Ohio's Largest PC Gaming Community & LAN Party

gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

NeXus LAN 24 was fantastic!!!  We will miss seeing everyone, but hope to see some of you at other LAN's down the line.   Thank you everyone for years of support and fun!!!!

gfx gfx
gfx
11324 Posts in 2476 Topics by 414 Members - Latest Member: Hanlin March 28, 2024, 12:04:25 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
      « previous next »
Poll
Question: Which 3 game modes would you like to see in the COD 4 Tournament (vote for 3)  (Voting closed: April 19, 2013, 07:30:36 PM)
Headquarters - 19 (18.1%)
Team Deathmatch - 27 (25.7%)
Domination - 26 (24.8%)
Search & Destory - 22 (21%)
Sabotage - 11 (10.5%)
Total Voters: 25

Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Call of Duty Tournament Game Modes (Vote for 3)  (Read 17889 times)
Renegade
NeXus LAN Director

View Profile
« on: April 09, 2013, 07:30:36 PM »

Please vote for the 3 modes you would like to see played in the COD 4 tournament.

Each round will be 3 rounds consisting of the top 3 game modes from this vote. So if the top 3 in order are Dom, HQ, DM then that would the the modes an order used in the tournament.

Admins will pick the maps used in each round.

Renegade
NeXus LAN Director
GetSomE
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2013, 11:16:41 PM »

Admins will pick the maps used in each round.

May I inquire as to whom will be the admin picking maps. I would like to protest on the use of the map Broadcast being used with gametype Domination.

Over the past few years we have played COD4 at the lan this map/gametype combo has appeared everytime. I would like to point out that the placements of the capture points in Broadcast, heavily favor one team over the other, as two of the points are in very close proximity to one another.

I would happily be willing to offer better map pairings for the gametype. Crash, DIstrict and Strike, IMHO are far better replacements.

I hope you take my words into consideration and thank you for your time.

Renegade
NeXus LAN Director

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2013, 12:36:33 AM »

Getsome sounds good man an no problem we wont use that combo.    And once the 3 are picked please feel free to make suggestions for each 3 modes!

Thank you for the input very much appreciated.!

Renegade
NeXus LAN Director
GetSomE
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2013, 05:36:44 PM »

Getsome sounds good man an no problem we wont use that combo.    And once the 3 are picked please feel free to make suggestions for each 3 modes!

Thank you for the input very much appreciated.!

And thank you as well. I most definetly would like to share my input on maps. Will be checking back soon.
Renegade
NeXus LAN Director

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2013, 06:30:28 PM »

Getsome go ahead an post up map suggestions for the top 3 or 4 modes.   I will be making a test server for this weekends mini lan.    If your interested there is still 1 slot left for the mini lan as well.

Renegade
NeXus LAN Director
Jabbernaut
Frag Bait

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2013, 09:03:00 AM »

Why was Freeze Tag listed as a seperate game and not a game mode? I would gladly vote for it as 1 of the 3 tournament modes.
Renegade
NeXus LAN Director

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2013, 11:47:14 AM »

Because we considered base COD 4 and Freeze tag to be different games.    Freeze tag is not a built in mode of COD 4.

Renegade
NeXus LAN Director
Lincoln7
Sniper

What's your favorite planet?? Mine's the sun...

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2013, 02:55:43 PM »

I can't understand why everyone is so in love with Search & Destroy mode...Headquarters is by far a more straight-forward and balanced team-play mode and requires cooperative teamwork in order to be effectively won.  Search and Destroy mode is for hotdogs and lone wolves, IMO.
shocka
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2013, 10:00:06 PM »

My only problem with HQ is that if you're playing with less experienced players than they tend to neglect the objective and stray off to just getting kills.  Since HQ is based on holding down a location after it appears on the map less experienced players tend to get lost on what they are supposed to be doing after the HQ is destroyed.  At least with domination the three points are static so you don't have to worry as much although noobs still tend to stray off and play it like it's TDM.  SD also requires cooperative teamwork if not more so than HQ for the simple fact that pushing an objective on offense while playing SD needs to be coordinated to be effective.  The only way you're going to win an offensive round on SD doing your own thing is if the other team is horrible and has no idea how to play the game period.  I wouldn't mind playing HQ but I would much rather play DOM out of the two considering it takes the most team effort of all the game types.  With it being SD, TDM, and DOM you get a different experience in each one overall, with HQ, TDM, and DOM you have two game types that are somewhat similar.
Lincoln7
Sniper

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2013, 05:54:35 PM »

I hear ya. TD and DOM are great, and your points regarding the static nature of the checkpoints in DOM I agree with. However, you can make the same kind of argument with SD regarding the issue with new or inexperienced players not knowing what to do. In SD, it is doubly a problem, because you don't re-spawn until the next round, which can be problematic if more experienced players are left behind to try and outlast while the other team picks them off one by one.

