Ohio's Largest PC Gaming Community & LAN Party

gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

NeXus LAN 24 was fantastic!!!  We will miss seeing everyone, but hope to see some of you at other LAN's down the line.   Thank you everyone for years of support and fun!!!!

gfx gfx
gfx
11324 Posts in 2476 Topics by 414 Members - Latest Member: Hanlin April 26, 2024, 08:33:01 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
      « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: NeXus LAN VIII Tournaments  (Read 26168 times)
Action
Administrator

View Profile
« on: September 01, 2010, 11:28:41 PM »

At this time, we are considering the following PC Tournaments:

1) Star Craft 2
2) Call of Duty 4
3) UT2004 CTF Instigib

Feel free to use this thread if you have any ideas for a tournament or if you would like to host an unofficial tournament.

[TC] Action
Website Administrator - NeXus LAN
XBox Live: ActionRZ
virt
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 05:31:18 AM »

Starcraft 2 please Smiley
Action
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2010, 06:51:07 AM »

I think that is a given Smiley  Denide has offered to run it as well.

Also just wanted to mention that we also are going to try to at least do an unofficial Bad Company 2 match.  Unfortuantly it is online only so we can only say we are gonna give it a shot.  Even though we will have 20mbit internet connection if too many people are downloading, etc the latency might be just a bit tough... we will have to just see.

[TC] Action
Dreyvas
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2010, 04:18:08 PM »

I think that is a given Smiley  Denide has offered to run it as well.

Also just wanted to mention that we also are going to try to at least do an unofficial Bad Company 2 match.  Unfortuantly it is online only so we can only say we are gonna give it a shot.  Even though we will have 20mbit internet connection if too many people are downloading, etc the latency might be just a bit tough... we will have to just see.

Wouldn't SC2 basically be the same thing since it's through battle.net?
Renegade
NeXus LAN Director

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2010, 04:36:44 PM »

SC2 is peer to peer you just need to be able to access battle.net to start the match.   So the over head is minor compared to the server being out on the internet and all clients going out to that server for BF BC2.   

Renegade
NeXus LAN Director
Plague
Sniper

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2010, 07:58:43 PM »

Well, I hope something else because Starcraft 2 is played...

I don't own it, and don't plan to anytime soon.

I would vote for anything else... TF2, CODs, Starcraft (Original), L4d or L4d2, Alien Swarm (its free), League of Legends (DOTA), etc.
Renegade
NeXus LAN Director

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2010, 08:09:18 PM »

SC2 is only 1 of three games being planned at this time.   You will also have a COD 4, and a UT 2k4 as well.

Renegade
NeXus LAN Director
Cra2hgirl
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2010, 08:40:02 PM »

Well, I hope something else because Starcraft 2 is played...

I don't own it, and don't plan to anytime soon.

I would vote for anything else... TF2, CODs, Starcraft (Original), L4d or L4d2, Alien Swarm (its free), League of Legends (DOTA), etc.

We can also play some of those games when we don't have a tournament going on.  I have SC2 but I've only played it once, so doubt I will play in the tourney.
shocka
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2010, 09:16:09 PM »

Modern Warfare 2!!!!!! But COD 4 if no one else wants to do MW2 even tho its not bad on LAN Smiley
Renegade
NeXus LAN Director

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2010, 10:37:16 PM »

Problem with MW2 is alot that come to the lan didnt buy it due to activisions horrible handling it.    COD 4 everyone has it.    Alot more have BF BC2 but unsure how well it will play over the connection.   

With a LAN that is the hardest thing to count on with a tournament is a game that requires internet.   If the line goes down, or lag etc player will get upset etc.   

With an RTS its alot earier like with SC2.

I think an unofficial BF2 or MW2 would be cool this time around just to test out how they play from this connection etc. 

The only other issue with both BC2 and MW2 is getting everyone in the right server etc.  You pretty much have to have someone be the master inviter, add everyone playing to his friends list etc which can be time consuming and a pain in the ass.   

With BC2 you can atleast tell people to join X server but unless you own that server you run the risk of someone joining thats not part of the tournament.  I am unsure on mw2 but last I saw/heard you hav e to have people in friends lists to find them you cant just say join server X and everyone joins.

Renegade
NeXus LAN Director
shocka
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2010, 02:27:10 AM »

No No, In MW2 anyone can invite someone else from their list to the private game as long as they are in the game, doesn't have to be the host to do it also if you have someone on your list playing in that game you can just right click their name and click join and get right in.  I don't think MW2 needs an internet connection to play on LAN but then again I may be wrong about that and its easy to set a pass in a private server.  MW2 on the PC is pretty much a port of the 360 works pretty much the same.  I think the overall game play is better in MW2 than COD4 just some perks are pretty wack but those are easy to shut off in the settings so that everyone plays evenly.

