Ohio's Largest PC Gaming Community & LAN Party

gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

NeXus LAN 24 was fantastic!!!  We will miss seeing everyone, but hope to see some of you at other LAN's down the line.   Thank you everyone for years of support and fun!!!!

gfx gfx
gfx
11324 Posts in 2476 Topics by 414 Members - Latest Member: Hanlin April 27, 2024, 10:00:25 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
      « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: The dilemia - do i upgrade or not  (Read 8725 times)
Sideout
NeXus LAN Director

View Profile
« on: May 01, 2012, 03:27:38 PM »

So here is my current system:

Intel Core i7 920 CPU 2.66Ghz
6G Tri-Channel G-Skill RAM
AsRock X58 Extreme Motherboard
Patriot 120G SSD - Boot drive
Seagate 500G SATA - App drive
Cool-IT Closed Loop CPU Cooler
MSI Twin Razor GTX 460 1G 256bit memory
Seasonic 650Watt Power Supply
Coolmaster CM Scout Case
2 SATA optical drives

the 1366 motherboard is old technology and the while the Core i7 is only 2.66Ghz it is still a beast of a CPU.

Should i take the plunge to  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116505 or hold off?

I would have to replace CPU / Motherboard and potentially memory.
Renegade
NeXus LAN Director

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 05:06:05 PM »

1366 is older yes but by no means out dated or low end.    The new 2011 is the upgrade to the 1366 chip set.   If your going to upgrade I would be looking at going 2011 vs 1155.

And as I have said in the past unless there is an app/game that is pushing your system why upgrade.    That is a beast of a system.

I would wait for now.

Renegade
NeXus LAN Director
twodavez
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2012, 05:26:45 PM »

I have the same system, just with an older Video care (GTX 260) which i feel struggling with the newer games. Besides that though, the system runs great...
I agree, if it an't broke, don't fix it. Because about the time you upgrade, something else will come out, so you might just wanna wait till you need to and save your pennies until then.
Sideout
NeXus LAN Director

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 05:42:54 PM »

Yea I was looking at the 2011 chips.  They are pretty sexy.

I might just upgrade my video card instead now that the 680's are pushing down the price of the  500 series cards.

Thanks for the input.
Action
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2012, 10:58:02 PM »

Yeah I would say getting a 560 or above card would be the best upgrade at least for gaming. I have a 580gtx and it still runs everything on the market today at high settings.

[TC] Action
Website Administrator - NeXus LAN
XBox Live: ActionRZ
cheatch
Camper

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2012, 11:42:56 PM »

If ya got some money to burn, there's other things you could 'upgrade' other than video performance (which I don't think you'll see much of a difference with your setup)

I use a Filco Ninja Majestouch-2 Keyboard, which is kinda expensive but its the best keyboard I've used IMO and is very quite for being a mechanical keyboard. I would rather have this then 10 more frames per second on a game that you probably won't notice.

Then there's the Gear Grip PC Strap and Monitor shield, which helps protect your stuff and makes it a lot easier to carry. Renegade has both of them in his shop.

But ya, I agree with the others here and you aren't going to see much of a difference if you upgrade your motherboard/video card.

Sideout
NeXus LAN Director

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2012, 01:10:14 PM »

I have a Steel Series Merc keyboard now.  It is about 5 years old so I was thinking of upgrading that to the new series that they have.  I still have and use the LCD cover I won at an old DLF event  but it might be time to upgrade to a newer one.  That one is for 20" LCD's back when they were the biggest you could get.

Looking at upgrading to a modular power supply as well to help cable management as the scout cases dont  have alot of room in the back so you have to stuff it in there.

Thinking about  - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151095 or  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139010

gfx
Pages: [1] Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx gfx