Ohio's Largest PC Gaming Community & LAN Party

gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

NeXus LAN 24 was fantastic!!!  We will miss seeing everyone, but hope to see some of you at other LAN's down the line.   Thank you everyone for years of support and fun!!!!

gfx gfx
gfx
11324 Posts in 2476 Topics by 414 Members - Latest Member: Hanlin May 11, 2024, 11:18:43 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
      « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Tabletop RPG Campaign?  (Read 25105 times)
Lincoln7
Sniper

What's your favorite planet?? Mine's the sun...

View Profile
« on: April 21, 2011, 12:28:09 AM »

I know it's a little old school, but would anyone be interested in playing a tabletop rpg campaign?  Instead of using an existing copy-written rule set (D&D, AD&D, etc.) we could use a loose rules lite system that's more flexible, or even one I have been developing myself.

Lincoln7
Action
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2011, 12:41:42 AM »

I would not mind some old school.

[TC] Action
Website Administrator - NeXus LAN
XBox Live: ActionRZ
Rock8104
l33t

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2011, 08:23:27 PM »

I play D&D once a week. Id like to start another game but I am not big on the made up rules. From my experience it turns into a power gaming session. Let me know if you start one I would be willing to try it out.
Lincoln7
Sniper

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2011, 11:10:55 PM »

I would not mind some old school.
Cool. I just figured it would be fun to try. I'm not into anything real in-depth or dark.

I play D&D once a week. Id like to start another game but I am not big on the made up rules. From my experience it turns into a power gaming session. Let me know if you start one I would be willing to try it out.
Good point. This wouldn't necessarily be something new from the ground up, but would borrow from d&d (such as npc's, i.e. monsters, creatures, etc.) and other rpg's, but with adjustments to be a little more flexible and more fluid, especially when it comes to combat. I don't know about anyone else, but I recall old d&d combat situations being some of the most encumbering and boring aspects of the game, and combat is supposed to be the most exciting aspect of the game. The purpose of the adjustments would be to simply give the game and the players a more "realistic" feel (ironic, since it's a role-playing game) and seem more plausible. I also think that if the host/referee of the game works together with the players to produce a cooperative environment, it should also be ok to make changes on the fly as long as everyone is on the same page. Those are just a few thoughts and ideas about what I envisioned. Let me know what you think.
=[TN]= Venus_Wong
NeXus LAN Staff

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2011, 07:32:15 PM »

I took could be interested. I've still have figurines I painted back in the day and a few sets of dice.

=[TN]= Venus_Wong
Lincoln7
Sniper

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2011, 07:58:27 PM »

Awesome. So far it sounds like there are three other interested parties besides myself.

I'm still waiting for Tiny Elvis and Renegade to express their interest. :-)

If we don't have any more, we could possibly do 2 characters per player, giving us a part of six.
Cyphis
NeXus LAN Staff

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2011, 08:21:28 PM »

I have my big "Bag 'o Dice" still.  I would be interested, but I am confused.  If you ahve no real set of rules you are going by, how exactly do you play?  Roll a D20 to hit, get a 13....and hey, that looks like a good number....so you hit?

Now I am no rules lawyer, but you still need a basis guideline of rules to go by.  My heavy PnP Roleplaying days were back in AD&D 2nd Edition and everything was nice.  Then 3rd Ed. came out and topsy turvy'd everything and then more rules and more rules and more books and more books and the game got rediculous.

I have a box somewhere with all my old RPG books, I can dig them out and see what is what, but overall, I would be interested in having some good old fashioned PnP Roleplaying fun.   Smiley

Cyphis

~ If I find in myself desires which nothing in this world can satisfy, the only logical explanation is that I was made for another world.      - C.S. Lewis ~
Lincoln7
Sniper

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2011, 10:43:09 PM »

Cyphis, you expressed some valid concerns. My goal would be to use the GURPS lite rules as a base foundation but sharing some rules with older d&d versions (I only played the original basic, and advanced d&d versions and never had an opportunity to play the newer editions). Although they were intended to include plausible assumptions on what exactly happens during a battle, I found that combat systems tended to be too en-cumbersome and lost much of their "fun" in rolling and looking up numbers on a chart for almost every movement or decision or attack.  On top of this, players were still very limited in what they could or couldn't do in combat.  What if two of the players distracted the opponent and rushed him with their shields and screaming war cries while a third player quietly snuck around behind them to attack from behind? How in the world would you roll for initiative for that?? By the same token the dice rolls dictate the direction and flow of the game, just like a board game; because of those kinds of nuances, I think adding some flexibility to an existing rule set and combining elements from other rule systems could serve to create a more enjoyable playing experience that "feels" more realistic.  Unfortunately, I don't have enough room here to explain all of the similarities or differences, but I'll do my best to answer everyone's questions.  As long as we're all on the same page and we agree on any changes, we can still play an organized game and have fun, too.

Shoot me any more questions that you have.
Cyphis
NeXus LAN Staff

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2011, 10:59:41 PM »

Oh, and I don't really care to see those new races that D&D started using like Half-Dragons and pc Ogres.  I mean really...what city guard is going to let an Ogre run around in Waterdeep or something?

Cyphis

~ If I find in myself desires which nothing in this world can satisfy, the only logical explanation is that I was made for another world.      - C.S. Lewis ~
Cyphis
NeXus LAN Staff

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2011, 11:01:10 PM »

Of course depending on the world you play in of course.  I mean, if we were playing something like Shadowrun, of course we are going to see pc Trolls and the like.  I'm just sayin'.....don't go overboard...hehe.

Cyphis

Lincoln7
Sniper

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2011, 11:05:42 PM »

I have my big "Bag 'o Dice" still...I have a box somewhere with all my old RPG books, I can dig them out and see what is what, but overall, I would be interested in having some good old fashioned PnP Roleplaying fun.   Smiley

If you still have all your old books and dice, would you mind if I borrowed them?  That would give me a chance to see some of the changes that have occurred and see what could be incorporated into the game together with the GURPS rules to come up with something manageable and playable.
Lincoln7
Sniper

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2011, 11:11:55 PM »

Oh, and I don't really care to see those new races that D&D started using like Half-Dragons and pc Ogres.  I mean really...what city guard is going to let an Ogre run around in Waterdeep or something?

No player character trolls, ogres or dragons...that seems kind of silly, but that's just me.  I was thinking along the lines of the traditional races (human, elf, dwarf, halfling, etc.) and classes, but with some flexibility added to allow for player creativity.
=[TN]= Venus_Wong
NeXus LAN Staff

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2011, 09:28:14 PM »

@Lincoln7

I too have some old books. I forget which version AD&D rules. DM guide, monster manuals et al. Also, have many modules where you could get ideas for crafting adventures.

=[TN]= Venus_Wong
Lincoln7
Sniper

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2011, 04:05:25 AM »

I too have some old books. I forget which version AD&D rules. DM guide, monster manuals et al. Also, have many modules where you could get ideas for crafting adventures.

Cool, let me know if it would be ok to borrow them from you. Thanks, Venus.

Lincoln7
TinyElvis
l33t

Thank you very much!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2011, 09:02:40 PM »

I am going to pass on this. I plan on playing electronic games during the Lan Party. Enjoy though, and keep it down.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx gfx