Ohio's Largest PC Gaming Community & LAN Party

gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

NeXus LAN 24 was fantastic!!!  We will miss seeing everyone, but hope to see some of you at other LAN's down the line.   Thank you everyone for years of support and fun!!!!

gfx gfx
gfx
11324 Posts in 2476 Topics by 414 Members - Latest Member: Hanlin May 17, 2024, 06:34:12 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
      « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Building a server  (Read 7902 times)
Vaccination
« on: March 18, 2010, 05:20:14 AM »

Hey guys!

New to the site..been following it now for a few weeks. looks like a fun bunch to game with. In the process of building a new rig so i dont think i will make this next lan but hopefully the one after that (my "current" rig was in my trunk when an f250 pickup decided to crawl up the backside of my taurus lol)

anyway, Im new to the idea of building my own gaming server. Kinda curious as to what im looking for as far as hardware specs. nothing too powerful, just for say 34 max people. COD4/5 and TFC/TF2 and a handful of rts are what my friends and i generally end up playing. What other info would you need to give me a rough idea? Maybe you could point me to an online article? ive done a good bit of google searches and found nothing but very very dated info.

Thanks!
Nacelle
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 11:04:30 AM »

It takes less than you think. I had a Athlon XP 1.4ghz and 512mb ram run a dozen people, no problem. TF2, CoD4, L4D, BF2...It just loaded a little slow
Infamousd
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010, 12:41:09 PM »

Don't need a huge amount of processor speed 2 ghz is great (hell my laptop can work as a game server in a pinch), maybe 2 to 4 gig of memory, win XP, not a ton of hard drive space - a 250 gig drive should be more than adequate, but you want lots of net speed. the fastest network connection the better! Gig nic (lans), high speed internet - fast upload speed! Extra steam account helps, but not always necessary.
Action
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2010, 12:02:47 AM »

Yeah I am with what everyone else said.  You really do not need a fast processor unless you plan to run more than one server at a time.  And even then a low end dual or quad should be fine.  The game server I use for our official tournaments is only a Core 2 2.4 or so.

[TC] Action
Website Administrator - NeXus LAN
XBox Live: ActionRZ
Vaccination
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2010, 08:34:08 AM »

thanks for all of the input guys! think i have a place to start now.....still trying to decide if i want to build my new ftp server or htpc first and then the game server. tempted to build the ftp with a bit of overkill so in a pinch it could double as a game server.
gfx
Pages: [1] Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx gfx