Ohio's Largest PC Gaming Community & LAN Party

gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

NeXus LAN 24 was fantastic!!!  We will miss seeing everyone, but hope to see some of you at other LAN's down the line.   Thank you everyone for years of support and fun!!!!

gfx gfx
gfx
11324 Posts in 2476 Topics by 414 Members - Latest Member: Hanlin March 28, 2024, 10:27:41 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
      « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print
Author Topic: League of Legends Tournament Rules - Prizes supplied by Riot Games  (Read 56052 times)
twodavez
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2013, 12:52:24 AM »

Big LoL patch... Not sure how old it is, but i thought i updated last night also...

Make sure you're patched before the LAN! It'll help us all out with getting going.
cheatch
Camper

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2013, 07:59:47 PM »

Ashe
3. GodofGrunts
18. Angrypirate
6. GetSome
7. CelticRitter
26. Debo

Brand
34. Gigzilla
25. Novek
15. SleeplessDawn
1. lineshot
23. NeoAethoelWulf

Corki
36. Vogelom
20. GraveTroll
33. Tekgome
30. MohawkMike
4. LERSAR

Draven
28. CaptainAssBurgers
16. TwoDavez
17. Teejzrorz
40. Code
21. Plague

Ezreal
39. Mugrage
38. Fiction
37. Fildy
19. NPZR
5. Soothaq

Fizz
8. Gerry
27. Vozzinki
13. Myth13
32. SQVEEGE
11. Jingo

Graves
35. Partisan
31. AntiPro
10. Talerin
12. Kyler
24. SlickNick

Virt

Hecarium
22. pixieshimmer
9. anonymous4u
2. Overlord
14. Wolfbait
29. Nick_wic

Logic

The bracket is on http://challonge.com/NeXuSTEST
twodavez
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2013, 04:35:21 PM »

Way to call me out.  Grin
but, in all honesty I don't think me being level 5 had anything to do with us losing. Yeah, I was a bit "inexperienced" compared to others but, that is to be expected when playing in a tourney at a LAN. Especially when it's random teams.

I wasn't saying you were a bad player, i know i didn't have a good game. But especially early game, having the runes and skill points available to a level 30 really does make a big difference in the game. I wasn't trying to call you out personally, more just that at level 5 as mentioned before, head to head with yourself at level 30 (so your current skill level, same champs, but different user level) you're going to loose every time. Especially if you're a pro enough level 30 player with specific rune books for each champ. Then with it being blind pick, we had some bad lanes that would've been that way if we could've seen who they were picking.
I thought you played well, i'll be the first to say that Soraka was a bad pick for bot and i played her bad, ESPECIALLY against two strong burst champs bot (Cat & Ez).

When all was said and done, i guess i would've rather have seen the limit not be user account level, but champs available as blind pick is *hard to do in a tournament setting.* I personally would've given up the riot prizes for something small from the table for winning, in order to not have the rules changed last minute (we didn't know until we had already invited the other team, then had to re-make). Maybe next time put something like that up to a vote and let the players choose if they want to allow a level 10 or 20 on their team in order for chances at Riot prizes. Just felt bait and switch a little and didn't leave a good taste in my mouth for the tournaments.

not to mention that there were 2 people who didn't get on the paper due to signing up online that we could've stuck with the original level requirement.

*Edited to remove the word "Terrible". It didn't test well with my focus group.
Lersar
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2013, 07:49:53 PM »

From what I remember, NeXus staff went way out of their way to find interest in the LoL tournament. I'm surprised to hear there was anyone who wanted to participate and didn't make it. I do understand the confusion between online and paper sign up, but I saw staff go around to what I'm pretty sure was each table individually to get people signed up.

My team also had some players that were under the initial requirements, the majority actually. But I don't think that really would've made much of a difference honestly. I agree with Dave in that the summoner level isn't even necessarily a measure of player skill but does indicate lacking a lot of resources available to a level 30, such as runes, etc. In fact, if a level requirement is incorporated, I'd recommend at least level 12 as summoners unlock the spell Flash for use, which is a huge part of the game.

Anywho, regardless of the outcome I thought it was really cool to have even participated in a "Riot Sanctioned Tournament". It's a tough call to make in that situation. I do understand where you're coming from, referring to keeping the requirements and just choosing a "local" prize. But I bet the winning team feels different, and I think we all would in their shoes. We all had the same odds of being in those shoes.

