Ohio's Largest PC Gaming Community & LAN Party

gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

NeXus LAN 24 was fantastic!!!  We will miss seeing everyone, but hope to see some of you at other LAN's down the line.   Thank you everyone for years of support and fun!!!!

gfx gfx
gfx
11324 Posts in 2476 Topics by 414 Members - Latest Member: Hanlin May 21, 2024, 11:56:54 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
      « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Seeking opinions of this 800$ Intel/Nvidia build  (Read 5610 times)
cytog64
Camper

View Profile WWW
« on: November 24, 2010, 10:05:23 PM »

One of my coworkers asked me for build ideas today. The quick (but very loose budget) was 800$.

From his use it is sounding like this will be a partial home theater (HDMI to 57" tv) and light gaming (EVE online). Storage is not an issue because he has about 1tb of NAS in his home network. He does, however, want drive speed so I have pushed him towards the SSD, SATA 3 and USB3 technology. The only other caveats are no lights (this will be a darkened room and there should be no glare from the pc on the TV). He already has Win7 64bit. The case and DVD/RW (has PS3 for Bray) drive can be cheap.

I chose the following on Newegg and ended up at about 840$:
Intel I5-750 socket lg1156
Cooler Master CPU fan/heatsink (quiet)
Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128412)
EVGA (or Gigabyte) 460 GTX 786mb pcie vid card
4gb (2x2) 1600mhz ram (gaming grade Crucial,OCZ,Kingston HyperX,Corsair)
OCZ Agility 2 60Gb SSD
Cooler Master 700W modular PSU (quiet)
Cooler Master 430 MidATX tower (with one extra 120mm fan to replace blue lighted one)

So far (he later told me he likes to break budgets) he has upped the RAM to 8gb, added $100 by going to an 850W psu (gold rated), and upped the SSD to the 120GB model. I think he will also go with an I7 but has not made that move yet.

Be gentle : )

330T
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2010, 04:55:16 AM »

Save some money got with a good SATA or SAS HD,  I have SSD and they are faster, but not fast enough to justify the cost of almost 2x per MB

Go to a 550w PSU he'll NEVER use a 850 with what he wants to do, throw that extra money into more RAM.  With win 7 64, 4 is bare min, 6 is nice for web and email users, 8 is idea for gaming, 12+ if you are doing encoding or other work.

Dont wast the money on the i7 over the i5, for a HTPC and light gaming put more $ into the video card.
Infamousd
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, 04:36:10 PM »

Save some money got with a good SATA or SAS HD,  I have SSD and they are faster, but not fast enough to justify the cost of almost 2x per MB

Go to a 550w PSU he'll NEVER use a 850 with what he wants to do, throw that extra money into more RAM.  With win 7 64, 4 is bare min, 6 is nice for web and email users, 8 is idea for gaming, 12+ if you are doing encoding or other work.

Dont wast the money on the i7 over the i5, for a HTPC and light gaming put more $ into the video card.

what he said!
gfx
Pages: [1] Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx gfx