Ohio's Largest PC Gaming Community & LAN Party

gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

NeXus LAN 24 was fantastic!!!  We will miss seeing everyone, but hope to see some of you at other LAN's down the line.   Thank you everyone for years of support and fun!!!!

gfx gfx
gfx
11324 Posts in 2476 Topics by 414 Members - Latest Member: Hanlin May 11, 2024, 01:54:42 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
      « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Tabletop RPG Campaign?  (Read 25106 times)
Renegade
NeXus LAN Director

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2011, 09:39:37 PM »

James,  they are not playing RPG's at the LAN, they would be doing it at a different time/day.

Renegade
NeXus LAN Director
Lincoln7
Sniper

What's your favorite planet?? Mine's the sun...

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2011, 12:26:20 AM »

I am going to pass on this. I plan on playing electronic games during the Lan Party. Enjoy though, and keep it down.
You're going to miss out.
James,  they are not playing RPG's at the LAN, they would be doing it at a different time/day.
Thanks for explaining that to him, Dave. :-)

LAN games are for the LAN's. However, if this gets enough interest and gets up and running, would you guys like to join us?
TinyElvis
l33t

Thank you very much!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2011, 12:27:59 PM »

Would I consider going to a RPG? Nope. Thanks though. Considering I haven't played that for over 20yrs, I doubt I would entertain a notion to do this. Not my cup of tea. I just find that realistically, unless you have a DM that puts a whole lot of time to develop a full tiered dungeon, it's a farce. Ends up becoming a make up as you go game, that loses it fun-ness within the first 20mins.
Lincoln7
Sniper

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2011, 07:39:01 PM »

Would I consider going to a RPG? Nope. Thanks though. Considering I haven't played that for over 20yrs, I doubt I would entertain a notion to do this. Not my cup of tea. I just find that realistically, unless you have a DM that puts a whole lot of time to develop a full tiered dungeon, it's a farce. Ends up becoming a make up as you go game, that loses it fun-ness within the first 20mins.
Awww, why not? :-) Not even if your little brother was hosting? :-) What qualities would entice you to play a tabletop rpg campaign? Would you be willing to at least give it a try? You never know, you might even have a good time. It sounds like you are assuming that your younger brother doesn't have the "skills" required to not only create a game worthy of playing, but also host it in a way that's fun for everyone involved...ok, so if I create a "full-tiered dungeon" that's not "make up as you go along" quality, would you be willing to give it a try? :-)

I have actually been working on an entire campaign for several weeks, now, essentially from the ground up; the adventure begins on an island, just off the coast of a mainland continent. There are some familiar things from old d&d adventures, and a few new encounters that I borrowed from folklore.  I am being very thorough so there will be no "flimsy" feeling to the campaign. You sure you won't change your mind, big brother? :-) C'mon, it will be like when we were kids! :-)
Lincoln7
Sniper

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2011, 07:20:22 PM »

Whoever is interested in giving this a try, I can post some brief bullet points of the storyline if you like?

As far as character creation, I figured we could either do the traditional rolling of 3d6 for attributes, or do the point system where you are given a set of points that you divey up to each attribute as you wish, or a combination of the two where you have a median score between 9 and 12 (usually 10) that would be the average score for that attribute representing normal human beings.
Lincoln7
Sniper

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2011, 11:32:46 PM »

Just a heads up that I downloaded a copy of the d&d 4th Edition Quick Start Rules, so between that and the GURPS Lite rules, we have a base rule foundation to work with.

I hope it's still ok to keep posting here. :-)
Action
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2011, 02:31:25 AM »

Just a heads up that I downloaded a copy of the d&d 4th Edition Quick Start Rules, so between that and the GURPS Lite rules, we have a base rule foundation to work with.

I hope it's still ok to keep posting here. :-)
Absolutely.  When is this planned?

[TC] Action
Website Administrator - NeXus LAN
XBox Live: ActionRZ
Lincoln7
Sniper

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2011, 02:48:06 PM »

Absolutely.  When is this planned?
[/quote]

I hope to have everything ready by the end of this month. So, hopefully in June, if everyone is still interested, we can start then.
=[TN]= Venus_Wong
NeXus LAN Staff

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2011, 09:55:42 PM »

I got my D&D stuff out of storage and gave it looksee. Ah, memories. Some of the figurines had bent weapons but over all have held up well after umptine moves over the past 25 years.

