Ohio's Largest PC Gaming Community & LAN Party

gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

NeXus LAN 24 was fantastic!!!  We will miss seeing everyone, but hope to see some of you at other LAN's down the line.   Thank you everyone for years of support and fun!!!!

gfx gfx
gfx
11324 Posts in 2476 Topics by 414 Members - Latest Member: Hanlin March 28, 2024, 11:50:05 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
      « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: What kinda tournaments do you like at events?  (Read 57658 times)
Renegade
NeXus LAN Director

View Profile
« on: May 01, 2008, 01:19:57 PM »

Hey all,

What kinda tournaments do you like / dislike.   Give us ideas what you have played in before that was unsual but fun etc.

Things like.

Deathmatch or team based.

Random or bring your own teams.

RTS's?

Game types prefered.

Do you like to do non PC/Console things for a change up during the events.

Just give us your thoughts so we can work on making this a good fun event for all attending.

Renegade
NeXus LAN Director
Crow47
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2008, 01:46:53 PM »

I think team based FPS tournaments would be fun. I think UT3 and COD4 would be safe bets.

For an RTS tournament Supreme Commander would be awesome.
Cyphis
NeXus LAN Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2008, 03:33:57 PM »

How many people are still playing Supreme Commander.  I know I set the game down for quite some time and was turned off a little at first, but I reinstalled it and am willing to give it another try.  I will probably get smoked though.

Just consider me cannon fodder for the troops.

Cyphis

~ If I find in myself desires which nothing in this world can satisfy, the only logical explanation is that I was made for another world.      - C.S. Lewis ~
Crow47
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2008, 03:42:57 PM »

Does anyone have the expansion, Forged Alliance? You actually don't need Supcom to play, it's a standalone expansion. I personally find it to be much better.
Cyphis
NeXus LAN Staff

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2008, 03:45:06 PM »

I have not tried that yet.  May see how it plays if anyone is paying at the first LAN we are having in the upcoming June event.  Even if not a tournament, it would be fun to get a group of people playing it.

Cyphis

~ If I find in myself desires which nothing in this world can satisfy, the only logical explanation is that I was made for another world.      - C.S. Lewis ~
Action
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2008, 05:37:15 PM »

Yeah I reinstalled Supreme Commander again, but have not started it yet.  It ran like a dog on my desktop but might run much better on my notebook.

[TC] Action
Website Administrator - NeXus LAN
XBox Live: ActionRZ
Crow47
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2008, 10:15:32 PM »

I think it would be a blast to have like a 3v3 or something.

However, I suggest that you all try to play it, it has a very steep learning curve.
JeLLITYMe
Sniper

SF guru

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2008, 04:25:24 AM »

A Good Idea for SMBB would be Team (2v2) matches.

If you are not doing something to its maximum, why do it?
XBL: JeLLITYMe
Same tag for Steam, Origin, psn etc.
Uptime podcast host:uptime.podomatic.com
Cyphis
NeXus LAN Staff

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2008, 03:27:09 PM »

Yeah, one on one might not be the most fun either.  Those games are often more fun with a partner.

Cyphis

Renegade
NeXus LAN Director

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2008, 03:46:39 PM »

I was thinking 2v2 or 4 player free for all type matches.

Renegade
NeXus LAN Director
JeLLITYMe
Sniper

SF guru

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2008, 03:27:42 AM »

Yeah, one on one might not be the most fun either.  Those games are often more fun with a partner.

It depends on who will be in the event. most people who are interested in a tournament will want tourney rules, which are as follows

1v1:

4:00 time and 3 stock
Stage set on Final Dest. or Battlefield
NO items (including Smash Ball)

2v2:
6:00 Time and 3 Stock each
Stage pickable as long as both teams agree, if not, then Final Dest. or Battlefield
No Items (including Smash Ball)

Iwas thinking of after the tournament doing 2v2 with random teams (it was a blast last time we played it at a prev. lan).

NOTE: Tournament mode provided in game does not work for team battle, we would have to write them down ourselves.

JeLLITYMe
Sniper

SF guru

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2008, 03:58:02 AM »

I like the idea of the fighting games being considered though. With a ton of new ones coming out the woodwork (King Of Fighters 12, Tekken 6, Street Fighter 4!!!!) and classics that still have a tight following (marvel Vs. Capcom 2, Street Fighter 3: Third Strike, etc.) I have no doubt you get great numbers. (last big place i went too had 100+ JUST for the fighting games, not counting the other stuff that was there!) There is a good underground coummunity of fighting game afficionados like myself in Dayton and we all would love to find a home for our group to thrive.

Cyphis
NeXus LAN Staff

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2008, 01:17:03 PM »

We certainly welcome the gamers of that genre.  It would be kind of cool to have a tourney with the fighting games in them.  But I would get crushed.  I really was only good at them up until the Tekken 3 days back in college when we had the roommates and friends over and everyone got pissed off at me for being the brazilian martial arts guy that did all sorts of floor sweeping and funky moves.  I was good back then.  But now, I am only half way decent at FPS's.

Oh well.  Maybe I will have to get my button mashing fingers oiled up.  Bring it!!!   Shocked

Cyphis

JeLLITYMe
Sniper

SF guru

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2008, 03:21:23 AM »

Playing With the guys I play will will have you playing like a pro within the year definitely (these players destroy Eddy button mashers).

Delta
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2008, 02:21:50 AM »

Hey im new to the forums here, but you will prolly see me at the June lan, good friends with jpwinkis here.

But my suggestion would be to have 5v5 teams (random) for CoD4 for a FPS Tourny, and a 1v1 Company of Heroes Tourny for RTS. This is for the PC.

Console, for me at least, id be lookin at the xb360, lookin at the games like CoD4, Rainbow Six Vegas 2, and others for their FPS tournys. Both have fantastic MP.

if Team matches, they need to be random IMO to keep things on an even playing field.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx gfx