Ohio's Largest PC Gaming Community & LAN Party

gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

NeXus LAN 24 was fantastic!!!  We will miss seeing everyone, but hope to see some of you at other LAN's down the line.   Thank you everyone for years of support and fun!!!!

gfx gfx
gfx
11324 Posts in 2476 Topics by 414 Members - Latest Member: Hanlin April 19, 2024, 01:19:36 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
      « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: League of Legends Tournament Rules - Prizes supplied by Riot Games  (Read 57160 times)
twodavez
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2013, 10:58:15 PM »

I would be willing to run a Bring Your Own Team if you go that direction and would have the time and gave permissions to do it. I've offered at LAN OC also since it is such a controversial game with random teams, and it's a Hugely popular game.
DarkEgo
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2013, 11:37:01 PM »

Thank you Riot Games!!!!
Action
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2013, 03:15:26 AM »

Quite frankly I am inclined to try and do tournament games going forward that do not have lvl's or you can hack bump your lvl to max to avoid this kinda thing as we are a fun event not a competitive event and want all to be able to play if they want.    EG I dont want people losing because others have a higher toon, if they loose because of skill so be it.
Yeah I totally agree.  Sucks so many games are like this now.  But LoL evidently has such a very big advantage on level (which is one reason I lost interest in it).  In other games such as the BF and CoD series, there is not such a a large impact with higher levels...  The newbie guns and pre-made starting classes are actually not bad.

[TC] Action
Website Administrator - NeXus LAN
XBox Live: ActionRZ
cheatch
Camper

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2013, 03:37:44 AM »

I just want to personally thank all the people who did join the tournament even though they didn't meet the lvl 10 requirement or 16 champs for draft mode.

Without these people, we wouldn't of had enough for the RP prizes.

Everyone in the tournament had an equal chance to be rolled with a good team and these official tournaments are just for fun.

Tournament participation was really high (42 ppl just for LoL) and 20 of the ppl got RP ($250+).

If LoL wins the RTS tournament vote and Riot Game gives RP for it, I will probably doing the same thing if I can't get 40 people in.
Cra2hgirl
« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2013, 06:19:36 PM »

I don't think many of the teams were balanced for any of the tournies as they were just put in a randomizer with skill level not being a factor.  In the COD tourney, the two young girls got on the same team and that team didn't throw a fit about it as it was all in fun.  With that being said, I think it makes for better experience for everyone when the teams are more balanced.  I liked the old way we used to divide teams when people would put in their skill level, and we would divide up the advanced players, divide up the new players, and then randomly place the average players.  Yes, it causes problems when people aren't honest, and sometimes it's hard to distinguish between what you think is advanced and what others think are advanced.  But, I remember one tournament that we ran when teams were divided like this that every game in the bracket came down to tie-breaker games.   This was the time I was new to COD and I had to defuse the bomb and was the only one left and Fildy was yelling "F!  It's the 'F" key!!!"  ...... I defused it with zero seconds left.  I still have nightmares, LOL.  Is it possible to divide up the levels in LoL like this?  Everyone could list their level and then the staff could divide up the high level players and then randomly add the lower levels?  Of course, not everyone is going to be happy when it'd done like this either, but it's Just a thought.
Ronster
l33t

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2013, 12:04:56 AM »

I myself liked randomizeing the teams and let the chips fall where they did that way doesn't matter who lies about there skill lvl cause no one knows. otherwise id say bring your own team and see who has the better team.
cheatch
Camper

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2013, 12:50:01 AM »

Yes, I agree with Ronster.

If you are interested in high competitive matches at the LAN, I would suggest having unofficial "losers buy winners drinks" exhibition matches in the off hours.

Another benefit of randomized teams is that it allows myself / Ronster (or anyone else involved in the tournaments in the future) to play in the tournament without a conflict of interest.
f1cti0n
« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2013, 09:51:30 PM »

I thought it was a good tourney.. I liked the teams not everyone on my team was experienced although they were all 30.
Action
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2013, 09:02:52 AM »

Another benefit of randomized teams is that it allows myself / Ronster (or anyone else involved in the tournaments in the future) to play in the tournament without a conflict of interest.
Curious... how is either way going to be a conflict of interest?  Skill based + random is still random, it just randoms everyone evenly based on skill.  The system was programmed for it, so might as well take advantage of it.

[TC] Action
cheatch
Camper

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2013, 01:45:20 PM »

Skill is relative, you truly don't know who is really good or not.

It is a conflict of interest because it would give the staff an opportunity to manipulate the system so they (or friends / family) always end up with an above average team.

People would still bitch about their teams with the added bonus of also accusing the staff of stacking the teams (Especially if a staff happens to win a tournament).

