Ohio's Largest PC Gaming Community & LAN Party

gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

NeXus LAN 24 was fantastic!!!  We will miss seeing everyone, but hope to see some of you at other LAN's down the line.   Thank you everyone for years of support and fun!!!!

gfx gfx
gfx
11324 Posts in 2476 Topics by 414 Members - Latest Member: Hanlin April 27, 2024, 06:23:31 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
      « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: New Flat Screen TV :-)  (Read 8506 times)
twodavez
« on: November 05, 2012, 07:29:12 PM »

My In-laws are going to buy my wife and I a flat screen TV (LCD, LED, Plasma...) for Christmas/Birthdays this Thanksgiving season. I'm thinking I want around a 42" as it would look not too big in my living room.

I'm sure I could learn a lot doing a simple Google Search, but could anyone give some things to look for?
For starters LCD, LED, or plasma (or are some of these combined now a days. It's been a while since I’ve researched these TV's as we're big computer users, and not really TV people. I anticipate using the TV more to stream video from my PC as we don't have and don't plan on getting cable or satellite.

If you have some sites that you really like that give good opinions, please let me know.

Thanks all for the help
Renegade
NeXus LAN Director

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012, 08:42:21 PM »

LED for sure, back light is LED much better then floresent.

LCD = Floresent blub and they are not making them and alot more expensive on repairs not because of that.

Plasma IMO old tech and other issues like you can't lay it down in transport.

Renegade
NeXus LAN Director
Cyphis
NeXus LAN Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 08:45:50 PM »

I am a big Samsung fan when it comes to LCD TV's and all.  Action is as well.  He has a nice one and he is big on researching before he buys.  So if you need info, he is a good source.

Cyphis

~ If I find in myself desires which nothing in this world can satisfy, the only logical explanation is that I was made for another world.      - C.S. Lewis ~
Action
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2012, 05:24:35 AM »

Yep Samsung IMHO makes the best panels and firmware.  They are a bit cheap when it comes to hardware though... like installing cheap caps that eventually buldge.  But it is an easy repair when/if they do.  But still worth it because they still make the best panels.

I would pick out a Samsung then read reviews on it.  Always purchase the latest model.  They upgrade them just about every year and you want the latest tech.  And like I said Samsung tends to make the best Firmware (computer inside the TV) as well.

[TC] Action
Website Administrator - NeXus LAN
XBox Live: ActionRZ
cytog64
Camper

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2012, 03:51:58 AM »

I have enjoyed both a Samsung LCD and LED. I also helped a friend build a gaming rig for his 51" plasma TV. Honestly all the technologies work quite well. Each has pros and cons.

I recommend researching the collection of Flat TV Myths:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Electronics-Promotions/Busting+the+Plasma+TV+Myths/pcmcat253800050011.c?id=pcmcat253800050011
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Electronics-Promotions/Busting+the+LED+TV+Myths/pcmcat253800050012.c?id=pcmcat253800050012

Here is one of my favorite Crutchfield articles that compare LCD and Plasma (LED is simply LCD tech with a different back light source)-
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-BgfGlw9Ubl9/learn/learningcenter/home/tv_flatpanel.html

I am looking to purchase a 42-51" plasma for PS3 gaming and BluRay viewing as my next item.

twodavez
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2012, 01:01:52 PM »

Thanks guys for all the help. I knew a simple google search would give me lots of websites, and you've helped me narrow it down to the ones that you've used and trust the information.
I love being a part of a community that looks out for eachother!
I'll make sure to post up what we end up getting,or are thinking about getting....
gfx
Pages: [1] Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx gfx