Ohio's Largest PC Gaming Community & LAN Party

gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

NeXus LAN 24 was fantastic!!!  We will miss seeing everyone, but hope to see some of you at other LAN's down the line.   Thank you everyone for years of support and fun!!!!

gfx gfx
gfx
11324 Posts in 2476 Topics by 414 Members - Latest Member: Hanlin April 28, 2024, 09:12:57 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
      « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Smoking at Mound Street Academies  (Read 12649 times)
Renegade
NeXus LAN Director

View Profile
« on: June 05, 2008, 08:17:30 PM »

Hey all this goes with out saying but I wanted to make sure people know that in the state of Ohio School zones are Alcohol, Drug and Smoke free with in 1000 feet of the schools / facilities.    So there is no smoking on school grounds.   If this is a major issue for you I am sorry but its a law.

Renegade
NeXus LAN Director
Infamousd
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2008, 03:18:20 PM »

guess we should leave the bongs at home eh?   Tongue
Crow47
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2008, 03:49:42 PM »

Aw, shucks! I've always loved playing COD4 whilst hammered!  Grin
Jpwinkis
Sniper

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2008, 06:42:59 PM »

All our venues Ive been to have kept us from playing Drunken DDR as well. I think that will have to be a house LAN game
Delta
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2008, 07:26:48 PM »

i love playing when hammered! lol
Heffernan
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2008, 11:18:36 PM »

OMG everyone is going to get busted for sure, rene will own ur butts.
Chow-Yun-Fat
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2008, 03:53:30 PM »

in the state of Ohio School zones are Alcohol, Drug and Smoke free with in 1000 feet of the schools / facilities.

Are you sure this is a law? I've been searching through the Ohio Revised Code and can find nothing about the 1,000 feet designation. I really couldn't see how this could be a current law given that in United States vs. Lopez it was deemed unconstitutional to limit purchase/ownership/possession of a legal item or product on non-school owned property that happens to be located adjacent to schools. Granted the situation was in defiance of a federal law but it would be obvious precedent against any state-level legislation.
Renegade
NeXus LAN Director

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2008, 07:06:34 PM »

If it is or is not does not matter as this is the rule of the facility so there is no debating it.  There is no smoking on or around school property eg the parking lots etc.

I would also check Dayton Laws as this could and probably is a local law but I dont know.

Renegade
NeXus LAN Director
Rune
Camper

Bringer of Brightslap

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2008, 06:51:13 PM »

no, its a ohio law. I'll look closer into the ORC, and edit in the wording later.

EDIT--- OK, its not as much as it being banned in schools as it is being banned in public places.

Ohio Revised Code 3794.02

(A) No proprietor of a public place or place of employment, except as permitted in section 3794.03 of this chapter, shall permit smoking in the public place or place of employment or in the areas directly or indirectly under the control of the proprietor immediately adjacent to locations of ingress or egress to the public place or place of employment.

(B) A proprietor of a public place or place of employment shall ensure that tobacco smoke does not enter any area in which smoking is prohibited under this chapter through entrances, windows, ventilation systems, or other means.

(C) No person or employer shall discharge, refuse to hire, or in any manner retaliate against an individual for exercising any right, including reporting a violation, or performing any obligation under this chapter.

(D) No person shall refuse to immediately discontinue smoking in a public place, place of employment, or establishment, facility or outdoor area declared nonsmoking under section 3794.05 of this chapter when requested to do so by the proprietor or any employee of an employer of the public place, place of employment or establishment, facility or outdoor area.

(E) Lack of intent to violate a provision of this chapter shall not be a defense to a violation.

Addendum to 3794.02 -- 3794.06

(A) “No Smoking” signs or the international “No Smoking” symbol (consisting of a pictorial representation of a burning cigarette enclosed in a red circle with a red bar across it) shall be conspicuously posted in every public place and place of employment where smoking is prohibited by this chapter, including at each entrance to the public place or place of employment. Signs shall be of sufficient size to be clearly legible to a person of normal vision throughout the areas they are intended to mark. All signs shall contain a telephone number for reporting violations. ...

I believe this covers most of what was asked. as for the 1000 foot delegation, this is not mentioned, but instead implied that it cannot be in the property of a public gathering locale. simply put, One cannot smoke in the school, but can smoke in, say, the parking lot of said school, or off-grounds (outside the gate of Mound Street, for instance).

EDIT2-- Source --Quotes taken from http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/3794

hope this helps.

I'm back. Kinda. Maybe. Been sleep since Nexus LAN 3.
gfx
Pages: [1] Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx gfx