Ohio's Largest PC Gaming Community & LAN Party

gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

NeXus LAN 24 was fantastic!!!  We will miss seeing everyone, but hope to see some of you at other LAN's down the line.   Thank you everyone for years of support and fun!!!!

gfx gfx
gfx
11324 Posts in 2476 Topics by 414 Members - Latest Member: Hanlin April 28, 2024, 07:26:18 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
      « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Tablets  (Read 12641 times)
Brandonxcore
Camper

View Profile WWW
« on: April 19, 2012, 03:17:24 AM »

I recently bought a Acer Iconia TAB A100, tablets are getting cheaper and better, I was just wondering, if you have a tablet, what is it, and what do you think of it?

MY RIG SPECS:
NZXT Phantom Newegg Edition
Gigabyte P67X-UD3-B3
Intel Core i5 2500k
EVGA GTX 295 Co-Op
Cooler Master Hyper 212+
Mushkin Joule 1200w
Cyphis
NeXus LAN Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2012, 07:57:48 PM »

I have been looking at the ASUS Eee Transformer Prime, but the newer one comes out in June, which is the ASUS Transformer Infinity I thin kthey are calling it?  Anyway, it is the TF700t model.  They supposedly fixed the GPS and wireless connectivity issues.  And it uses a quad core processor.

All that and I am not an Apple fan-boy.  So be quiet Renegade and Action.   Roll Eyes

Cyphis

~ If I find in myself desires which nothing in this world can satisfy, the only logical explanation is that I was made for another world.      - C.S. Lewis ~
Renegade
NeXus LAN Director

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2012, 08:28:00 PM »

I am no fan boy, I just buy the best item for the job, and frankly the iPad is superior IMO.

Renegade
NeXus LAN Director
twodavez
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2012, 08:34:15 PM »

I am no fan boy, I just buy the best item for the job, and frankly the iPad is superior IMO.

My phone is big enough for me as far as a personal hand held device, but if i did get one, i think i'd go with the iPad also just because they do seem to be better products and are leading this segment of the market. Plus with the other makers coming out with new ones every few weeks that vary in options (Dual core, quad core, 3g, 4g...) it just seems like the technology in the non-Apple market is still evolving very quickly and we still have better to see.

Now i have heard that the new Kindles are pretty sweet!
Wrage
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2012, 08:44:25 PM »

I've owned a Motorola Xoom, an Acer Iconia A500 and an Asus Transformer Prime TF201.  After I was fed up with inferior tablets, I bought a 64GB third generation iPad and haven't looked back.

For the record, I had an iPhone 3GS and a 4S and liked neither of them.  My phone is a vanilla Nexus S 3G so I'm not drinking the Apple Kool-aid.

Edit:  I also own a Kindle Fire that I've rooted and loaded a custom Ice Cream Sandwich ROM on.  It's come a long way but it's far from polished.
Brandonxcore
Camper

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2012, 10:34:29 PM »

Wasn't expecting a bunch of apple fanboys from NeXus Lan, LOL.

MY RIG SPECS:
Gigabyte P67X-UD3-B3
Intel Core i5 2500k
EVGA GTX 295 Co-Op
Cooler Master Hyper 212+
Mushkin Joule 1200w
Cyphis
NeXus LAN Staff

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2012, 11:29:45 PM »

Hey, we're not all like that.  Just "some" of us like the rotten fruit.   Grin

Cyphis

~ If I find in myself desires which nothing in this world can satisfy, the only logical explanation is that I was made for another world.      - C.S. Lewis ~
Action
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2012, 12:12:59 AM »

LOL has nothing to do with being a fan boy. Smiley it is just fact.  iPad especially the 3rd gen is simply the best tablet on the market.  Nothing really compares to the screen, etc.

[TC] Action
Website Administrator - NeXus LAN
XBox Live: ActionRZ
Brandonxcore
Camper

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2012, 12:21:23 AM »

LOL has nothing to do with being a fan boy. Smiley it is just fact.  iPad especially the 3rd gen is simply the best tablet on the market.  Nothing really compares to the screen, etc.

Well Nvidia Tegra 3 tablets, I don't think iPad 3 can hold up against them.

