Ohio's Largest PC Gaming Community & LAN Party

gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

NeXus LAN 24 was fantastic!!!  We will miss seeing everyone, but hope to see some of you at other LAN's down the line.   Thank you everyone for years of support and fun!!!!

gfx gfx
gfx
11324 Posts in 2476 Topics by 414 Members - Latest Member: Hanlin May 05, 2024, 10:33:43 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
      « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: New 360 Dash Board...  (Read 17014 times)
Renegade
NeXus LAN Director

View Profile
« on: November 20, 2008, 02:59:09 AM »

Ok so I downloaded it with crossed fingers today as I have heard horror stories of units bricking already.  Anyway mine came down fine, but I gotta say WTH did they do to my 360.  Its kiddified, its cute, it have cutie music playing.   Its like Wii dash 2.0 or something.   Avatars now etc ugh not too impressed at all.   The page flip is nice but honestly I think the blades were easier to navigate and get to things.  I have a hard time finding things now.

What are other opnions?

Renegade
NeXus LAN Director
Action
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2008, 04:09:39 AM »

Only one word "Different".  First impressions it is kinda neat but I did not play with it much yet. 

On a side note the game "Lips" also came out today and it is pretty cool.  The wireless mics are really neat.  I have not tried them on Rock Band or GH World Tour yet.  But  it will definitely be cool if the mics work with those titles as well.

[TC] Action
Website Administrator - NeXus LAN
XBox Live: ActionRZ
virt
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2008, 02:58:54 PM »

I love the new dashboard it's more seamless and seems like Microsoft is getting their act together and making it more seamless with Windows.  While I agree that they took a page from the Wii, it feels a lot smoother then the previous dashboard and totally fits the 360.  Somewhere in the options, though, I think you have the option of going back to the previous dashboard theme with the blades.

Not sure though, I heard that that was being implemented.
Action
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2008, 06:57:57 PM »

Yeah, after playing with it more, I like it.

It might be due to my wireless but some times accessing areas of the dash board pauses on me.

[TC] Action
Cyphis
NeXus LAN Staff

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2008, 11:27:28 PM »

Wow, I feel like my 360 turned into a Wii.  I mean, can Microsoft not think of something original?  I hate the Avatar thing (Mii's for lack of a better word).  The only cool thing I see about it is that it runs with Netflix, which I happen to subscribe to.  That is pretty cool.

I hate the fact I can't just see a list of my friends now, but I have to scroll through and see who is online if I want to now.

My 360 already locked up in the menu several times for like 5 minutes at a time.

I am not impressed at all.  They should give you the option of using the old style, because I want it back.

Cyphis

~ If I find in myself desires which nothing in this world can satisfy, the only logical explanation is that I was made for another world.      - C.S. Lewis ~
Action
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2008, 12:01:33 AM »

Smiley I actually like the new avatar thing, though is a definite copy of the Wii, albeit much improved.  But what do we expect from Microsoft.  Everytihng to them is hardly original.  Windows is a direct copy of Mac OS and Amiga OS.

[TC] Action
virt
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2008, 02:46:19 PM »

If Windows was a direct copy of anything, they would have lawsuits out the ass. XD  You can't blame them for taking features that work and that people want in other operating systems and implementing into own designs.

Personally, after owning a Wii, I'd have to say that they took the idea from Nintendo and improved on it.  Vastly.  If you spin your character around with the left or right trigger for more then 3 seconds, your avatar becomes startled, as if he realizes he's spinning around and trying to stay balanced.  If you zoom in on your character and make him look down, sometimes your screen will shake and your avatar's eyes spins around as if he's stunned because he "hit his head" against your screen.  In all honestly, the only company that this discredits is Nintendo for allowing their competition to take their idea and make it better.  Their's been no improvements what so ever to the Mii's since it was launched.

And past the avatars is where the similarities end, I don't really see how it's turned into a Wii.  :\

Action
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2008, 03:03:36 PM »

If Windows was a direct copy of anything, they would have lawsuits out the ass. XD  You can't blame them for taking features that work and that people want in other operating systems and implementing into own designs.
lol, ok maybe I should not of use the terms "direct copy" but Microsoft has not come up with their own ideas rarely ever.  Almost everything has been "improved" on someone elses design.  And I use the word improved for a lack of better word as improved could be debated.  IMHO, Mac OSX  is better than windows it only lacks the large software base.  Now I of course would not say the Wii is better than the 360 because to me that definitely is not true at all but it is obvious that Nintendo came up with the avatar idea first.  I would not be surprised if they file a lawsuit to be honest.  I doub't it would hold up in court, but would not surprise me.

[TC] Action
virt
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2008, 05:00:59 PM »

A lawsuit over the avatar stuff is unlikely.  In order to file a lawsuit, Nintendo would first have to prove that Microsoft used their own IP to create their own version which is clearly not the case.  It was built from the ground up, with maybe the inspiration of the Wii's Mii's in mind, but is clearly owned and maintained by Microsoft. 

And it's as I said, Microsoft does it better then Nintendo- and seeing as how it was Nintendo's idea, it really actually looks worse for Nintendo in my opinion.  Not to mention, creating a "look alike character" such as the Mii or Avatar is not a new idea, it's just the first time it was implemented into an actual console.
Action
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2008, 05:10:02 PM »

I dunno but unless I am mistaken Microsoft has been sued over similar things such as force feedback, Internet Explorer, Search, etc.  So who knows.  I highly doub't it but would not surprise me.

[TC] Action
JeLLITYMe
Sniper

SF guru

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2008, 10:01:08 PM »

I dunno but unless I am mistaken Microsoft has been sued over similar things such as force feedback, Internet Explorer, Search, etc.  So who knows.  I highly doub't it but would not surprise me.
MS and SONY were sued for the force feedback system because they used exact replicas of of the victims blueprint, with the avatars, they are too different to mii's, and wouldn't hold up in court.

If you are not doing something to its maximum, why do it?
XBL: JeLLITYMe
Same tag for Steam, Origin, psn etc.
Uptime podcast host:uptime.podomatic.com
Cra2hgirl
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2008, 10:14:49 PM »

Now come on guys... you all know you like it now that the dashboard is all cutsie!  Grin
Rune
Camper

Bringer of Brightslap

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2008, 04:57:49 PM »

Dont really like it all too much except the premium themes. Casuals and non-gamers do tend to like it a lot, though (like my mom and sister).

I'm back. Kinda. Maybe. Been sleep since Nexus LAN 3.
Majorpayne
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2009, 02:35:19 AM »

It does bring in a little more theme to it. But who wants to pay for premium themes..and stuff..already paying xbox live.. Its a nice update but yea like you said.. Some people have 360s that brick.
Modious
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2009, 03:22:23 AM »

I prefer the old layout, i dont care for fancy things, but it was meant to appeal to a broader audience.
gfx
Pages: [1] Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx gfx