Ohio's Largest PC Gaming Community & LAN Party

gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

NeXus LAN 24 was fantastic!!!  We will miss seeing everyone, but hope to see some of you at other LAN's down the line.   Thank you everyone for years of support and fun!!!!

gfx gfx
gfx
11324 Posts in 2476 Topics by 414 Members - Latest Member: Hanlin March 28, 2024, 03:03:04 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
      « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Random Teams...  (Read 21998 times)
Plague
Sniper

View Profile WWW
« on: April 10, 2016, 03:16:47 PM »

what is the point of skill level when registering for tournament if you don't do random but balanced? And the excuse it is doesn't work doesn't fly. it does help. Coming from someone that does it for another LAN.

Also ARAM should have been best 2 of 3.
Renegade
NeXus LAN Director

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2016, 03:42:37 PM »

I will look into that the tournament admins are supposed to look at that. 

I can not say for sure on Ogre as he is new to running tournaments, I will check with Cyphis about that as well.

Thank you for bringing a possible issue up so we can make sure to correct going forward.

I had asked a group that plays aram if anything I should change other then just aram is format and 2/3 was not mentioned.   That would be an issue on my part as I did know that and just went with the normal 1 round for LoL.

Again thank you I will look into it.

Renegade
NeXus LAN Director
Boon
NeXus LAN Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2016, 03:57:47 PM »

what is the point of skill level when registering for tournament if you don't do random but balanced? And the excuse it is doesn't work doesn't fly. it does help. Coming from someone that does it for another LAN.

Also ARAM should have been best 2 of 3.

TBH, Its kinda pointless in the end right? I mean we have very competent players listing themselves as beginners/low skill... Seen it more then once and have seen stacked teams at both LANs... If its random... just leave it at full random, Then its just how the cookie crumbles.

"Call da Ambalamps!"

Www.twitch.tv/boonjob
Cyphis
NeXus LAN Staff

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2016, 04:06:52 PM »

Sorry if you feel the teams were not even. I has/is never intentional to do this.  It is trying to get people walking in at the last minute checked in and getting people that haven't shown up that are signed up taken out and trying to get teams set up and get the tournament firing on time.  Not to mention   getting brackets set, which I admit, I am not good at.  But we try to make it fun for everyone, so if it wasn't for some, I do apologize.

Cyphis

~ If I find in myself desires which nothing in this world can satisfy, the only logical explanation is that I was made for another world.      - C.S. Lewis ~
Arthropod
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2016, 04:21:39 PM »

Another big issue was ARAM in general. ARAM makes for horribly stacked teams regardless of skill, far too often youll have a team stacked with mages/pokers against a gank/melee comp. even with bad players the poke comp will win almost every time.
Renegade
NeXus LAN Director

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2016, 04:54:43 PM »

We will be looking at changing the registration to add in game skill ranking for games with that in the game an or a complete ranking removal and go 100% random.   The rate yourself part is very subjective, as some people have a high rank in a game but  lose alot as the rank is more play time then skill and like themselves as average but when playing against lessor players those average people look like pro veterans.

I do know that on Rocket League the rate your self didn't get used.   This is because of adding new staff since we didn't have sideout and moved Evildoer to networks this event.  This is MY fault and ONLY my fault as I forgot to go over and watch those teams being made.   

As for LoL Aram was picked by me, I don't play LoL and asked a group that comes here for any advice they liked the change to aram for 1 event but we never talked about 2/3 and that never event crossed my mind.  So again that is MY fault not my staffs fault. 

So please blame me.  If you like please come see me, PM me, email me renegade@nexuslan.org with any complaints.   

We really do try hard to make it a fun time etc but we/I are human and do make mistakes.

Renegade
NeXus LAN Director
Action
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2016, 05:46:34 PM »

I'll program in "your in-game level" for the tournament registrations.  This will be addition to the basic skill level question.  But again, this only works when the person is honest.  I will put in a strict line after the question that you agree you are answering honestly.  But this is not science and there is the possibility that a team may seem stacked.  Our tournament staff can only do their best to make it as even as possible. And from all the lans I have ever been to we have been fairly good at having nice even for the most part tournaments.  Its just never going to be 100% perfect at least to the opinion of everyone.  