Thanks to Riot and NeXus for arranging that and going beyond to make sure we had the opportunity. And also thanks to those "low level" players who did decide to play when asked. That's an intimidating job to sign up for, hope you still had a good time.
Renegade
NeXus LAN Director

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2013, 07:54:28 PM »

Also with the Riot points the top 4 teams get points, with out that only the top 1 team would of gotten anything.    So really alot more people got things because we did get at least 40 to play.

Renegade
NeXus LAN Director
Action
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2013, 08:44:10 PM »

I am beinging to get the bad taste in my mouth for this game for LAN parties like I did for competitiveness and  repetitiveness of the original Counter Strike.   I.E. this thread is basically telling people who are new not to try the game at a LAN party.  A bad bad way to take the fun out of the LAN IMHO.

This is exactly the reason I do not have any interest in this game.

[TC] Action
Website Administrator - NeXus LAN
XBox Live: ActionRZ
twodavez
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2013, 08:54:26 PM »

I am beinging to get the bad taste in my mouth for this game for LAN parties like I did for competitiveness and  repetitiveness of the original Counter Strike.   I.E. this thread is basically telling people who are new not to try the game at a LAN party.  A bad bad way to take the fun out of the LAN IMHO.

Cod 4 is kinda the same way if you just have a pea shooter and everyone else has body armor, scopes, and special things, but there is a hack for that game that allows everyone to be level 60 or whatever so they can get the good stuff. LOL isn't like that which is why it matters, yo'ure not equal when you enter the arena, there are pretty big advantages before the match begins which is different than most games. That's why the level min and all that discussion prior.
twodavez
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2013, 08:57:54 PM »

From what I remember, NeXus staff went way out of their way to find interest in the LoL tournament. I'm surprised to hear there was anyone who wanted to participate and didn't make it. I do understand the confusion between online and paper sign up, but I saw staff go around to what I'm pretty sure was each table individually to get people signed up.

I know, i was asked multiple times before the tourney started and even yelled several times. I guess those people thought that list was just printed from the sign-up online and figured they were already on it. We (i was helping cheatch yell out the teams) even told them that people were litterally walking around finding people...

My team also had some players that were under the initial requirements, the majority actually. But I don't think that really would've made much of a difference honestly. I agree with Dave in that the summoner level isn't even necessarily a measure of player skill but does indicate lacking a lot of resources available to a level 30, such as runes, etc. In fact, if a level requirement is incorporated, I'd recommend at least level 12 as summoners unlock the spell Flash for use, which is a huge part of the game.

So you had multiple under level 30? there was a team with all level 30's so i'm not sure how you got two low people.
Lersar
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2013, 09:01:48 PM »

So you had multiple under level 30? there was a team with all level 30's so i'm not sure how you got two low people.

Three, actually. How is that confusing? Teams were assembled by random, correct? To my knowledge level 30 summoners weren't evenly distributed to teams.
Action
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2013, 09:03:55 PM »

Cod 4 is kinda the same way if you just have a pea shooter and everyone else has body armor, scopes, and special things, but there is a hack for that game that allows everyone to be level 60 or whatever so they can get the good stuff. LOL isn't like that which is why it matters, yo'ure not equal when you enter the arena, there are pretty big advantages before the match begins which is different than most games. That's why the level min and all that discussion prior.

Your missing my point though.  COD4 really never was a "competitive" game.  It is and has always been more about fun even with newbies playing, etc.  And as you mentioned anyone can us the hack to go to highest level, which I do not consider a cheat if your only doing this because you only play the game at LAN parties, etc). With that said the newbie gun or more specific the default classes in COD4 is actually pretty good. If your good at FPSs you could still win easily at level 1.

Your post complaining about a low level on your team and making them feel bad because you basically said that is why you lost... just reminded me of the terrible times I and many had at LANs when Counter Strike was a tournament.  At least I did not see people coming to this LAN just for LoL and leaving though... well I do not think anyone did.  I might be wrong though and if people did only come for that and leave than that makes this even more like other past LANs with CS tourneys.

