Ohio's Largest PC Gaming Community & LAN Party

gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

NeXus LAN 24 was fantastic!!!  We will miss seeing everyone, but hope to see some of you at other LAN's down the line.   Thank you everyone for years of support and fun!!!!

gfx gfx
gfx
11324 Posts in 2476 Topics by 414 Members - Latest Member: Hanlin March 28, 2024, 10:29:16 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
      « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: E-Cigs  (Read 22917 times)
Mutami
« on: November 01, 2013, 09:35:36 PM »

Just wanting to know if they have to be kept in smoking areas a head of time.  It is not a tobacco product but it is smoking. 
Renegade
NeXus LAN Director

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2013, 09:43:07 PM »

This came up last time and there was mis-information.   The ruling from the Governor of the Moose Lodge is no smoking of any kinda inside the building.    I confirmed this with them recently as well.   So no matter what is going on in the bar area, or anyone tell's you the ruling of the man in charge is all smoking outside.

Renegade
NeXus LAN Director
Mutami
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2013, 09:52:29 PM »

Thanks
Rhythmatic
N00b

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2013, 07:29:43 AM »

Really? Ugh. That really sucks. It's not smoke, it's water vapor (that doesn't affect computers, btw) I understand the position you're in, especially with a venue that you don't want to have any issues with (especially that of a Moose Lodge), but I recall going up to the bartender (I know, disregard what's going on in the bar area...) last time and asking him to which he whipped out his own e-cig and took a big puff while saying "go for it!" with a smile. It's not that big of a deal, plus the more people that go outside to smoke, the higher the chances of keeping the building cool what with all of that RAAAAWWWW PC POOOWWWEERRRR going on.

lol

Renegade
NeXus LAN Director

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2013, 12:00:25 PM »

Bartender is not the official rule maker the governor is and he has said no smoking of any kind inside.   sorry

Renegade
NeXus LAN Director
Rhythmatic
N00b

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2014, 04:31:04 AM »

Necro! Read this. Please. It doesn't change anything specifically for the venue, but hopefully it'll change your views. https://medium.com/@ianfirth/what-if-i-never-exhaled-fd62a177b988

Ronster
l33t

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2014, 02:01:16 AM »

now show us the long term effects of ecigs and the secondhand effects as well.
twodavez
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2014, 12:23:52 PM »

I was going to ask about the 2nd hand effects. There is no way that all the chemicals that make it smell, taste, and satisfy your nicotine craving are absorbed in your lungs prior to exhale, and i guess that's what the title of the article was alluding to.
I'm happy people can get their nicotine addiction going without the tar and all other bad effects from a traditional cigarette, but it's still a bad habit as far as i'm concerned. Just my opinion.

My question is, with the marijuana craze hitting the country, can they put THC into the vape liquid and allow everyone to get high, without having to have the actual drug in their possession? They put it in food and candy already... I just see this being the tip of the iceberg for delivery of chemicals to the body via vaporizing.
Ronster
l33t

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2014, 01:22:48 AM »

I'm just happy to know that there are people out there in the world that like to be testers for everyone else lol.
twodavez
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2014, 04:19:18 PM »

I'm just happy to know that there are people out there in the world that like to be testers for everyone else lol.

Problem is when they realize the chemicals in the vapor gives everyone a spreadable cancer or something and we all end up getting some-how or another...
Rhythmatic
N00b

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2014, 05:56:01 AM »

In regards to 2nd hand effects: http://clearstream.flavourart.it/site/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/CSA_ItaEng.pdf "No toluene, xylene, CO, NO x ,nicotine, acroleinor PAHs were detected on room air during the e-CIG session." and this was in a 16ft x 16ft room, around an 8 ft. ceiling. Also: http://acsh.org/2013/08/new-study-finds-no-health-concerns-in-e-cig-vapor/

By reviewing over 9,000 observations about the chemistry of the vapor and the liquid in e-cigarettes, Dr. Burstyn was able to determine that the levels of contaminants e-cigarette users are exposed to are insignificant, far below levels that would pose any health risk. Additionally, there is no health risk to bystanders. Proposals to ban e-cigarettes in places where smoking is banned have been based on concern there is a potential risk to bystanders, but the study shows there is no concern.

ACSH’s Dr. Gilbert Ross, a close follower of the e-cigarette literature and regulatory scene, commented as follows: “Prof. Burstyn’s comprehensive analysis should help put to rest the good-faith concerns of some in the anti-smoking community who continue to doubt the safety of e-cigarettes’ ‘second-hand vapor.’ Unfortunately, for the bulk of the harm-reduction haters, this will probably have little impact, since they are refractory to science-based discussion, fixated as they are on their various perverse agendas.”

The main concern is propylene glycol, which some folks can be potentially sensitive/allergic to.Propylene glycol is found in toothpastes, lotions, shampoos, hospitals as an air purification, foods, fog machines, etc. The other ingredient is vegetable glycerin. http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-vegetable-glycerin.htm I use high VG:PG blends (70:30, or Max VG) because I don't like the intended feeling (to replicate the feeling of smoking a cigarette)

Most ecig juice vendors are voluntarily adhering to regulations stricter than those proposed by the FDA, and have made it public knowledge of dangerous additives to not use. Popcorn/butter flavoring for example, like the kind you get a movie theater or in microwave popcorn, is FDA approved safe for consumption, but dangerous when vaporized, and can give you "lipid pneumonia", and is banned in the ecig markets even prior to the FDA testing it in that manner.

As for using them for cannabis, yes, it's possible but only as a tincture. Vaporizing an oil is extremely dangerous because of the lipid pneumonia. There are dry herb vaporizers on the market already. The smell is very strong from a tincture infused liquid, so it's not really that incognito. I do not use cannabis, so my knowledge of this is limited to what I've read over the years regarding all of that.

Honestly, I'm not as into ecigs as I was a year ago, simply because it's an expensive hobby. It's a fantastic way to quit smoking, which it helped me do, and isn't expensive compared to prescription pills, or patches/gums. It's a great hobby, just expensive once you hit a certain point, what with all of the various mods, batteries, atomizers, juices, etc. So yes, in respect to it being a bad habit, sure, it's expensive but it isn't inherently addicting (I can go for days without touching nicotine, it's like going without coffee or energy drinks). Plenty of things are bad habits though, and this has been a great thing for local small businesses and economy. People are getting together on their weekends to talk shop over their ecigs, making friends, having fun.

twodavez
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2014, 12:10:35 PM »

As for using them for cannabis, yes, it's possible but only as a tincture. Vaporizing an oil is extremely dangerous because of the lipid pneumonia. There are dry herb vaporizers on the market already. The smell is very strong from a tincture infused liquid, so it's not really that incognito. I do not use cannabis, so my knowledge of this is limited to what I've read over the years regarding all of that.

I'm not into it either, i just wondered as most people that i come in contact that smoke, have tried or enjoy cannabis as a drug of choice also. With all the legalization of it around the country, it just seems like a new way of delivery that's cool and hip.
Boon
NeXus LAN Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2014, 11:44:22 AM »

I'm not into it either, i just wondered as most people that i come in contact that smoke, have tried or enjoy cannabis as a drug of choice also. With all the legalization of it around the country, it just seems like a new way of delivery that's cool and hip.

Last I checked it wasn't legal anywhere in the country....just because some states choose not to enforce the federal law at their level doesnt make it legal... ie any federal agent can still get you for it.

"Call da Ambalamps!"

Www.twitch.tv/boonjob
gfx
Pages: [1] Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx gfx