Ohio's Largest PC Gaming Community & LAN Party

gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

NeXus LAN 24 was fantastic!!!  We will miss seeing everyone, but hope to see some of you at other LAN's down the line.   Thank you everyone for years of support and fun!!!!

gfx gfx
gfx
11324 Posts in 2476 Topics by 414 Members - Latest Member: Hanlin May 04, 2024, 12:21:02 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
      « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: PC Failure, Help!  (Read 35864 times)
Renegade
NeXus LAN Director

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2013, 10:12:12 PM »

Well get it working best as you can and bring it to the LAN I am sure plenty would be willing to lend a hand / take a look.    Also you tried it with 1 stick of ram, did you also try taking that 1 stick out an putting in a dif one to make sure the 1 you used is not the issue?

Renegade
NeXus LAN Director
shocka
« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2013, 10:23:47 PM »

Yeah, I have two 8gb sticks, I swapped them.  I'm going to put most of the components into the other rig and see if it does what this one is doing.
shocka
« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2013, 03:29:29 PM »

Well I tried using the other rig but it restarts after a few seconds and the monitor gets no signal.  I tried 2 different video cards and 2 different sets of ram and I get the same thing on both.  This is the rig that has the msi 1366 board that I bought from sideout. 
Renegade
NeXus LAN Director

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2013, 04:30:50 PM »

Wow your having some bad luck or something.    That 1366 I think requires 3 memory modules to work right if I am not mistaken so look into that.    Make sure you have the power hooked up right and didn't forget to hook up the 4 pin power cable etc.

Try an get it running with just board, processor, ram, and video card.  Also make sure that if the video card needs power you hooked that up as well.

Renegade
NeXus LAN Director
Sideout
NeXus LAN Director

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2013, 04:45:01 PM »

Yea if you bring it to the LAN we can get it figured out. You have to have tri-channel Ram for the 1366 board for sure.
shocka
« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2013, 04:55:45 PM »

I do have tri channel ram but I think one of them is dead but I will try the 3rd one anyways.  Yeah, I have pretty awful luck..  I didn't even get to go to LANOC either because I was sick.
evildoer
Sniper

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2013, 05:16:40 PM »

How far is your system getting before it restarts?  Is it getting past POST?  Are you getting Beep Codes?  (do you have a PC Speaker hooked up? If it's not getting past POST?)

Pull your board out of your case and run it breadboarded (on top of your mobo box).

It's very uncommon, but sometimes cases can cause shorts. I did not read anything about a new case and are still having weird issues.  If it's a case where you have to install the standoffs and you have one in the wrong location it's more common.  Less common is contact where there shouldn't be, but it does happen.

Power and Shorting issues always tend to give the weirdest errors.

twodavez
« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2013, 05:46:35 PM »

Unrelated, but not 100% off topic: I was at IU LAN and the guys behind me were swapping out something on a PC that wasn't working right. They kept having a short when they'd plug it in and hit the power button. I was watching them a little because i was curious and i noticed a spark on the back of the case when they'd fire it up.
Turns out, one of the 4 pin plugs (the ones used for Fans...) had a piece of the case stuck in it, just randomly on how it was positioned and it was causing the short. They checked and checked the motherboard for a while before i saw that, so when i mentioned that they were getting a spark from that connector, they moved it and it worked just fine,
I agree electrical grounding issues are never fun, but oh soo important to get figured out.
shocka
« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2013, 07:04:58 PM »

I'm not sure if I'm reaching the post screen or not, my monitor gets no signal before the pc restarts.  I plugged the speaker in and I'm getting no beeps whatsoever.  I also tried using the 3rd stick of my tri-channel ram and still a no go even when I switch dimm slots, I think the 3rd stick is dead though.  I suppose I will try the breadboard method now.  Thanks for the help guys. Smiley
evildoer
Sniper

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2013, 07:25:44 PM »

You're doing PC Speaker right?  Not actual speakers.

shocka
« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2013, 07:33:12 PM »

Yeah, I'm using the pc speaker and as long as this picture is where the speaker should be, it should be working properly because I know it works fine in my other rig.  This picture is from the MSI manual.

Renegade
NeXus LAN Director

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 13, 2013, 07:54:29 PM »

Try forcing it to beep,  EG no video card, no ram.   If you can not get it to beep at all usually its a board issue.   Also reseat the processor for good measure.

Renegade
NeXus LAN Director
shocka
« Reply #42 on: May 13, 2013, 08:13:39 PM »

Yeah, I tried without the graphics card and ram in it, nothing.  Even if the cpu isn't seated correctly would that prevent the beeps, if not is it necessary to reseat it?  I also tried to breadboard it and it still restarts after a couple of seconds.
Renegade
NeXus LAN Director

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 13, 2013, 09:00:03 PM »

Reseat the CPU, also go online an make sure that board thats the processor your putting into it.    Also take out the power unplug from wall, take out the cmos battery wait 5 min put back together an try it.

Renegade
NeXus LAN Director
Action
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 13, 2013, 09:12:14 PM »

If your getting no post beeps it does sound like a dead board.  Though I have never tried one without a CPU so not sure if it would beep or not without or bad cpu.

[TC] Action
Website Administrator - NeXus LAN
XBox Live: ActionRZ
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx gfx