Keep in mind these tournaments are designed to be just for fun. Complaining about what team you got rolled with is bad sportsmanship and discourages new people from joining the tournaments.

twodavez
« Reply #40 on: May 28, 2013, 04:40:12 PM »

Curious... how is either way going to be a conflict of interest?  Skill based + random is still random, it just randoms everyone evenly based on skill.  The system was programmed for it, so might as well take advantage of it.

In LAN's past it seemed to be random with skill taken into account. I didn't think that random teams was truly going to be everyone in a hat and teams being picked blindly with no use of the skills everyone put when they signed up online, or the level's they put down on the paper sign-up sheet. In the past the level 30's were divided out, then the under 30's accordingly to make for some-what even teams with the spirit of fun being the goal.
As mentioned time and time again, LoL doesn't fit into any mold of tournament that we currently have in the local LAN scene. Staff will continue to do what they think is best for their event. Thanks for taking the suggestions and conversation(s) into account. I'm pretty sure no-one is trying to hurt the LAN, but help the LAN be strong and something they want to continue to attend and bring their friends.
Renegade
NeXus LAN Director

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 28, 2013, 06:37:05 PM »

It is supposed to be random by skill lvl.   I will take the blame on that as I had 2 new people putting together the teams and I didnt make sure they knew how we did the teams based on skill lvl to get more evenly rounded teams.   That will be addressed and fixed.

Renegade
NeXus LAN Director
neoaethelwulf
N00b

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 03, 2013, 05:37:21 PM »

Quite frankly I am inclined to try and do tournament games going forward that do not have lvl's or you can hack bump your lvl to max to avoid this kinda thing as we are a fun event not a competitive event and want all to be able to play if they want.    EG I dont want people losing because others have a higher toon, if they loose because of skill so be it.
Yeah I totally agree.  Sucks so many games are like this now.  But LoL evidently has such a very big advantage on level (which is one reason I lost interest in it).  In other games such as the BF and CoD series, there is not such a a large impact with higher levels...  The newbie guns and pre-made starting classes are actually not bad.

As someone who does play LoL quite a bit, I can tell you that summoner lvl does not make much of a difference. The benefits of rune pages and masteries are not that significant. Some of my best games I have accidently selected the wrong runes and masteries. I have a smurf account that I use to play with friends who have just started the game, and I can usually steamroll the other team. When I play my main account, I frequently encounter really bad lvl 30 players. The great thing about LoL is that everyone starts each round at lvl 1, with the same amount of gold to spend. It is all player skill, no one has a higher lvl toon. The only thing having a lvl 30 account means is that you have casually played the game a few months.
   Massive Online Battle Arena games allow people like me who liked mmo pvp, to transition to a game that is not unbalanced by better gear and higher lvl toons. I agree with Ronster and Cheatch, that totally random is the way to go, at least for LoL. If you make it random with skill, what is to stop players from smurfing just to ensure that their teammates are experienced? I believe the only fair way to have a LoL tournament is totally random or totally premade/draft picked. I lean towards totally random so that more players get a chance to play and compete for RP. My team had two very inexperienced players and we got knocked out of the tournament in the first round. That's just how it goes though, I still had fun at the event and I don't think the tournament should be ran any differently.
   As for the newbies guns in CoD, the red dot from a higher lvl player is a really big advantage. I'm not the greatest CoD player, and starting at lvl 1 in the tournament was a pretty big disadvantage. I asked around and no one offered to hack bump my account. At least in LoL at the beginning of each round, all champions start at lvl 1 and have a cap of 18.
Action
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 03, 2013, 11:15:55 PM »

As for the newbies guns in CoD, the red dot from a higher lvl player is a really big advantage. I'm not the greatest CoD player, and starting at lvl 1 in the tournament was a pretty big disadvantage. I asked around and no one offered to hack bump my account. At least in LoL at the beginning of each round, all champions start at lvl 1 and have a cap of 18.
Actually if your skilled at COD the newbie classes it gives you can and will dominate even a full level char especially on hard mode.  COD Blobs 2 definitely falls in with that as well.

[TC] Action
neoaethelwulf
N00b

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 04, 2013, 04:45:11 PM »

Actually if your skilled at COD the newbie classes it gives you can and will dominate even a full level char especially on hard mode.  COD Blobs 2 definitely falls in with that as well.

I'm not skilled enough at CoD to do decently without a good scope. My point was about LoL though. I think it is unfair to say summoner level affects fairness anymore than a fps. If there is any aspect that should be taken into play when determining teams, it should be age, not skill.

Skill is relative and cannot be accurately tracked. With this being a strategy game, young players are a big handicap.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx gfx