MY RIG SPECS:
Gigabyte P67X-UD3-B3
Intel Core i5 2500k
EVGA GTX 295 Co-Op
Cooler Master Hyper 212+
Mushkin Joule 1200w
Wrage
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2012, 02:08:07 AM »

Well that all really depends on what you're trying to benchmark against.  Truth is, I found the iPad 2 to be smoother than the Transformer Prime TF201.  Raw numbers only show for so much.  You have to sit down and use them thoroughly to make a real world determination.

All in all, I think the user experience on the Apple product was superior than what ICS could provide on the "flagship" Android tablet.  Also, given the history of the TF201, I wouldn't be surprised if people are waiting until November/December to actually get their hands on a TF700T model IF the tablet is launched in June.
Action
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2012, 08:31:06 PM »

The A5x is faster than the Tegra 3 but I was not even comparing that.  I am talking about the main experience and that is the screen.  Nothing on the market can even compare to the display on the iPad 3rd Gen.  We are talking 2048 x 1536 resolution on a 10" tablet.  I can barely stand looking at my PC monitor now Smiley

[TC] Action
Website Administrator - NeXus LAN
XBox Live: ActionRZ
spyware89
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2012, 07:25:25 PM »

I have a Viewsonic Gtablet 10.1" that I got from Tigerdirect a little over a year ago. It's a little dirty rascal. Do Not Get! Came with customized 2.3.4 Android on it, which was not meant to handle that size of a screen, so a tablet with 2.X is a bit like herpes. And all the ROM developers moved on to other tablets once they found out that Google wasn't releasing Honeycomb source. I got a ROM that was ported from an ASUS with Honeycomb running on it, and it works... ok. Some hickups, so I basically only use it as a Nook/Nookcolor kinda deal right now. But it works great for that, about 20 hours of battery life under use with Wifi on. Actually haven't used my laptop in about 7 months because I use the tablet so much, despite it's flaws. Going to get a Samsung Note soon though, when the release ICS for it, so that will probably Legacy the Viewsonic.
Plague
Sniper

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2012, 09:45:47 AM »

I have a Acer Iconia A500. I rooted and ROMed it would ICS. I really haven't used IPad because of the cost. Also, my phone is android, so it is must easier to use android on tablet and get all my paid apps on both devices. (which I don't think apple allows, or at least last time I really looked at one)

I like my tablet, but I have found that I could easily sell it and just use my laptop. It is convenient to have it for some things but not needed when you own a laptop.
Brandonxcore
Camper

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2012, 05:54:31 AM »

I have a Viewsonic Gtablet 10.1" that I got from Tigerdirect a little over a year ago. It's a little dirty rascal. Do Not Get! Came with customized 2.3.4 Android on it, which was not meant to handle that size of a screen, so a tablet with 2.X is a bit like herpes. And all the ROM developers moved on to other tablets once they found out that Google wasn't releasing Honeycomb source. I got a ROM that was ported from an ASUS with Honeycomb running on it, and it works... ok. Some hickups, so I basically only use it as a Nook/Nookcolor kinda deal right now. But it works great for that, about 20 hours of battery life under use with Wifi on. Actually haven't used my laptop in about 7 months because I use the tablet so much, despite it's flaws. Going to get a Samsung Note soon though, when the release ICS for it, so that will probably Legacy the Viewsonic.

There are many roms for the Gtab you can get off XDA forums, people are still currently working on the ICS roms, they got them 80% working, the camera and the microphone is the only thing that isnt working in them so far, it's a good tablet, just Viewsonic really screwed them self on putting that crap rom on it, really, they did.

I have a Acer Iconia A500. I rooted and ROMed it would ICS. I really haven't used IPad because of the cost. Also, my phone is android, so it is must easier to use android on tablet and get all my paid apps on both devices. (which I don't think apple allows, or at least last time I really looked at one)

I like my tablet, but I have found that I could easily sell it and just use my laptop. It is convenient to have it for some things but not needed when you own a laptop.

Nice Choice on the tablet, they just released the official Acer ICS update the end of April, go check this out Smiley http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1633907

MY RIG SPECS:
Gigabyte P67X-UD3-B3
Intel Core i5 2500k
EVGA GTX 295 Co-Op
Cooler Master Hyper 212+
Mushkin Joule 1200w
gfx
Pages: [1] Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx gfx