MW2 settings:

Specific Game Type Rules:
Multi-bomb: This must be off
Bomb Plant Time: 5 seconds
Bomb Defuse Time: 7.5 seconds
Bomb Timer: 60 Seconds
Round Length: 2.5 Minutes
Side Change: Every 4 Rounds
Score Limit: Unlimited (First to 13 Rounds wins the current map)

Player Options:
Number of Lives: 1
Respawn Delay: None
Max Health: None
Health Regeneration: Normal
Killcam: Disabled

Team Options:
Spectating: Team Only
Wave Spawn Delay: None
Force Respawn: Enabled
Friendly Fire: Enabled

Gameplay Options:
Headshots Only: Disabled
Perks: Disabled
Killstreak Rewards: Disabled
HardCore Mode: Disabled
3rd Person: Disabled

Primary Weapon Restrictions:
Riot Shields: None
Sniper Rifle: 1 Per Team (Intervention Only)

Weapon Attachments:
203/Grenade Launcher: Off
HeartBeat Sensor: Off
Akimbo: Off
Thermal: Off
Rapid Fire: On
Silencer: On
Red Dot: On
Grip: On
ACOG: On
FMJ: On
Shotgun: off
Holographic Sight: On
Extended Mags: On

Equipment:
Frag: On (FRAG GRENADES ONLY)
Semtex: Off
Throwing Knife: On
Tactical Insertion: Off
Blast Shield: Off
Claymore: Off
C4: Off

Secondary Weapons:
Machine Pistols: None
Shotguns: None
Handguns: Only secondary weapons allowed (Tactical Knife attachment is not allowed)
Launchers: None

Special Grenades:
Stun Nades: Off
Flash Nades: On
Smoke Nades: On

Death Streaks:
Copycat: On
Painkiller: Off
Martydom: Off
Last Stand: Off

Class Limits and Weapons Setup:
**Please Read**

Unlimited Assaults
2 SMGS allowed only
1 Sniper class *(Intervention Only)*
*Picking a dropped weapon does not count towards this rule.

**NO RIOT SHIELDS**

The above is class number limitations Per Team.

Banned Weapons & Attachments:
**Please Read**

**LIGHT AND MOUNTED MACHINE GUNS ARE ILLEGAL**
**AKIMBO IS BANNED**
**ALL SHOTGUNS ARE BANNED**
**THERMALS ARE BANNED**
**MACHINE PISTOLS ARE **
**SEMTEX ARE BANNED**
**TACTICAL KNIFE BANNED**

(MW2TOURNAMENTS RULES)

We could just change these around as needed but that's a good place to start Wink

cheers Cheesy
Renegade
NeXus LAN Director

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2010, 03:35:24 AM »

mw2 is inet only no lan only play.   And that was my point at a lan most the people dont play with each other all the time so you will have to get everyones screen name add it so they can be added to the private server etc.   This can be a logistic nightmare at a large lan trying to get them on friends lists so you can add them to the match etc.  The larger the lan the harder it is to get all those people organized an on lists etc.  Vs the normal just calling out team 1 vs team 2 in server 1, team 3 vs team 4 in server 2 etc.

Activision really screwed the pooch when they did no lan play and no server browers like normal pc FPS's 

Renegade
NeXus LAN Director
shocka
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2010, 04:03:07 AM »

Yea true, but black ops will be out soon I'm just hoping the actual gameplay as far as multiplayer goes isn't as bad as WAW was with its horrible reg, zombies was about the best part of that game lol.  Undecided
Action
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2010, 04:33:00 AM »

Yea true, but black ops will be out soon I'm just hoping the actual gameplay as far as multiplayer goes isn't as bad as WAW was with its horrible reg, zombies was about the best part of that game lol.  Undecided
Agreed.  It is getting a lot of hype and in a way that scares me becaused MW2 had a lot of hype and it ended up being such a let down for PC.  But back to topic I am definitely not against an unofficial MW2 tourney ran by attendees.  We just can't do an official one due to the problems mentioned in the thread.  We are going to try some sort of BC2 game though but still will not be official because of potential problems.  More or less something to try out.  We have a 20MB connection at the LAN but with people downloading or hitting the net heavey (especially with people who unfortuantely have viruses), it can get saturated fast.  One LAN we had 90MB connection (wide open fiber) and it even got saturated.

[TC] Action
mohawkmike
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2010, 09:20:35 PM »

Hey guys,

I will be looking foward to the UT2004 CTF Instigib (haven't played UT2K4 in forever) as well as some TF2.

Also if anyone would be interested I am looking at running 1v1 Warsow (www.warsow.net) "for fun" torunament. Warsow is basically a mod of Quake 3 and is !!! FREE !!! to download. I would also like to run a some Prey miltiplayer demo games (FFA or TDM) games. Prey came out in 2006 and was looked over by many due to the fact that you could never die in the single player game, however the multiplayer was a different story, The multiplayer used all the features from the single player game like flipping gravity and the ability to walk on walls which made it very fun. If you are interested you can get the deom here: http://www.3drealms.com/prey/download.html#demo
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx gfx