Ohio's Largest PC Gaming Community & LAN Party

gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

NeXus LAN 24 was fantastic!!!  We will miss seeing everyone, but hope to see some of you at other LAN's down the line.   Thank you everyone for years of support and fun!!!!

gfx gfx
gfx
11324 Posts in 2476 Topics by 414 Members - Latest Member: Hanlin April 28, 2024, 10:12:53 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
      « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: League of Legends Tournament Rules - Prizes supplied by Riot Games  (Read 57809 times)
Renegade
NeXus LAN Director

View Profile
« on: April 21, 2013, 04:16:55 PM »

Random Teams 5v5

Normal Draft

Min lvl 10 to play in tournament

Summoners Rift

Renegade
NeXus LAN Director
GetSomE
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2013, 03:38:12 PM »

In regards to the draft rules I found this bit that may change things.

From LOL wiki:As of November 15, 2011, 6 bans (3 per side) are allowed in Draft Mode. This means a player must have access to at least 16 champions in order to participate

Not sure if this is true when running custom games. If so then min lvl 10 doesnt really come into play. Only number of avaiable champs which include the 10 free champs in rotation.

Source: http://leagueoflegends.wikia.com/wiki/Draft_Pick
twodavez
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2013, 04:12:05 PM »

In regards to the draft rules I found this bit that may change things.

From LOL wiki:As of November 15, 2011, 6 bans (3 per side) are allowed in Draft Mode. This means a player must have access to at least 16 champions in order to participate

Not sure if this is true when running custom games. If so then min lvl 10 doesnt really come into play. Only number of avaiable champs which include the 10 free champs in rotation.

Source: http://leagueoflegends.wikia.com/wiki/Draft_Pick

I'm not speaking for the Staff, but i know when we've done LoL in the past, most players who are at lest level 10 have purchased some champs, or at least have enough IP/RP to buy a few to allow them to do the normal draft mode. Otherwise it's a pain, but the bans and picks are done face to face between teams and then the game mode is random pick and everyone is required to pick who was written down on  paper prior to the match beginning.
My suggestion is for that person to just buy a few champs to at least have 16 available and do the draft mode on the game as planned. I'm sure Cheatch will agree or modify my statement above to match how he'd like the rules to be for the tourney.

Good catch, it's never fun to have that one person in the group not be able to join the game and no-one remembering the 16 champ min.
cheatch
Camper

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2013, 05:38:37 PM »

Ok, so lvl 10 AND 16 champions available (there is 10 free available each week) is the requirement.

Its been mentioned before, however the teams will be completely randomized (random.org).

At the lan, going to do a roll call (2pm) of who's there and construct the teams right there. I will need everyone who is going to be in the tournament at least signed up with their summoner's name an hour before (1 pm).

The tournament will be single elimination.

Some teams may have an extra player and those teams need to decide who's playing. To balance this a little, the extra people will go in order of the teams and the last odd team will get a first round bye if there is one.

So for example, Team A, B, C, the first 2 extra people will go to team A and B, and C will get a first round bye because A vs B and C plays the winner of that match.
twodavez
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2013, 06:20:44 PM »

I'd rather not be an "extra" or Alternate on a team, so if there is only enough people for 5 teams, and one alternate, i'd be happy to drop out of the tourney. I would really rather not wait around to play a match, or not get to participate in my team's success. Unless i can spectate and tell them where everyone's at on the map via Teamspeak ;-)
Just kidding about the cheating, but i am serious about dropping if needed to ensure even teams. I know this will be a 1 pm determination, i just wanted to put it out there as i don't want and would not like an alternate or 2 on my team...
cheatch
Camper

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2013, 06:33:02 PM »

That's a good idea.

If we could get at most 5 volunteers as fillers, and they understand there is a chance that they will not be able to join the tournament, I will consider it.

I will also require the filler team to be lvl 30.