[TC] Action
Lersar
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2013, 09:07:54 PM »

Your post complaining about a low level on your team and making them feel bad because you basically said that is why you lost... just reminded me of the terrible times I and many had at LANs when Counter Strike was a tournament.  At least I did not see people coming to this LAN just for LoL and leaving though... well I do not think anyone did.  I might be wrong though and if people did only come for that and leave than that makes this even more like other past LANs with CS tourneys.
I don't disagree with your point, but I don't think this is something unique to League of Legends. If you provide a prize for any game, people are going to be competitive. FPS is such a good example for me because I'm not very good at them Smiley So I'm usually on the receiving end of the "weakest link" complaints.
twodavez
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2013, 09:41:16 PM »

Whoa, i messaged him and we talked and are good. Please don't assume he feels bad, i'm not a Monster that for some reason i'm being made out to be.
My message to him right after he posted
"Calling you out
« Sent to: code on: Today at 12:38:08 PM »

I seriously wasn't trying to call you out, and i didn't mention anything bad about you. Please read my other post that i think clears up why i was not happy with a level 5 being on our team. It wasn't personal, it's just hard competing with a level 30 with tricked our rune books and 25 more skill points to use even before the game begins. I remember when i was level 25 and my friend explained to me why i was at a big disadvantage with just being 5 levels lower, not to mention 25 levels.
http://www.nexuslan.org/forums/index.php?topic=1847.msg10152#msg10152

No hard feelings, we had a bad game, and our pro players weren't able to carry like they would've liked. It happens"

His response

"Re: Calling you out
« Sent to: twodavez on: Today at 02:36:20 PM »
« You have forwarded or responded to this message. »

No, no, no. I defiantly didn't take it as you calling me out. I agree with you that it does suck to have a low level on your team, but in reality I don't think that is what lost us the game. Plus it being a random draw summoner didn't really help. Not going to lie.. The summoner I received I never played.

It is what it is, hopefully next LAN they will get some of the rules straight and I will be level 30 by then. ha-ha.
or a quake tourney would be nice. 

I will see you around. "

My final response to him

"Re: Calling you out
« Sent to: code on: Today at 02:44:30 PM »

It wasn't random, we choose who we wanted to play and what spot we wanted. I guess you should've been a little louder and spoke up as to your best/fav spot on the map.

I mainly messaged you to make sure there was no hard feelings about my post as that wasn't the intend and is no-where how i feel about you or our team. It takes a team to win and a team to loose.

Anyway, keep leveling up, plus you'll start playing with some people who take the game seriously when you random que. Let me know if there is anything you need help with or have questions about. I don't know it all, but have many pro 30's that i can put you in touch with."
Action
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2013, 10:18:17 PM »

What I took was from your post was you complaining about someone low level on your team as if that was the reason you lost.  But yeah looks like he was cool with it. But I am confused if you were not complaining about newbies and/or low level and on your team than what was your point?  Sorry if I am confused Smiley  Easy to do btw Smiley But I took it as you telling people not to play in the tournament if they are not high level?

Also did you delete your original post?

Maybe on that game when signing up everyone puts their level so teams can be more even? And it should be one of the things teams do is also help out their lower levels?

[TC] Action
twodavez
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2013, 10:32:05 PM »

I haven't deleted or Edited* any of my posts, if I made a mistake, I'm man enough to deal with the consequences, even if/when it results in my being banned...

So my point was that any person, not Code, but anyone, who is level 5 is at a huge disadvantage against a person of same skill level but with level 30 abilities, runes, and skills. I had this explained to me when I was level 20 and a team of my friends didn't want me because even if I was matched up against a person of my skill level but a level 30, there wasn't a way for me to compete. and when you bring your own team, it's game on!

If you'll recall we had a large debate, not started by me, over on LAN OC's forums about the min level of people playing in the LoL tourney, we even did that here and Cheatch, who knows the game, went ahead and put in the level 10 cap. If you don't play the game, it's really hard to understand even the difference between a level 25 person and a level 30 person.

*I did edit my original post (that's been deleted at this point) to have the correct sponsor info. In the heat of the moment i had forgotten that i did that. It was edited by me after i took it on the chin and apologized for the mistake in line with that same original post. There isn't a "Reason for editing box"  like i'm used to seeing, so it's hard to track when people edit their posts.
Renegade
NeXus LAN Director

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2013, 10:47:07 PM »

Quite frankly I am inclined to try and do tournament games going forward that do not have lvl's or you can hack bump your lvl to max to avoid this kinda thing as we are a fun event not a competitive event and want all to be able to play if they want.    EG I dont want people losing because others have a higher toon, if they loose because of skill so be it.

Renegade
NeXus LAN Director
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx gfx