Ohio's Largest PC Gaming Community & LAN Party

gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

NeXus LAN 24 was fantastic!!!  We will miss seeing everyone, but hope to see some of you at other LAN's down the line.   Thank you everyone for years of support and fun!!!!

gfx gfx
gfx
11324 Posts in 2476 Topics by 414 Members - Latest Member: Hanlin May 05, 2024, 07:50:14 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
      « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Digital hoarding  (Read 11483 times)
330T
« on: April 26, 2010, 03:38:38 PM »

Not sure if any of you have seen the show hoarding Buried Alive or American Pickers, but its effing spooky what some of these people live like.  So i was sitting around watching this show with a friend of mine and I was joking about how much useless crap these people cling on to and dont let it go.

It was all fun and games untill my dear friend pointed out that I'm a digital hoarding.  She pointed out that i have over 700 DVD/Blu-Rays stored on my server, Almost 3,000 other video files, 5,000 MP3s, and that I sent all my childhood pictures out to get scanned and cataloged and I now save all of those on my system as well..

So suddenly i got to thinking, OMG i'm a digital hoarder.  I'm no different than those people holding on to scraps of paper, used egg cartons.  Well no different mentally I cant make myself delete a movie, picture, or even an old PC game in the remote chance I may at sometime want to load up a NES emulator and play one of my 1,400 ROMS...

Am i alone in this or are some of you digital horders too?
Plague
Sniper

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 06:16:14 PM »

I have 2 Tb of TV, Movies, pictures, games, app & etc. so I guess I am with you.  Smiley
Cra2hgirl
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010, 06:16:59 PM »

At least Digital Hording is more earth friendly and doesn't take up rooms in your house. Smiley
Infamousd
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 12:37:24 PM »

yeah I'm closing in on 6 TB of digital crap myself, and it isn't necessarily earth friendly when you consider how much electricity is used in running the server/computer you have that stuff stored on.  Cheesy
330T
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2010, 02:45:31 PM »

yeah I'm closing in on 6 TB of digital crap myself, and it isn't necessarily earth friendly when you consider how much electricity is used in running the server/computer you have that stuff stored on.  Cheesy

wow the news groups have been treating you well....  Agree this not the most earth friendly, but I do what i can to get my wattage as low as i can.  Atom Processor, WD green drives, spin down drives after 15 min of idle... my home server uses about 45w at idle, and 320w when all drives are w/r
Cyphis
NeXus LAN Staff

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2010, 02:21:50 PM »

Just a little nitpick here, but "hording" is spelled 'hoarding'.

Thanks.   Roll Eyes

Cyphis

~ If I find in myself desires which nothing in this world can satisfy, the only logical explanation is that I was made for another world.      - C.S. Lewis ~
330T
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2010, 01:01:04 PM »

Just a little nitpick here, but "hording" is spelled 'hoarding'.

Thanks.   Roll Eyes

thx fixed.. spelling was never my forte, guess thats why i went to engineering school
spyware89
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2010, 09:13:17 AM »

My name is spyware... and i am an addict. To digital/technology hoarding. I have gotten better about deleting files. I beat a single player game that I didn't like too much, I delete the iso, still have almost 1 TB of movies, and over 10 gb of music, and i don't listen to music at all... there is only about 700 mb of music on my ipod and that is the only music I listen to.
Over spring break though when I was at my parents house from college, I found a drawer in my old room FILLED with 5.25" floppy drives and at least 300 5.25" floppy discs... I'm 20, I have never even used a 5.25" floppy drive. I can count the times I remember having to use a 3.25 floppy on my hands. Load raid drivers in XP, get some old dos games to CD... I have NOOO clue where I got all those drives... or why I kept them. Also found about 30 Floppy drive ribbon cables, I have never even put a floppy drive in one of my computers. Found a few tape drives too, minus tapes, and a stack of ZIP discs and a drive with a parallel port... again no clue where they crawled from.
Renegade
NeXus LAN Director

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2010, 02:03:57 PM »

I try to delete but I have like close to 30 gig of music, 80 gig of music video's (that grows daily), Over 1tb filled on the file server.   I did finnially junk all my floppy's while back but I still have games that were for old Pentium systems on CD still and more.    Heck I do still have floppy's.  I got Amiga Dos 3.1, and a copy of MS Dos 6 on floppy still lol.  Actually I got 5 1/4 crap still forgot about the c-64 system crated up in the garage.

Renegade
NeXus LAN Director
Action
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2010, 12:32:44 AM »

I am not really a digital hoarder other than music but then again I have always been a music fan.  But, I have to admit I am a hardware hoarder.  I have way to many older computers and such.  Some I will never get rid of for sentimental reasons but I have no excuse for all the old first pentium systems... lol

[TC] Action
Website Administrator - NeXus LAN
XBox Live: ActionRZ
gfx
Pages: [1] Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx gfx