Ohio's Largest PC Gaming Community & LAN Party

gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

NeXus LAN 24 was fantastic!!!  We will miss seeing everyone, but hope to see some of you at other LAN's down the line.   Thank you everyone for years of support and fun!!!!

gfx gfx
gfx
11324 Posts in 2476 Topics by 414 Members - Latest Member: Hanlin May 02, 2024, 07:22:20 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
      « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: NeXus LAN VIII Facebook Link  (Read 17262 times)
Action
Administrator

View Profile
« on: September 02, 2010, 12:38:00 AM »

Here is the link for NeXus LAN VIII Event on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=151431961543079

Please invite all your facebook friends.

[TC] Action
Website Administrator - NeXus LAN
XBox Live: ActionRZ
Nacelle
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 03:44:38 PM »

It's your event and I don't want to tell you what to do, but I still hate the time. Having to drive all the way home to Muncie, IN at 6:30am after being up all night is NOT good. I don't understand why you can't be like everyone else and have normal hours? Keep an eye on the news the next day for reports of a car load of geeks and their computers driving off the road and crashing.
Renegade
NeXus LAN Director

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2010, 04:35:01 PM »

I guess I do not understand the issue on the times.   I mean if the lan went to say noon you would be up all night and still dead tired at noon when you drove home.   Why not grab a cheap room to get some sleep in then head home or who ever the driver is crash at the lan on the floor about 3 am for a while.

What hours do think would be better?

Renegade
NeXus LAN Director
Action
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2010, 04:50:35 PM »

I think he might mean to open it early and then close it earlier?  If so, we did that for the first couple of lans before but too many people complained about ending too early and also only a small percentage showed up before 2pm anyhow.  These hours seems to be more accepted by everyone else.

Like Renegade said, do what I do when I got to distant LANS like LANOC.  I get a hotel there.  Though they are technically a two day LAN.  Unfortuantely we can not do that at Mound St.  Maybe for a future LAN though.

[TC] Action
Renegade
NeXus LAN Director

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2010, 05:20:41 PM »

Yes if your referring to opening earlier and closing earlier we tried that and had overwhelming feedback that opening at 10am and ending at 3am was too early both times.  People wanted to sleeping and them game all night long which is the hours the lan is now.

Renegade
NeXus LAN Director
Plague
Sniper

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2010, 07:53:48 PM »

I like the current hours.

This coming from someone that drives back to Columbus after the LAN on Sunday morning, and use to go right to Church when I got back without going to sleep first.

The hours are good. And after the last tourney there are a few hours sleep if you need it.
Nacelle
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2010, 11:03:36 PM »

Yes, I meant earlier. If that's what you all like to do that's fine. I'm just giving my opinion. It's also the reason why I'll never attend one of the mini-lans. Most of the other single day LANs I've been to, start at around 10am and and go til late. Those are adult hours. During the average week, I wake up at 6am. I normally never stay up past 1 or 2 on the weekend and I'm dead tired then. I don't find it hard to show up when the doors open at 10. I make it a priority to do so. I don't say up late the night before. I think people who can't bother themselves to show up on time should be the reason to change things. Also, one great thing about lan parties is that they're cheap to go to. Getting a room more than doubles the money that I'd have to spend and I'm just not going to do it. We could leave early I suppose. But then we loose out on the raffle.
Renegade
NeXus LAN Director

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2010, 11:27:12 PM »

Raffles are always at midnight.  So would would only lose out if you left before midnight.

The reason again for the change was it gave the staff more sleep that morning by opening at 2pm and at 10am no one showed up till 2 or 3pm so it was a waste to be there that early so the times were changed due to the large amount of people asking for the lan to run later into the night.

Renegade
NeXus LAN Director
Cyphis
NeXus LAN Staff

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2010, 08:25:47 PM »

It's also the reason why I'll never attend one of the mini-lans. Most of the other single day LANs I've been to, start at around 10am and and go til late. Those are adult hours.

For the mini lans, you have to realize that the mini lan is at a business.  They start the LAN at the Saturday closing hours and run until 4AM.  The proprieter is there the whole time and still needs to have some sleep before the day on Sunday.  We have to respect that.

Cyphis

~ If I find in myself desires which nothing in this world can satisfy, the only logical explanation is that I was made for another world.      - C.S. Lewis ~
Renegade
NeXus LAN Director

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2010, 02:22:46 AM »

Yes as Cyphis pointed out the Mini's are at my computer store and I can't have all those people in the store while its open just too much noise etc.  I close at 4pm so that is when the lan starts for the mini's.   I am there from about 10am to 4am the next day.

Renegade
NeXus LAN Director
Denied
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2010, 02:30:34 AM »

I understand the point he is trying to make, but I do agree gaming is better in the late night hours.  I wake up at 5am everyday, and look forward to sleeping in and doing stuff around the house until noon on saturdays.  I think 10 am on a Saturday would be a struggle for alot of younger gamers.  Just my 2 cents.
Nacelle
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2010, 11:57:49 AM »

On the other hand, I wake up on Saturday and can't wait to get to the LAN. Toolin' around the house can be done on the 47 Saturdays of the year. (assuming 5 lans a year) Then at least then you have all Sunday to do other stuff. Getting home at 8am and then sleeping blows that whole day too. I don't understand everyone's aversion to waking up and being somewhere at 10am. It's not like it's that early. My sons are younger gamers, they don't have any trouble. We pack the car the night before. Then we wake up, jump in and go.
Renegade
NeXus LAN Director

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2010, 01:23:23 PM »

Well in the end it was tried and we got tired of sitting around with no one there till 2 or 3pm in the afternoon so we shifted the hours on the main lan for that reason.

As for the mini's I am up early that day but the venue of my store is not good to start a lan till 4pm.   If Nexus had a location for mini's that they could start earlier they might use that but I suspect they would not start any earlier then 2pm at another venue to be honest.

Renegade
NeXus LAN Director
Action
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2010, 04:38:05 AM »

Yeah, if we start seeing more people show up exactly at 2pm then we might consider moving it up an hour or two at a future LAN, but with 8 LANS so far we saw maybe 10 show up at 2pm.  With that said some came early at the last main LAN and we were not ready and had to keep the doors locked until 2pm.

The only thing is I do not want to make staff come early and then still ask them to stay until 7-8am the next day for take down.  It is rought on me and I know it is for everyone else.  But I can handle it a few times a year. Smiley

[TC] Action
gfx
Pages: [1] Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx gfx