Ohio's Largest PC Gaming Community & LAN Party

gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

NeXus LAN 24 was fantastic!!!  We will miss seeing everyone, but hope to see some of you at other LAN's down the line.   Thank you everyone for years of support and fun!!!!

gfx gfx
gfx
11324 Posts in 2476 Topics by 414 Members - Latest Member: Hanlin May 05, 2024, 10:51:33 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
      « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: COD MW2 will NOT have a dedicated PC server  (Read 22499 times)
Renegade
NeXus LAN Director

View Profile
« on: October 18, 2009, 11:15:31 PM »

From Blues News.

http://www.bluesnews.com/cgi-bin/board.pl?action=viewstory&threadid=103314

"There will be no dedicated server for Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, reports a new BASH webcast on BASHandSlash.com, where they converse with Infinity Ward community manager Rob Bowling about their concerns that PC platform is being marginalized for MW2 (thanks Steve). They learn the PC edition is still not delayed, and will include Steam support, but their concerns are only heightened by learning that there are no plans for a dedicated server for the game, as matchmaking on the PC will entirely go through IW.net. Robert did not have answers to questions about how this will impact custom map-making and modification efforts. The Infinity Ward Forums have a petition asking for dedicated server support and there's another Dedicated Servers for CoD-MW2 Petition on petitionsonline.com that currently boasts over 15,000 signatures."

All I gotta say is LAME and I am getting sick of companies pissing on local/lan play and LAN Parties.   Come one making it mandatory that you have to play via inet servers of the companies is LAME pure and simple.

I kinda understand it as they are trying to prevent piracy but they need to do something else as this will really hurt the game in Lan play and tournaments.

Renegade
NeXus LAN Director
Jpwinkis
Sniper

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2009, 12:21:20 AM »

Guess the delay does not affect me as I will not be getting the game.
Renegade
NeXus LAN Director

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2009, 12:37:35 PM »

Added info posted today on ve3d.com

No mod tools either means no freeze tag, no mods, no free maps for mw2 sigh they are really pissing in the wind here on this version to the pc players.

Link - http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/50849/Modern-Warfare-2-No-Dedicated-Servers-or-Mod-Tools

Modern Warfare 2 No Dedicated Servers or Mod Tools

Fans of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 are pissed and petitioning after finding out that MW2 will not feature dedicated servers or PC mod tools. A post on BASHandSlash details information revealed by Infinity Ward's Rob Bowling in an interview on a BASH123 webcast. Here are some of the main points which started a major MW2 backlash over the weekend.

We're doing a lot on the backend to make the game accessible for everyone.

There is no delay for the PC version of MW2

There's prestige mode

Jason West at the MP event, said that he was dead on, on the matchmaking servers. We've been building a system on the backend called IW.NET.

You are completely reliant on IW.NET. There are no server lists. There are no dedicated servers.

You have private matches where you can customize the game

You cannot put MW2 on a dedicated server.

This is the first time we've ever done something like this and the team has huge plans for what IW.NET develops into.

Customizing your game...you have quite a few options in a private match

You're getting same game (as in Console), plus matchmaking and private match.

Server admin point-of view, NO DEDICATED SERVERS

Renegade
NeXus LAN Director
Cra2hgirl
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2009, 12:56:40 PM »

lame.
Renegade
NeXus LAN Director

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2009, 01:03:16 PM »

Agree.  And with the fact that they kicked the price of the game to 60.00 I am NOT going to buy it day 1 like I planned and I am going to take a wait and see attitude on this game before I waste 60.00 on a game that the Multiplayer sucks and basically is worth nothing more then a solo shooter game.

Renegade
NeXus LAN Director
twodavez
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2009, 01:19:32 PM »

While you guys don't have a huge problem with internet, what about small (house) LAN's or Huge 200 person LAN's? Neither is going to have enough bandwidth to allow everyone to play online. That's kinda the point of a LAN!
Guess greed is going to overpower fun. I feel sorry for my kids, and the next generation who aren't going to understand what it's like to Frag somoene in the same room, everything will be online and they'll become even less personable!
Renegade
NeXus LAN Director

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2009, 01:42:59 PM »

Agreed Dave.   I mean if I have 10 people over to play multi we will have to play online via IW servers cant play local lan etc and we wont have the ability to hit the best ping server as there are no server lists etc.

From what is being posted it looks like its listen servers as well.   EG the games are run by other peoples connections like on consoles eg we will be playing on low end connections with high ping.  Sure the person that the game is running off of will have great ping but everyone else will be lagging all over the place.

