not enough to enter the contest) what makes a PC worthy of entering a contest? I have a Cooler Master Scout case. It comes with all red fans, but I’ve replaced them all with blue fans, I’ve also added lights to the sides, I’ve spent lots of time hiding all the wires and also installing an aftermarket CPU cooler. After hanging out with JJ’s mods or some of the awesome crazy ones at LAN OC by other people (ie: Minecraft, entire old gaming system mod, fish tank…) it just seems like painting the case is the new wave of the future. While I think that’s cool, I just have questions on what else was done with the case. Water cooling, other holes cut, special lights ordered...
I’d like to challenge modders to come up with a quick 30 sec description of their case and what they’ve actually modded. Or maybe post up their work log on the website prior to the LAN, or maybe just write something up so that people can see what the case original looked like so we can see what was actually done. Some of these cases come pre-modded.  I just hate to think that someone who spent lots of time hiding wires, buying special coatings for the ones you can see, installing lights, cutting holes for water cooling, building the case from scratch or whatever else that can be done isn’t being considered because someone was able to find someone to paint their case for them. To me it’s like doing a contest for over-clocking and just giving the prize to the person who spent the most on the hardware, instead of taking into account the specs of what they had to work with and their skill in actually making it run faster…
Again, I think the painting is very cool, but unless you airbrushed it yourself, or designed it yourself, should it count as a Mod? At least enough to enter a contest? Maybe I’m just a little bitter that I’m not that creative or good with my hands, I just hate to think that the guy who spent his blood sweat and tears totally re-doing a case, is beat by someone who just has a already cool case painted, or by installing a lighted fan, if the case didn’t come with them already…
This all stems from looking at the mod in CPU mag, and reading that he build the case from scratch and how cool that was. So I just mainly wanna know what you did to your case, so I’m not just judging on what I can see, but also what was done to get it that way.
Again sorry if I offended anyone, but that wasn’t my intention, I just wanna elevate the level of this contest.

I don't think you should have offended anyone with this post. And I do not intend to offend anyone with mine.

I would like to say this however, I don't think there are any restrictions on entering a case mod contest, and therefore there should be no issues with the contest itself. With a contest like this it comes down to what the voters think. Sometimes it works out like it should, sometimes it doesn't, thats what happens when you let a group of voters decide instead of a panel of judges. I don't think anything needs changed. I remember Plague's case before this one, and it certainly wasn't just a "painted case" nor was this one in my opinion. I think the one that Plague had was the coolest one there, but that is just my opinion. Other people felt the same way, and therefore he won the contest.

If we want to talk about he biggest injustice in a case mod contest, we can talk about when BillyBob built a claptrap case from the ground up, and lost to a case with a few lights and flowers on the side. Why did someone who DESERVED to win not win? Because that is how the voting works, the gamers get to vote, and the gamers decided that it wasn't to be. Sometimes we have injustice, but its not like we have voter fraud going on. In the end all of the cases are cool and blow mine out of the water so I don't feel I can judge well enough who "deserves" it the most so I just vote for the mod that I think is the coolest.

Also, I agree with your last post. I think that the owner of the case going in front of the group and giving a story and description of the case would be an excellent edition to the way the contest is run. Normally I go around and ask myself what was done to get the case into its current state. I regret that I did not do this at Nexus Lan 9, but I was way to busy raging at HoN.

Just my 2c.
Action
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2011, 10:53:59 PM »

If we want to talk about he biggest injustice in a case mod contest, we can talk about when BillyBob built a claptrap case from the ground up, and lost to a case with a few lights and flowers on the side. Why did someone who DESERVED to win not win? Because that is how the voting works, the gamers get to vote, and the gamers decided that it wasn't to be. Sometimes we have injustice, but its not like we have voter fraud going on. In the end all of the cases are cool and blow mine out of the water so I don't feel I can judge well enough who "deserves" it the most so I just vote for the mod that I think is the coolest.

Also, I agree with your last post. I think that the owner of the case going in front of the group and giving a story and description of the case would be an excellent edition to the way the contest is run. Normally I go around and ask myself what was done to get the case into its current state. I regret that I did not do this at Nexus Lan 9, but I was way to busy raging at HoN.

Just my 2c.
I agree.  Billybob's case was the best then.  Also I too think it is a great idea to have the case modders stand up and talk about their mod. Etc...

I will have to go look at the post thread, but unless I am mistaken, only about 30-40% of attendees even voted.  Thats a bit disappointing.  I like the idea of votes are in the forums.  As more people coming and partipating in the forums is good for the entire community.