=[TN]= Venus_Wong
Lincoln7
Sniper

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2011, 04:52:52 PM »

I got my D&D stuff out of storage and gave it looksee. Ah, memories. Some of the figurines had bent weapons but over all have held up well after umptine moves over the past 25 years.

LOL. Are they the little pewter ones?
=[TN]= Venus_Wong
NeXus LAN Staff

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2011, 01:56:59 PM »

Yes they are. Most are not painted but of the few that are, I'm impressed with my handiwork back in the day  Grin

=[TN]= Venus_Wong
Lincoln7
Sniper

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2011, 02:51:11 PM »

Yes they are. Most are not painted but of the few that are, I'm impressed with my handiwork back in the day  Grin
Cool. maybe we can use them for the campaign.  Grin
Lincoln7
Sniper

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2011, 01:35:07 AM »

If anyone is still interested, the upcoming rpg campaign I'm working on will take place almost entirely on an island that's about the size of Connecticut (around 5000 sq miles or so), off the coast from a large mainland. I've actually started to design an entire world (globe, continents, oceans, origins, history, etc.) but the focus of the campaign will be specifically on what happens on this island. The island is populated, has 3 major cities along with smaller villages/towns, large forest regions, a medium-sized mountain range in the middle of the island, and even small desert areas in some parts. I took the time to make sure that geographic aspects of the island were physically feasible and based on geographic/topographic land principles, and not just randomly placed haphazardly wherever it seemed like they should go (oh, gee, it looks like a mountain should go over here). I just figured that it was important that the landscape where the story took place was as believable as possible, and geography helps to tell the story of an adventure.

Anyway, I think I am off to a good start so far, and I should have everything ready by the end of this month; so far, the primary races that characters will be able to play are Humans, Elves, Dwarves, Halflings (referred to as Hillfolk), and their various sub-races and half-breeds. I am inclined to not include the half-orc race and other traditionally non-player monster types of races because of the logic behind the existence of those kinds of mixed races as playable characters is extremely twisted (I can talk about this later if anyone wants to know why); so, for now, no dice on the evil dudes :-). As far as classes are concerned, the more I thought about this aspect, the more I realized how defunct the logic was behind D&D's and other fantasy RPG's view in this area. Example: if you are a fighter class, let's say, or a warrior...is that who you are, or is it what you do? There's a difference. You may be a warrior because that's the best way that you know how to put food on the table for you and your loved ones, if you're a professional soldier or a fighter employed by a lord or captain, or even a mercenary-for-hire. You might have been born as a farmer and grew up loving farming, but became a warrior through necessity. So, fighting is not who you are but what you do. If you had your druthers, you'd prefer to settle down on a farm and grow corn, but you aren't able to do that right now, so you learned how to use a sword and shield instead. But then there's the other guy who was taught how to fight with different weapons the moment he was old enough to stand on his own two legs, and comes from a long line of men who were trained the same way - it's in his blood...it's what he loves to do...so does that make him a warrior? Probably more-so than the other guy, but both of them take up the sword as a means of survival or making a living. So this led to my open-ended question about classes...do we need them? Should there be only specific kinds of "classes" or are they really considered professions? Or, can you DO one thing and really BE another thing? Could you have a class AND a profession? I'm open to suggestions, but so far, I think classes are a little unrealistic; so for now I am opening up the character class field to anything and everything you guys think a person could train themselves to do or be. We could even call it a profession instead to make it more reasonable and feasible, to still leave it open for you to have some other defining aspect of your character that makes them who they really are and not just simply what they do.

More to come...
Ronster
l33t

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2011, 05:59:56 AM »

you guys sound like a bunch of dweebs, i would have no part in this so dont even ask and if this takes over the lan id be so disappointed id have to shoot myself in the head, no wait id shoot all you fools in the head so we could go on playing video games and real life shit.
Renegade
NeXus LAN Director

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2011, 03:19:03 PM »

Ron,

As said a couple of times in this thread they are going to do table top RPG's at a different day/time from the LAN's.  So you have no worries.    As for calling dweebs, I am sure alot think the same thing of people that go an play computer games on a LAN ehehe.    Playing RPG's etc has been around alot longer then computer games.

Renegade
NeXus LAN Director
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx gfx