Ohio's Largest PC Gaming Community & LAN Party

gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

NeXus LAN 24 was fantastic!!!  We will miss seeing everyone, but hope to see some of you at other LAN's down the line.   Thank you everyone for years of support and fun!!!!

gfx gfx
gfx
11324 Posts in 2476 Topics by 414 Members - Latest Member: Hanlin March 29, 2024, 01:25:53 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
      « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: UT2k4 over UT3?  (Read 12066 times)
spyware89
« on: March 26, 2013, 03:15:12 PM »

This was just a question I realized while voting and hadn't really thought of an answer so I thought I would ask. Why not be considering UT3 instead of UT2k4? I have only played UT3 for a few minutes at a time, so I haven't really noticed any large mechanic changes from UT2k4. I just didn't know if it was something along the lines of why COD4 is always on the list (because COD4 is the last COD that didn't intentionally screw pc gamers [especially in LAN settings], have uber powered knifing, and all the other annoyances that the rest bring) or if it was a matter of difficulty to setup a server for UT3, or just that UT2k4 always had a much larger player following than UT3 for some reason.

Again, not a criticism, just being curious.
Renegade
NeXus LAN Director

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 03:18:56 PM »

Pretty much what you said.  UT2k4 had/has a larger installed base, easier to run, does not requirement internet etc.    In the past when trying to do UT3 most would ask that it be UT2k4 so pretty much UT3 gets looked over as in general UT2k4 is a better game. 

Renegade
NeXus LAN Director
spyware89
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2013, 03:29:15 PM »

Ah, I didn't realize it required internet too. That's a shame, the UT3 engine is soo pretty. At least comparatively. UT2k4 is still one of the all time greats for multiplayer though
Renegade
NeXus LAN Director

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2013, 03:34:38 PM »

It does but doesnt.  If you want to log into your account etc it requires net access.  Just to play no it will run local. but so many prefer 2k4 that it kinda gets forgotten to be honest anymore.   I took it off our server as when I would run it at events people would be in 2k4 but not ut3 all the time.

Renegade
NeXus LAN Director
gigzilla
Frag Bait

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2013, 05:08:26 AM »

I forgot ut3 was even a thing, so I read thread title as "UT2k4 over UT2k3" and thought it was a bit ridiculous
Jabbernaut
Frag Bait

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2013, 03:20:06 PM »

In many ways, UT2004 was the superior game anyways. It's one of those situations where it's hard to describe why; the engine just felt smoother. You really have to play both games for yourself to notice the difference. I had played UT2004 for years and was really excited for UT3 when it came out, but was ultimately let down as I lost interest in the game really quickly. It just didn't have the same appeal.

On a less performance-related note, the Gears of War-style art direction also seemed out of place for this game.
gfx
Pages: [1] Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx gfx