Ohio's Largest PC Gaming Community & LAN Party

gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

NeXus LAN 24 was fantastic!!!  We will miss seeing everyone, but hope to see some of you at other LAN's down the line.   Thank you everyone for years of support and fun!!!!

gfx gfx
gfx
11324 Posts in 2476 Topics by 414 Members - Latest Member: Hanlin April 27, 2024, 04:17:16 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
      « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Silverstone Sugo Cube - Ice Phoenix  (Read 11820 times)
Plague
Sniper

View Profile WWW
« on: February 14, 2012, 12:43:25 PM »

When I attended NeXus LAN in November, I won the case mod contest and received a Silverstone Sugo SG02-F... And was told that they wanted to see me mod it and bring it to the LAN. I got home and stated thinking. I knew I wasn't going to be buy a whole new computer to put in it.

So I had most of the follow just around that house.

CPU: Intel Core2 E4300 1.8GHz
RAM: 2 Gb GSkill DDR2 800
Hard Drives: 80Gb Intel SSD & Samsung 500Gb 7200RPM HD
Video: ATI Radeon HD 4870
PSU: Mushkin 500W

And I had most of watercooling setup still sitting around.

Starting to figure out what I would need to buy for this building.

I knew I need a motherboard that would fit in the case (which I didn't have). I found a motherboard that would fit and still use the processor and memory I already had. Which was Foxconn LGA775 672M01-1.1-8KSH DDR2 Sata.
Starting trying to put everything together and found a problem with the waterblock I have had since I started watercooling. The acrylic top was cracking on the bottom side of it (picture below), with 2 of 3 of the crack going all the way to the side. So I needed a new waterblock.

got the board temp mounted, and went to looking at wire management while I was waiting on the waterblock replacement.

I had a friend ask to use a computer for our New Year LAN Party, so I rushed and got it together an running, it wasn't clean inside and the power supply needs worked on. So just turned it on and took these pictures. I know I got other somewhere so I will post them once I find them.

The video card side before turning on the blue lighting.

Blue lights on!

Room lights off now too!

CPU side (Room lights on)

CPU side (Room lights off)

Top (Room lights on)

Top (Room lights off)

I have started working on moding the cover, so I pick of this stuff.

And I decided that I am going to keep using the power supply I have, but I am going to mod it, so I got this stuff too. Now I going to have to replace the tips on each connector because I am going to shorten all the cable to work with this case only.

That is where I am so far on this build, it should be done by LANOC, but definity by NeXus LAN.
Renegade
NeXus LAN Director

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, 03:48:14 PM »

Awesome to see things won at a LAN used in a big way!   cant wait to see final build.    Keep posting pics along the way love build logs!

Renegade
NeXus LAN Director
Plague
Sniper

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2012, 05:23:48 AM »

Oops, I just realize I hadn't post the update I made on the LANOC board here. So I will post everything I have on their forum. it one giant update.
Plague
Sniper

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2012, 05:45:37 AM »

So from the above pictures, you see the general setup I quickly got together in December. This is how it is setup now.

I decided I didn't like how the radiator was mounted and fix this I had to remove all of the drive bays. So these few pictures are the setup for that.

This is what it looked like after remove everything inside. Now it is ready for the radiator to go back in.

Radiator mounted

Ok, now where I am going to mount that darn data Hard Drive. Oh, right there. I used some rudder offsets to keep the hard drive from sitting directly on the bottom of the case.

Motherboard back in.

Time to figure the pump and res. I got a new large pump that had a res that would mount to the front (same thing I have the phantom), but in the cube where space it limited the large pump was a little are hard to make fit.

Running all the lines, getting ready for fiulds.

And like anything I do... I got busy while putting it back together and didn't take anymore pictures until the end.. This is where this is build is internal at this point. I haven't got to the power wiring yet (but soon I hope)

Next post will be the window cutting I did this week.
Plague
Sniper

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2012, 06:07:11 AM »

So this is the most recent thing done. Actually did it last Thursday.

Window time!

Top window

And its leftovers. hehe

Left Large window layout

Right small window layout

Starter cuts are left and right sides.

Jigsaw time, and all done.

So Tape still on, and then off.

That is all for now. I have to clean up the window cut and get the windows mounted. Hopefull this week or next.
twodavez
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2012, 03:21:10 AM »

Looking good. You might give JJ a run for his money on this mod!
Plague
Sniper

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2012, 03:38:53 AM »

Updates got one of the windows in so far. I was trying a different mounting tape idea and it isn't working out so well. I also decide against my PSU mod that I was going to do due to time and overkill on this build. I picked up a SilverStone Strider 500W PSU and the short cable kit for it. Funny thing is that the power supply screw hole and the case hole don't match up. Go figure both are made my SilverStone and they don't match, well guess I get the dremmel out and fix that. Here are the pics.
Trying carpet tape for a closer mount for the window, this doesn't seem to be working well.

Got to get this cut down for the side windows

New PSU and cable kit.

Plague
Sniper

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2012, 05:09:30 AM »

Ya, I have done a few things to it since posting the new power supply... so here is an update for now, and I should have the other windows cut tomorrow (hopefully).

Top view after rearranging the hard drive and mounting and wiring the new power supply. It was interesting and kind of stupid of Silverstone that the short cable kit doesn't have a PCI-E cable with 2 connectors on it, I had to use the one from the large cable kit, but it all went together well.

left side view... I am adding what use to be the center support beam on the far Left to get the case a more support. Currently without it the front moves alot on the side. I have to drill the front screw hole and then it will be mounted. Nice things about that is it gave me clip spot for mounting the blue LED strip that is in it.

Another top shot from the other angle, in this angle if you look you will see that I moved the SSD and it is now mount on top of the 500Gb drive with mounting tape. and all the wiring for the drives comes out on the side closest case cover, this remove some of the cramped cabling I had going on beside the pump. HEHE, Now that spot has the PCI-E stuck in it.

Right side shot of the HD arranged this way.

So I turned it on without the case cover and this is with the blue LED strip on. Camera was having trouble dealing with the blue without the flash LOL, but it makes for a sweet picture.

Cyphis
NeXus LAN Staff

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2012, 04:20:22 PM »

Looks like a nice build dude.  Are you bringing this one to LANOC?  I'd love to see a finished build.

Cyphis

~ If I find in myself desires which nothing in this world can satisfy, the only logical explanation is that I was made for another world.      - C.S. Lewis ~
Plague
Sniper

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2012, 09:48:04 PM »

Looks like a nice build dude.  Are you bringing this one to LANOC?  I'd love to see a finished build.

Ya, trying to get it this round of stuff done before the LAN. That being said, window update below.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Window number 2: Large window on the left side of the case.

I was advised by someone that toothpaste would make a dermal not melt plexiglass, this didn't seem to work and just made a mess, so we cut it without the toothpaste at lower speed and it working out OK.

After removing the rough edge from the melting, this was the finish piece before installation.

Making sure it fit

Going to try the carpet tape again on the side with a thinner glass and see if it does a better job, put the weight on it and going to let it set over night before trying it on the case.

We are going to try to do the other window tomorrow.
gfx
Pages: [1] Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx gfx