Ohio's Largest PC Gaming Community & LAN Party

gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

NeXus LAN 24 was fantastic!!!  We will miss seeing everyone, but hope to see some of you at other LAN's down the line.   Thank you everyone for years of support and fun!!!!

gfx gfx
gfx
11324 Posts in 2476 Topics by 414 Members - Latest Member: Hanlin May 05, 2024, 09:59:27 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
      « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Arcade Cabinets  (Read 13692 times)
z0id
« on: May 01, 2009, 05:26:58 PM »

Hey, I just wanna throw this out here but you guys need to check out MAME (Multi Arcade Machine Emulator) Me and my father are building a cabinet and some joystick control panels to make a arcade that has more than 1400+ games and it can run multiple emulators like.. n64, xbox, atari etc...

Its all done by having a pc in a arcade shell basically and having it run into your monitor and firing the emulator up, theres this thing called Maximus Arcade which lets you run the multiple emulators while covering windows up like it wasent even there... and only requires 1ghz processor so buying a pc for it is cheap.

I think you guys should google "MAME Arcade cabinets" or yotube it, its very interesting.
Renegade
NeXus LAN Director

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2009, 06:51:02 PM »

I love M.A.M.E I have built 2 cabinets so far.  Mine currently has installed over 5100 games on it, plus a Video Juke Box as well.  I run the MAMEWah front end.

Emu's running currently are

MAME
Daphne
Zinc
Custom PC game memu launcher
Custom Video Juke Box with around 300 video's

Here are a couple pics of my current unit.

Renegade
NeXus LAN Director
z0id
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2009, 09:06:29 PM »

Oh my goodness! I'm torrenting a mass amount of emulators and roms, think i should put in extra plans to my cab and put the maxium force guns?
Renegade
NeXus LAN Director

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2009, 09:25:47 PM »

The more space the better.  I also have a hidden light gun that I pull out for gun games.  I wish I had more room on my CP to spread things out and I would like to have a Tron Stick on it as well.

Renegade
NeXus LAN Director
Cra2hgirl
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2009, 01:58:04 PM »

I love M.A.M.E I have built 2 cabinets so far.  Mine current have installed over 5100 games on it, plus a Video Juke Box as well.  I run the MAMEWah front end.

Emu's running currently are

MAME
Daphne
Zinc
Custom PC game memu launcher
Custom Video Juke Box with around 300 video's

Here are a couple pics of my current unit.

I've seen this one and it's pretty cool.  However, I had no idea that you built it -- even cooler!
Infamousd
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2009, 02:51:39 PM »

I worked in the video arcade business for about 10 years and I must say that is a very nice conversion!

BTW anyone interested in making one of these you can buy old arcade machines, gut them, and make your own conversion. Just requires some elbow grease and time. Smiley

Awesome work Renegade!
z0id
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2009, 04:24:41 PM »

I've bought an authenticate rare battle toads machine that works, so what I'm going to do is go back to the guy and buy his street fighter 1 cabinet and if it doesn't work I'm going to gut it, sell the card and turn it into an emulator.
Renegade
NeXus LAN Director

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2009, 08:17:37 PM »

I would HIGHLY recommend you look for a cabinet that is like a 4 player or has a LARGE control panel on it so that you can toss the one on it, cut a new panel and design you own panel with 2 sticks, track, spinner, and more.   

I see at a min that a mame cab needs 2 sticks with 6 buttons, 1 trackball, 1 spinner, player 1, player 2, credit 1, credit 2, and maybe a pause button.   I put in a hidden pause button just under the control panel that is the same color as the cabinet.

Renegade
NeXus LAN Director
Infamousd
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2009, 01:47:10 PM »

wow man I'm seriously jonesin' for one of these cabinets!

I think I will have to build my own custom one though. Maybe add in a widescreen LCD if Mame will work on it. The beauty of these is that the computer side can be very minimalistic in configuration. Smiley

It would be nice to check out your handiwork at the next Nexus, any chance in that?
Renegade
NeXus LAN Director

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2009, 06:00:49 PM »

My cabinet is bulky and heavy.  I would take a truck with a ramp, or a lift to move it arounds safely.   As well as a good 2 wheeler but I have one of those.    Its actually easier to move my pinball units around then it is my MAME.    My Golden Tee is just as hard to move around.  Those arcade cabinets are heavy and ackward to move around.

Renegade
NeXus LAN Director
Infamousd
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2009, 07:01:46 PM »

My cabinet is bulky and heavy.  I would take a truck with a ramp, or a lift to move it arounds safely.   As well as a good 2 wheeler but I have one of those.    Its actually easier to move my pinball units around then it is my MAME.    My Golden Tee is just as hard to move around.  Those arcade cabinets are heavy and ackward to move around.

I worked in the video arcade business for about 10 years...

Believe me I KNOW how hard it is to move those machines! I used to move 1 piece slate coin op 10 foot pool tables!  OUCH! (not by myself of course )

Wish I could help ya, but I haven't got the resources either without renting a u-haul. Sad

Still I would love to see your handy work up close, and I figure it doesn't hurt to ask Tongue

Now if only I had room for some arcade equipment of my own...
Rock8104
l33t

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2009, 01:01:32 PM »

I have a Truck That I could get it into a strap it down but im not sure if we could lift it. We would need a few guys there.
Renegade
NeXus LAN Director

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2010, 06:36:29 PM »

Nah I am not taking it apart etc, its made from an original Arcade unit and those are built heavy and sturdy.   It has wheels on the back to tip an roll it around but I am not going to transport it on its side etc and trying to pull it up into a pickup would take 3-4 people unless you had a ramp etc.

Renegade
NeXus LAN Director
Infamousd
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2010, 05:45:27 PM »

Nah I am not taking it apart etc, its made from an original Arcade unit and those are built heavy and sturdy.   It has wheels on the back to tip an roll it around but I am not going to transport it on its side etc and trying to pull it up into a pickup would take 3-4 people unless you had a ramp etc.

dude I used to work as a vending/ video game repair guy and you can totally move those cabinets with just 2 people an a 2 wheeler. Hell used to move them things by myself alot of times.

Now pinball machines/jukes/pool tables that's another story...

However I do not blame you in the least bit for not wanting to move one of those buggers, especially if it involves stairs.  Wink
Renegade
NeXus LAN Director

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2010, 07:31:26 PM »

Pins are easier to move then this unit is eheh.  Yeah I can put it on a dolly but It just a pain.  My pin balls are so easy with Pinball skates.  Put the skates on roll it to the truck, lower the head, take off legs slide it in.  I move pins around by by self all the time, but this arcade is a tad harder to contol on a dolly.

Course its up for sale now so will have to move it some time soon.

Renegade
NeXus LAN Director
gfx
Pages: [1] Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx gfx