Ohio's Largest PC Gaming Community & LAN Party

gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

NeXus LAN 24 was fantastic!!!  We will miss seeing everyone, but hope to see some of you at other LAN's down the line.   Thank you everyone for years of support and fun!!!!

gfx gfx
gfx
11324 Posts in 2476 Topics by 414 Members - Latest Member: Hanlin April 23, 2024, 04:25:59 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
      « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: NeXus LAN VI Tournament Discussion  (Read 32604 times)
Action
Administrator

View Profile
« on: August 26, 2009, 08:39:06 PM »

It's time to start discussing the tournament options for the October 10th LAN.

We will probably try something a bit different and do COD4 Freeze Tag as the main PC Tournment.  I know many people are enjoying that mod.  And I was thinking an official Left 4 Dead as the second PC tourney., but use this thread for everyone to discuss the tourneys they would be interested in.

Also, since it was so well received, there will be another Rock Band Tournament and it will even be better than last time!  We have quite a bit planned for it.

[TC] Action
Website Administrator - NeXus LAN
XBox Live: ActionRZ
Plague
Sniper

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2009, 02:19:27 PM »

L4D YAY! Grin
Cyphis
NeXus LAN Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2009, 04:52:34 PM »

I haven't played a lot of Left 4 Dead.  How will that tournament work?  Or, at least, what are your first thoughts on it.

Cyphis

~ If I find in myself desires which nothing in this world can satisfy, the only logical explanation is that I was made for another world.      - C.S. Lewis ~
Infamousd
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2009, 06:14:14 PM »

Doing left for dead can be easy if you want it to be. but it depends on the mode you choose. I'd recommend putting it up for vote.

1. Survival mode - teams play a certain map to see how long they can survive , the team with the longest time wins. ( this was the method of last parties unofficial tourney, but we were limited to one map due to time constraints)

2. Versus mode- each team takes turns on each side on a map and the team with most points advances.

3. Timed map mode- pick a map and the team that travels thru it the fastest wins.

Just some thoughts there.
Cra2hgirl
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2009, 06:32:03 PM »

Doing left for dead can be easy if you want it to be. but it depends on the mode you choose. I'd recommend putting it up for vote.

1. Survival mode - teams play a certain map to see how long they can survive , the team with the longest time wins. ( this was the method of last parties unofficial tourney, but we were limited to one map due to time constraints)

I had fun with this mode at the last LAN and I think it would be easy for those of us that haven't played it much.   But, I agree, we can put it to a vote and see what everyone wants.
js09
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2009, 09:05:31 PM »

a bunch of my friends (and me) want to go if there is a cs:s tourney.. most lans have that as the main event
Action
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2009, 09:06:01 PM »

Yeah I am leaning towards Survivor mode as it seems to be the easiest to manage especially without taking too much time.

[TC] Action
Action
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2009, 09:18:49 PM »

a bunch of my friends (and me) want to go if there is a cs:s tourney.. most lans have that as the main event

CS is too old of a game to attract sponsorships which is probably one reason why lans that still host CS tourneys charge entry fees which is something we will not do.   But  come and enjoy all the tournaments... we are a 100% completely fun LAN and not just based on tournaments.  Also you are more than welcome to host an unofficial CS tourney as long as it is not run at the same time as one of our sponsored pc tourneys.

As always all team based tournaments will have teams picked randomly by skill level.  This has made it so everyone has a fun and a fair and equal chance of winning.  It has worked out great at every one of our LANS.

[TC] Action
js09
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2009, 09:28:03 PM »

CS is too old of a game to attract sponsorships which is probably one reason why lans that still host CS tourneys charge entry fees which is something we will not do.   But  come and enjoy all the tournaments... we are a 100% completely fun LAN and not just based on tournaments.  Also you are more than welcome to host an unofficial CS tourney as long as it is not run at the same time as one of our sponsored pc tourneys.

As always all team based tournaments will have teams picked randomly by skill level.  This has made it so everyone has a fun and a fair and equal chance of winning.  It has worked out great at every one of our LANS.

oh i agree but i was talking about cs:s, not cs.

and typically lans get sponsored solely because cs:s IS the main tournament, since it's the most widely played game in the US, so it will naturally attract the most lan attendees ;-)
Action
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2009, 09:37:32 PM »

and typically lans get sponsored solely because cs:s IS the main tournament, since it's the most widely played game in the US, so it will naturally attract the most lan attendees ;-)

Actually sponsors want to sponsor other tournaments especially tournaments that require more modern PCs, which is one of the reasons we chose to not offer offical CS including CS:S tournaments.  We can not run without sponsorship.  The COD series of PC games is more common now.  Too bad COD4 MW2 will not be out by the time of our next LAN.

[TC] Action
330T
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2009, 05:49:30 PM »

2. Versus mode- each team takes turns on each side on a map and the team with most points advances.

3. Timed map mode- pick a map and the team that travels thru it the fastest wins.

Just some thoughts there.

I like the Timed mode, but i think it should be Time, then score Kills, and deduct for FF and deaths....
z0id
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2009, 07:37:15 PM »

Rather L4D be survival.. the game is completely easy to understand in my opinion, any noob (no offense to anyone) can pick the game up be told 3 things and own it.
Infamousd
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2009, 01:56:59 PM »

Rather L4D be survival.. the game is completely easy to understand in my opinion, any noob (no offense to anyone) can pick the game up be told 3 things and own it.

yes this is true on easy difficulty levels, which does make the game appealing to most.

We might have a separate challenge for those diehards though to see who can muster the best team to get thru certain maps at certain difficulties and compare times.

Now if only I could come up with a decent prize for that bit of competition...
Plague
Sniper

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2009, 03:35:40 PM »

survival mode FTW! I think I will put my L4D server back together, I know last time that was the problem we only at one server.
Action
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2009, 05:56:48 PM »

I'll also have the game on our NeXus game servers as well.  I might have some questions for you guys though when configuring it in a couple of weeks.  I really want to be able to log times, so there is no question on the winning team.

[TC] Action
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx gfx