I'll sign myself up for the filler team as last to join (I'd rather concentrate on running this tournament but will join in if that means to prevent someone not playing).
cheatch
Camper

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2013, 06:34:42 PM »

Also, just to make clear, no one on the filler team will be in the same team in the tournament.
twodavez
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2013, 07:19:19 PM »

Also, just to make clear, no one on the filler team will be in the same team in the tournament.

I guess this caused more questions than answers. Hopefully we'll be able to convince enough people to play the day of to get even teams. I think this is all game day decision. While i like the idea of having a team of 6 with only a random 5 playing each game, i was just saying i'd rather not play than have to sit out a match.

I did this last time we had a Mini  where we had an odd number. I just dropped as it allowed me to focus on the game and running the tourney.

Can i also suggest that you have a 2nd in command so that if you end up playing that there is someone available to answer questions and settle simple issues so that you're not dragged away from your game and the other people feel they are being listened to. we has some issues with this when I was running the tourney at FortLAN. I was too involved in the game to keep track of the other teams, which hurt the overall experience for them, which was not my intention.

It's never fun when the person who loves to play the game the most is in charge of the tourney. Yes they're the expert in the game and can help solve disputes, but it's sad because they aren't able to play in it.
GetSomE
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2013, 03:52:39 PM »

If we only have the 5 teams would it be more fair to run a round robin tourney in place of the single elim? I was crunching some numbers. If we have the full 60 signed up at an average of 30 minute games the 12 teams would take about 2 hours. A 5 team round robin at the same 30 minute average would only take an additional 30 minutes for a total of 2 and a half hours. Not to mention that each of the 5 teams would be able to play 4 games making it feel more like a tourney.

twodavez
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2013, 04:15:35 PM »

I like the idea, but i also caution that when people are playing in a tourney, they tend to play a little safer, which can extend the game out.

I would like to see LoL take a larger spot at the LAN and be a major tourney with enough time for a round robin format to happen in future LAN's if we're allowed to vote for it and enough people sign up for the tourney to show it's popularity.

I did  a mini LAN where we had a 5 game round robin to seed teams. It took all day, but heck, it was a LOL mini LAN so everyone was there to play it. It was TONS of fun and people even stuck around at the end to watch the final few games.
cheatch
Camper

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2013, 05:15:11 PM »

If we only have the 5 teams would it be more fair to run a round robin tourney in place of the single elim? I was crunching some numbers. If we have the full 60 signed up at an average of 30 minute games the 12 teams would take about 2 hours. A 5 team round robin at the same 30 minute average would only take an additional 30 minutes for a total of 2 and a half hours. Not to mention that each of the 5 teams would be able to play 4 games making it feel more like a tourney.

No.

Team creation will take about 30 min.

The game itself can easily last an hour, then drafting characters takes more time, then setting up teams to actually play each other in a custom game takes even more time.

I'm looking to start and end the tournament within 4 hours (6pm) so we can gear up for the next tournament COD4 / Dinner.
cheatch
Camper

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2013, 01:40:53 PM »

Riot has agreed to provide some prizes to this tournament. They do require us to have at least 40 players (8 teams), so if there is not enough people for (draft mode), we may lower the requirements until we have enough (normal mode) :

1st place: $20 RP + Triumphant Ryze per player

2nd place: $15 RP per player

3rd place: $10 RP per player

4th place: $5 RP per player

twodavez
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2013, 01:50:56 PM »

Riot has agreed to provide some prizes to this tournament. They do require us to have at least 40 players (8 teams), so if there is not enough people for (draft mode), we may lower the requirements until we have enough (normal mode) :

THIS IS THE BEST NEWS I'VE HEARD ALL WEEK!
Riot finally has realized that supporting the Local LAN Scene is a good idea! AMAZING!!!!!!
Thanks Riot and thanks to whoever on staff finally got them to donate some prizes!
sooth
Ronster Beater

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2013, 02:24:20 PM »

HOLY CRAP THAT IS SO COOL!!!!  Shocked

Top winner at NEXUS LAN VII! Cheesy
Sponsor of NEXUS LAN 14
GetSomE
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2013, 08:53:15 PM »

That is totally awesome! <3 u Riot!
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx gfx