[TC] Action
Website Administrator - NeXus LAN
XBox Live: ActionRZ
twodavez
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2011, 02:38:15 AM »

Also, i know there is a level of WOW factor in showing off the hard work at the LAN, but i always enjoy looking at build logs for the Cases. Could you allow the people who built these awesome cases to post up their work on a private topic that you could open up at the LAN?
Renegade
NeXus LAN Director

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2011, 02:39:37 AM »

There more then welcome to post build logs here.   Can be in PC discussion, NeXus General does not matter reallly.  Would love to see those kinda post!

Renegade
NeXus LAN Director
garfi3ld
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2011, 04:10:54 AM »

Although there is no offense taken to this. I feel like dave's post is directly more at me because my case itself is a limited edition case painted by Smooth Creations. And as plague know, I was actually glad that I didn't win. I agree that I think people should consider asking what is done to the case. I also noticed that only 31 people voted in the contest as a whole, out of 80 people. Of those 31 I only had a chance to talk to one person about what was done to my PC, and even that person I actually stopped and asked if they had any questions. I think everyone's definition of a case mod contest is different, I personally (coming from a car modding background) prefer to look at the details. I have seen MANY mods ruined in my eyes because of bad fit or finish or just a bad choice in colors components, or mods. Sometimes more mods can hurt the look and other times a lack of mods make it look to basic.

As for my mod, here is a link to the original build log.

http://lanoc.org/forum/20-your-rig/14193-qi-amq-build-log

I did make a few changes two nights before the LAN this weekend including pulling a 400 and 300 motherboards apart for parts to be able to get my water cooling to work with the new socket size from intel, hiding two more SSD's behind the motherboard tray, putting in the new video cards, and swapping out a boring old fan still left in it. I wouldn't consider it to be anything close to what some case modders go through. But in a LAN setting I think its a little less about the mods done and more like a car show when you have best of show. When your only pulling from 80 gamers the amount of mods you will get at all are still fairly limited. The "modder" isn't always even a "gamer".

Here is plagues build log for those who would like to see it.
http://lanoc.org/forum/20-your-rig/17040-plagues-green-phoenix-phantom

Truth be told Plagues mod is very similar to mine in a lot of ways, with the main differences being different painters (smooth creations with mine and his being someone local). I am far more excited as to what he is hoping to do to his than what it is now.

More than anything I am worried that the logic you have going for the case modding contest might lead to more people doing poor quality mods just to throw something together. More of a quantity of mods over quality situation. Also to address Billy Bob's mod, there are two reasons he did not win that case mod. First, ANY case mod contest that has a public vote will have people making sure their friends are voting for them, no matter how good the mod is. Second, in that situation his case mod was still far from finished. He actually put on a coat of primer just hours before heading to the LAN.
garfi3ld
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2011, 04:17:49 AM »

Also Dave there are three different kinds of Case Modding.

Found Object
Building a PC into something that you find sitting around, a good example of this is a PC built into a Nintendo

Scratch Build
building a case from nothing (ie: Billy Bobs case)

Traditional Mod
This is cutting or painting your traditional case
Creel
Camper

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2011, 05:32:52 AM »

I mean as far as my case goes I don't really have anything crazy extraordinary done to it.  I mean I have put a lot of time and money into mine getting it almost to a point where I like it.  I like a clean looking case not a fan of painting one but that's just me Plaque's looked good it's just I would change my mind of what it should look like too many times. 

I would like to get more indepth into modding but on a $120 case I'm not gonna go and start cutting it all too pieces and mess something up granted I did do some cutting on the case already but it took me 2 hours just to make a cut on my case.  Also was my first venture into watercooling and can't find any waterblocks for my graphics cards I like so I guess I'm still not completely to the finished stage of my PC at all. 

To me anything is a mod you take an orginal product and alter it to your liking that's my idea and each person has a different idea of what they like (crazy cut up builds or clean builds). I mean some people could have hours into a case and one not even know it just because of tiny details they tried to accomplish.
twodavez
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2011, 01:06:31 PM »

The main person i was thinking about when i posting about the painting was the guy who several LAN OC's ago had a wolf on the side of his case. It was cool, and i'm not judging, it was just the first painting i really saw that was the "Mod" he even had a lighting system that came off the case and pointed back at the case. I just think of a mod being something you do yourself, but again that's where the opinion and voting even matters. I'm not trying to hate or focus on any one person,a nd maybe sometimes it's better to be a little more out there on my initial post as it creates a little drama and more discussions.
I'll admit sometimes i say somehting off color to get a rise out of someone, but it's never mean, it's just to envoke people enough to reply  Grin
gfx
Pages: [1] Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx gfx