Ohio's Largest PC Gaming Community & LAN Party

gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

NeXus LAN 24 was fantastic!!!  We will miss seeing everyone, but hope to see some of you at other LAN's down the line.   Thank you everyone for years of support and fun!!!!

gfx gfx
gfx
11324 Posts in 2476 Topics by 414 Members - Latest Member: Hanlin March 28, 2024, 12:54:00 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
      « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: LAN Internet  (Read 10932 times)
Boon
NeXus LAN Staff

View Profile WWW
« on: May 05, 2014, 06:09:40 PM »

I just wanted to give a shoutout to Sideout and those responsible for the Internet at the LAN.... I dont know what you did differently, but it was stomping for me.... typically I cant even join a playable arma 3 or chivalry server, much less play... this weekend though I joined numerous servers where I was pinging in at 40-50.... which is a huge improvement over my past LAN experiences...

So to those responsible please do give yourself a pat on your back!

"Call da Ambalamps!"

Www.twitch.tv/boonjob
Sideout
NeXus LAN Director

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2014, 06:29:27 PM »

Thank you for the compliment!!!  There was a major release for PFSense (www.pfsense.org) prior to the LAN that helped out and we did make some configuration changes as well.

The biggest of those changes was configuring a dynamic limiter for TCP streams for any LAN based connection.  Basically I defined a set amount of bandwidth , 35MBit from 11am till 2pm , then 22Mbit from  2pm till 2am , then back to 35Mbit till about 10am on Sunday then back to 22Mbit.

Anyone trying to download or use a TCP stream was put under this limiter and shared the bandwidth with anyone else.  So if only 7 people were trying to use TCP then it would give each of you 5Mbits for download. (35/7).  Each time it would re-balance based on # of clients using it. The other beauty of this is that since this was an interface rule , PFSense would process floating rules first , which is where I had the gaming rules defined out , before it processed the interface rules.  That and almost all gaming traffic is UDP except for a few , and we are able to use floating rules for them.

I also simplified some of the firewall rules and did some extensive testing on making sure I had the right ports for games nailed down.

The biggest satisfaction I get is in seeing everyone able to play their games and enjoy the network without a lot of issues.

Again thanks for the shoutout.  I appreciate it.
twodavez
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2014, 06:49:32 PM »

I've learned that if you don't report an issue (whatever it may be) the admins can't do anything to fix it. Not only did they fix any issue that came up, they checked back with me multiple times to ensure it stayed fixed!

Thanks for the follow-through. It was much appreciated!
gfx
Pages: [1] Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx gfx