All I can say is I dont recommend anyone buy this game right away.   Take a wait and see attitude on this one before you waste 60.00.  Yeah 60.00 for a PC game.  Activision said they are testing the waters to see if the PC market will accept 60.00 for AAA titles.   I sure hope people send activision a message.  In these times of people with out jobs, layoffs, recession etc to raise game prices is just a kick in the teeth to the consumer.   Its just as bad as sports stadiums raising the prices of everything they sell when they cant hardly sell out the stadium as is.   $7.50 for 1 beer is highway robbery.

Renegade
NeXus LAN Director
Renegade
NeXus LAN Director

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2009, 04:05:55 PM »

Dice/EA react to news about mw2 no dedicate server.

http://planetbattlefield.gamespy.com/fullstory.php?id=160413

Renegade
NeXus LAN Director
Renegade
NeXus LAN Director

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2009, 03:07:14 AM »

WoW the clans are really pissed off about about.  100's of clans have posted that there members are canceling mw2.   

http://www.infinityward.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=125310

Postings on IW's forums of people going to gamestops and saying I need to Canel and the sales person finishes the statement with let me guess MW2 PC.

Over 80k signatures on the petition.

MW2 went from 8 to #79 on the Amazon hot 100 in 24 hours of the announcement. LOL

All I gotta say is IW/Activision you getting the message yet?

Renegade
NeXus LAN Director
twodavez
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2009, 12:38:01 PM »

Here's a petition that was brought up on LAN OC's forums. It was at 50,000 yesterday, today it's at 93,000 signatures. Share it out and we'll see if it does any good.
http://www.petitiononline.com/dedis4mw/petition.html
Cyphis
NeXus LAN Staff

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2009, 03:56:14 PM »

I am number 99,891 on the petition.

Cyphis

~ If I find in myself desires which nothing in this world can satisfy, the only logical explanation is that I was made for another world.      - C.S. Lewis ~
Renegade
NeXus LAN Director

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2009, 12:32:06 PM »

From Ve3d.com here is IW's attempt at damage control on the issue.

With the protest group close to 120,000 members, Infinity Ward's Robert Bowling has offered further details about Modern Warfare 2's dedicated server replacement, IWNET:

"Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 is actually the biggest investment Infinity Ward has ever made into the PC version of our games. It’s also the most feature-rich PC version we’ve ever made. IWNET takes the benefits of dedicated servers and allows them to be utilized and accessed by every player, out of the box, while removing the barrier to entry for players unaware of how to maintain a server on their own.
How does it do this?

Matchmaking & Smoother Gameplay: When you want to player a multiplayer game on PC, in the past. You’d have to scroll through a Server Browser which listed every available server which was hosted by individual server admins. Each had their own private rules, mods, or ways of playing the game. Most players would also use the server browser to find just the best quality game (based on PING). With IWNET matchmaking, it takes all that into account for you. All you have to do is select the playlist (pre-set gametypes with custom rules) that fits the style of play you are in the mood for. When you do, it will automatically find you a game with the best performance, ping, and preferences based on your location and individual connection as well as matching you with players of your same SKILL. So you’re always guaranteed the best game performance for where you are and what connection you’re playing on as well as an equal game with other players of your same skill level, not rank, but skill level. It doesn’t mean you’ll just be thrown into a random game! It will put you in the game that will give you the smoothest gameplay possible without you having to manually find a server with the best ping.

Cheat / Hack Free Games: The biggest benefit of using IWnet by far is the fact that you don’t have to worry about joining a server full of aim-bots, wallhacks, or cheaters. Or relying on the server admin of the server to constantly be monitoring, banning, and policing it. Modern Warfare 2 on PC allows us to control the quality of the game much more than ever before as well as utilizing the VAC (Valve-Anti-Cheat) system to keep games clean of hackers and cheaters.

All in all, IWNET adds a load of new features that the PC version of our games have never had before and allows us an infrastructure to continue to update and improve on the game post-launch."

All in all, a step back for PC gaming. Matchmaking is fine in addition to a server browser, but removing an option ingrained into our platform's past is a major snafu.

Renegade
NeXus LAN Director
Action
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2009, 03:59:41 PM »

That match making is fine and dandy but MAKE IT A CHOICE you silly people!  Have both dedicated server browsing plus match making!  How stupid can they be.

[TC] Action
Website Administrator - NeXus LAN
XBox Live: ActionRZ
Jpwinkis
Sniper

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2009, 03:37:02 PM »

Fildy
Camper

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2009, 10:23:31 PM »

Just signed.

198267 Signatures Total

I would say that about half of these people do not plan on buying the game at all. I wonder if there will be a MW2 dump similar to the ET atari dump.

hmmmmmm
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx gfx