Ohio's Largest PC Gaming Community & LAN Party

gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

NeXus LAN 24 was fantastic!!!  We will miss seeing everyone, but hope to see some of you at other LAN's down the line.   Thank you everyone for years of support and fun!!!!

gfx gfx
gfx
11324 Posts in 2476 Topics by 414 Members - Latest Member: Hanlin May 12, 2024, 12:11:59 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
      « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Windows 8.....  (Read 16688 times)
Renegade
NeXus LAN Director

View Profile
« on: March 01, 2012, 04:03:12 PM »

So anyone that has tried Windows 8 post up your thoughts.

I have it installed on a laptop and well yeah.   far as I am concerned MS has again done the every other version sucks syndrome.

Renegade
NeXus LAN Director
Murphyslaw
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 04:11:04 AM »

I thought it had some interesting features that could be convenient but I really see no reason to buy it to upgrade once it comes out.  Also I noticed it was really hard drive intensive.
Infamousd
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 08:36:45 PM »

So anyone that has tried Windows 8 post up your thoughts.

I have it installed on a laptop and well yeah.   far as I am concerned MS has again done the every other version sucks syndrome.

my gut reaction was "hated it". Looks too much like a mobile device OS. Could be a nightmare for those who work on PC's as it seems MS is continuing to hide functional tools and settings. Of course this is a two way street since user can't get to em and monkey up stuff either.

As for your comment, yeah it's the first version of a "new" OS, IE: win95, win2k, vista, and I'm sure even older version of win3.x and DOS. Just goes to show they can't seem to get it right the first time, but with time MS OS gets better. ( MAC peeps keep yer high classed mouths shut please!)  Tongue
cr0wmium
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 07:23:25 PM »

I installed it on my netbook, because my home/work PC are too stylized to upgrade right now.

Sadly, the metro "Windows" key experience doesn't function on my resolution, but definitely a speed improvement for my little netbook.

We installed it on a spare PC in the office, and I liked it a lot. I am a big fan of the metro experience... I just am eager to see how Win8 functions with gaming.

Overall... seems like a tablet experience.
=[TN]= Venus_Wong
NeXus LAN Staff

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2012, 10:19:34 PM »

Is this anything to be concerned about?

http://www.everything-microsoft.com/2012/06/11/windows-8-pcs-linux-uefi/

The cliff notes version is through UEFI and secure boot Microsoft will not allow for the installation of an OS that is not Windows 8.

=[TN]= Venus_Wong
Renegade
NeXus LAN Director

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2012, 03:08:47 AM »

Really only an issue if you buy a pre-built PC with secure boot enabled, and you want to put on something other then win 8.   If you build the PC, order it with Win 7, or its a pre win 8 system should be no issues.

Does mean that any new windows 8 pc's wont be dual booting OS's thats for sure.

Renegade
NeXus LAN Director
Ogre
Sniper

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2012, 02:56:02 AM »

Have played around with it. Its alright, seems pretty fast even with the base system I threw it on: Dell Core 2 Duo, 2Gb RAM, 60gb hard drive. Still think its geared to be solely a tablet OS though.
Cyphis
NeXus LAN Staff

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2012, 12:54:16 PM »

The conspiriacy theorist in me says Microsoft is going to do it like that for Windows 8, and then manufacture touch screen monitors so they can get even more money out of all of us.  MWA HA HA!!! 

Cyphis

~ If I find in myself desires which nothing in this world can satisfy, the only logical explanation is that I was made for another world.      - C.S. Lewis ~
twodavez
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2012, 02:29:01 PM »

Big question is, will this be the new way window's will work, or will they release a PC friendlier version for Windows 9? holding true to the every-other version is worth upgrading to? I know i'm not in the market for a touchscreen monitor, plus how many games are going to be developed to handle that slow of a button method? it's going to be pretty hard to beat having hand face down on a table punching buttons on a keyboard or having extras on a mouse.

Unless they are planning to have the monitor sit in your lap so that it'smove like a normal keyboard we're used to...
Ogre
Sniper

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2012, 08:10:27 PM »

Well from what I have read and heard around the way Microsoft wants to focus on touch screen/tablets for the near future and yes twodavez, I have seen news that Microsoft wants push out a line of their own hardware from pc's all the way to the windows phone. So prepare to see more of this crap whether you like it or not.
twodavez
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2012, 11:19:00 PM »

I just can't see the benefit to having a touchscreen at home or even at work (where Microsoft makes the big bucks selling their software). Unless gaming takes a huge turn to touch screen (Which i don't see happening as aftermarket mouse and keyboards are a big industry now) i can't see me ever needing a touch screen at home. and if i needed it at work for a meeting, then i'd just get a tablet. Not an entire desktop with a touchscreen monitor...
just my $.02
Action
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2012, 08:07:50 PM »

Yeah unless they come out with a version without any of the touch screen bloat, I will be skipping this release.
Apple and Android have the tablet market - Windows 8 will not be able to compete IMHO.... too much of a bloat OS compared to those.

[TC] Action
Website Administrator - NeXus LAN
XBox Live: ActionRZ
evildoer
Sniper

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2012, 03:12:49 PM »

Windows 8 is the best windows ever!  I am forbidden to state anything else on Windows 8.

At the next mini, I'll be running Windows 8 on my LAN rig.  Because it's AWESOME.
twodavez
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2012, 04:10:22 PM »

Windows 8 is the best windows ever!  I am forbidden to state anything else on Windows 8.

At the next mini, I'll be running Windows 8 on my LAN rig.  Because it's AWESOME.
and how much does Systemax get paid from microsoft for you to say this ;-) j/k

I'm usually a year behind the curve when it comes to Operating systems, so i'll see what everyone else does and usually i follow the herd!
Renegade
NeXus LAN Director

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2012, 05:49:18 PM »

Are you freaking kidding me?   I like MS but Win 8 is not the golden egg.   Win 7 for me.

Renegade
NeXus LAN Director
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx gfx