The primary question for me regarding each mode is not whether team-work is an option; you can make that argument for all of the game modes and vice-versa. To me the question is are you more or less likely to win with or without teamwork in that game mode?

In TD, for example, you could have an entire team of noobs and one experienced player, and if all the noobs run around trying to hotdog it and get eliminated, the experienced player is the only one left. Now, he may be skilled enough to still win if he is smart and takes his time, but it's LESS likely for him to win, because he has lost all his team mates and the other team who may have most or all of their team still intact can now close in on him, if they are all working together. If the noobs re-spawn and figure out that they have to work together now, they might just be able to turn the tables and help the more experienced player turn the tide and end up winning, but it's a gamble.

In SD mode, let's say it's the same team. All noobs on one side with one experienced player. So the noobs run around spraying and end up killing let's say a couple or a few of the other team, but the noobs again are all eliminated leaving the more experienced player by himself. With no re-spawn, all the noobs are put until the next round, but so are the guys from the other team that were eliminated, too.  If the more experienced player plays it smart, he might be able to pick off the remaining team players one by one as they come to him, and since they don't re-spawn, with each elimination, it lessens the odds against him. So it's not AS LIKELY that he will lose without teamwork.

That's all.  I wasn't trying to say that team-work isn't used or needed in one mode over another; I'm just saying teamwork makes it more likely for you to win in certain modes more so than others; in this case SD versus HQ or TD or DOM.
twodavez
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2013, 06:06:42 PM »

As one of those noobs you've referred to, i can say that i'm never the person who wins a match for my team. I try not to be the first out, but i know my place, and it's to be the human shield, walking around the corner first to get the grenade thrown at me, and save the rest of my team.

Agreed that one good player on a team can make a big enough difference. I've only won tourneys because of those good people.
Lincoln7
Sniper

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2013, 09:19:10 PM »

As one of those noobs you've referred to, i can say that i'm never the person who wins a match for my team. I try not to be the first out, but i know my place, and it's to be the human shield, walking around the corner first to get the grenade thrown at me, and save the rest of my team.

Agreed that one good player on a team can make a big enough difference. I've only won tourneys because of those good people.

LOL, Good point.  I suck rocks at most of the games we play, anyways, so I am usually the first one out my own self.
GetSomE
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2013, 11:08:19 PM »

My sugestions for maps/gametype

TDM: Wetwork*, Overgrown, Chinatown
DOM: Crash*, District, Block
SD: Vacant*, Crossfire, Strike

The *'s indicate my opinion as best maps for the chosen gametypes. While wetwork can be a bit nade spammy at times, with even teams I still believe it to be well balanced.
Crash is always a great map for DOM. Was the core map our clan played DOM on for ever. Vancant has been widely heralded as the best SD map for COD4. Was used in tournaments around the world.

I hope this helps. Thanks again for taking my sugestions into consideration.
GetSomE
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2013, 11:19:35 PM »

While I am here I would also like to advocate for Hardcore mode. I actually can't recall if the lan, in the past, has ran Hardcore or Softcore. I am just a fan of Harcore as I do not like having to pump a half or even a whole magazine of ammo into my enemy before he/she dies.
Action
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2013, 01:37:54 AM »

While I am here I would also like to advocate for Hardcore mode. I actually can't recall if the lan, in the past, has ran Hardcore or Softcore. I am just a fan of Harcore as I do not like having to pump a half or even a whole magazine of ammo into my enemy before he/she dies.
It has always been hardcore mode at NeXus LANs.

[TC] Action
Website Administrator - NeXus LAN
XBox Live: ActionRZ
gfx
Pages: [1] Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx gfx