Now with all that said, sorry, but I thought it was pretty unsportsmanlike to drop out of a game just cause your losing.  That was rude to your other team mates who may still just want to play it out.

[TC] Action
Website Administrator - NeXus LAN
XBox Live: ActionRZ
Rhythmatic
N00b

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2016, 11:55:26 PM »

I'll chime in and say that a lot of us are hoping for a BYOT option in the future for actual competition. I get it, you want the most people to partake in a tournament, but a lot of people are turned off by the idea of random teams and I had a friend specifically not participate because of that. He's super competitive and is far more interested in playing against other people who've invested as much time as he has into the game, instead of being matched up with folks that have installed the game that day or week and hardly know what they're doing (especially in MOBAs).

That said, very few high-skill players are honest about their skill level when they register, and some people might even miss the option of choosing and just register without changing the default. I'd say true random without skill-weight would be the best option here if that's the route you go.

Rage-quitting is never cool, just ride it out! https://youtu.be/EV2ojmVY3Vk

code
Sniper

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2016, 12:13:25 AM »

Yeah, I agree with what most of you guys have already posted. No need for the "skill based" option. Go completely random and if teams are stacked; o well.

Use something like this: http://chir.ag/projects/team-maker/

cheatch
Camper

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2016, 01:31:14 AM »

Teams should be random, otherwise it will just punish honest people and reward the not so honest.  These tournaments are supposed to be just for fun anyways.
evildoer
Sniper

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2016, 06:07:10 AM »

Teams should be random, otherwise it will just punish honest people and reward the not so honest.  These tournaments are supposed to be just for fun anyways.

That's exactly it

The key thing is, we're not professionals and people make mistakes or overlook things.  We're just a group of friends that hang out and game several weekends a month.  Generally all decisions regarding the LAN are in that spirit.  We just want to hang out with our friends and have fun.  That being said, we take tournaments very seriously and are already taking corrective actions.  That being said, there will always be teams that are better than other teams.  Everyone has the right to play in a tourney at our event and it's something we encourage no matter the skill level, we're not elitists and we don't want to be those guys.  On the other hand, we do allow our sponsors to sign up to sponsor specific tournaments which allows for some pretty decent prizes for tourneys, and we want things to be as fair as they can be.  Even with the option for slightly better skill sorting, there will still be a random element to it. 

Beyond that, most of the issues stem from myself having to shift to a different demanding role.  I had been pretty anal about tournaments and like to think they had been progressively getting better, however, we lost our network admin for this LAN (sideout) and we needed someone for that role.  Four or five years ago when we were at 80 or so people, our configs were pretty basic.  Now that we're basically at 170 and growing, it's a completely different world and setup as a high performance enterprise LAN minus an army of managed switches.  I have some enterprise networking experience, but it was still a trial by fire.  I had spent an entire mini-lan (11am-1am) two weeks before the LAN figuring things out, and the day before the LAN (7 hours) at Renegades store figuring things out.  No amount of preparation will get you ready to manage the number of hosts and data we had pushing through the network of someone else's design.  It's sideouts baby, I was just the babysitter.  I had to call mom a few times, or at least FB chat with mom.

That said I figured it out, and outside of one really dumb configuration issue we had with CS:GO (we've ran the same config for years, but for some reason only had an issue during this LAN), I generally figured out a system to monitor metrics and deny network access to those that feel P2P file sharing with the web is acceptable at a LAN.  The first round of HoTs for example, we had one guy pushing 20-40k packets per second and eating a significant portion of bandwidth.  We do have limiters enabled, but it was likely the sheer number of packets that were causing an issue.
code
Sniper

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2016, 12:13:38 PM »

"The first round of HoTs for example, we had one guy pushing 20-40k packets per second and eating a significant portion of bandwidth."

I swear this wasn't me.   Cool Cool Cool
Renegade
NeXus LAN Director

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2016, 02:25:49 PM »

During hots no it was not you code.

Renegade
NeXus LAN Director
Renegade
NeXus LAN Director

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2016, 06:33:54 PM »