Ohio's Largest PC Gaming Community & LAN Party

gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

NeXus LAN 24 was fantastic!!!  We will miss seeing everyone, but hope to see some of you at other LAN's down the line.   Thank you everyone for years of support and fun!!!!

gfx gfx
gfx
11324 Posts in 2476 Topics by 414 Members - Latest Member: Hanlin May 17, 2024, 11:28:43 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
      « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: STEAM Crashes? Display driver fails?  (Read 6941 times)
AceNightBlade
« on: January 27, 2009, 11:16:07 PM »

Ugh well i finally got my first build done and working after a full month of 2 RMAs for my motherboard. Its rather odd, but i couldn't find any solutions so i thought i might post here.
So i installed a fresh copy of windows XP as soon as I got my PC running. All is well, i pop in my orange box disc to install, steam installs fine and the installation gets to the point of telling me to insert disc 2. i open the drive and *BAM* my screen goes black and keyboard and mouse becomes non-responsive.I thought my display driver failed, but I'm not sure. I have no choice to restart the computer. When i restart, every game for the orange box reads "download paused" which isn't a big deal. I figured this was one of those one time lock-ups, but i guess not after i tried again and again. I even reinstalled windows XP to see if that was the problem. It wasn't.
Also, i can't play any STEAM games either, like Half Life 2, other non-steam games work fine.
I'm a bit confused, and I'm looking for a solution.

~SPECS~
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.4 Ghz
4 GB RAM (XP says 2.75)
ATI 2600 XT 256mb
nVidia nForce 780i SLI Motherboard
Thermaltake 850w PSU
400 GB Hard Drive
AceNightBlade
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2009, 12:47:26 AM »

fixed it. Tongue
its been a while since ive reformatted and forgot to update directX.
Cra2hgirl
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2009, 07:33:27 AM »

Glad you were able to find the solution. 
gfx
Pages: [1] Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx gfx