Ohio's Largest PC Gaming Community & LAN Party

gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

NeXus LAN 24 was fantastic!!!  We will miss seeing everyone, but hope to see some of you at other LAN's down the line.   Thank you everyone for years of support and fun!!!!

gfx gfx
gfx
11324 Posts in 2476 Topics by 414 Members - Latest Member: Hanlin March 28, 2024, 11:24:30 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
      « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Quakecon 2013 (Aug 1-4)  (Read 12335 times)
twodavez
« on: February 26, 2013, 03:58:38 PM »

Save the date has been announced:
Quakecon 2013 will be Aug 1 - 4 at the Hilton Anatole Hotel in Dallas, Tx.
More details to follow...
Renegade
NeXus LAN Director

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 05:40:56 PM »

Pass once was enough.

Renegade
NeXus LAN Director
Action
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2013, 10:09:52 PM »

You had to remind me Smiley lol

Unless I won a 100% full paid trip or something, there is no way I am going!

[TC] Action
Website Administrator - NeXus LAN
XBox Live: ActionRZ
twodavez
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2013, 01:26:42 PM »

It's not for everyone. I had enough fun that i'm planning a carfull down there. I just thought it was worth mentioning in the other lan parties section since it is the LARGEST "Lan" party in North america, even though we found out, it's only a LAN with the people at your table...

Still a fun event and the more i learn about it, the more i realize i missed because i was playing games ;-)
bis
N00b

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2013, 01:38:44 PM »

I am definitely going to do my very best to go this year. I have not been to Qcon since 2003, 10 years but, I went back to back in 02'/03'. I really love quake! And even though I may lose again in the big tournament, it's pretty much the ONLY way you can get a quake tourney these days!!! LOL

It is always nice to see other people hype on qcon  Cool
twodavez
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2013, 02:07:21 PM »

For all things Quakecon, check out the unofficial forums:
http://www.qconforums.org/
bis
N00b

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2013, 10:43:07 AM »

Does anyone play Quake at Nexus Lan?HuhHuh
Action
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2013, 12:16:26 AM »

Does anyone play Quake at Nexus Lan?HuhHuh
We do occasionally even as far back as Quake 2 Instagib.

[TC] Action
gigzilla
Frag Bait

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2013, 09:36:05 AM »

Went in 02. It owned.

Even with my giant blue case, and crt I had to carry through the longass byoc line back then..  Cheesy
Renegade
NeXus LAN Director

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2013, 12:55:51 PM »

In '02 I would expect it was better in the byoc since all the restrictions etc had not been put in place.   If it was a normal lan party with everyone being able to see each PC, setup open games anyone could join etc it would be a lot better but locking things down as they are now with only being able to see the PC's at your table is like going to a mini lan with 23 people but in a room of 1000's.

Renegade
NeXus LAN Director
twodavez
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2013, 02:06:08 PM »

In '02 I would expect it was better in the byoc since all the restrictions etc had not been put in place.   If it was a normal lan party with everyone being able to see each PC, setup open games anyone could join etc it would be a lot better but locking things down as they are now with only being able to see the PC's at your table is like going to a mini lan with 23 people but in a room of 1000's.

There has been alot of conversation about this on the Unofficial quakecon forums. Someone is creating a website that will crawl through all the sub nets to find LAN games and post their IP's so that they can be connected to directly. The problem all started with the illegal file sharing that was rampant and actually why many people attended Quakecon in the past. At least that's what i keep hearing as the reason why it is the way it is.
I agree with you Renegade, but even with my limited understanding of networking, i couldn't imagine allowing 1000's of users complete access to everyone else's PC on a truely open network. Not even business have this type of access across their networks, and they have all the lock-downs they want installed on every machine.
It sure would be interesting if they said: "If you install this piece of software, you can have full access to the network." with that software being a tracking piece to prevent the file sharing. You know no-one would install it as it would be like Big Brother watching all your moves at the LAN...
Renegade
NeXus LAN Director

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2013, 02:15:16 PM »

I have been to 1000's person lans before and anyone could see anyone else's PC, games could be started an otehrs could just join from the client etc no issues

Renegade
NeXus LAN Director
Action
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2013, 03:01:04 PM »

Yeah at one time Million Man LAN was almost as large as Quake Con and it had no problem at all with seeing other PCs, etc.  Sure it is always a risk having your PC on a network of 1000s of other PCs.  But no where near as risky if your PC is directly connected to the internet without a hardware firewall (router) in place.

[TC] Action
gfx
Pages: [1] Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx gfx