Ohio's Largest PC Gaming Community & LAN Party

gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

NeXus LAN 24 was fantastic!!!  We will miss seeing everyone, but hope to see some of you at other LAN's down the line.   Thank you everyone for years of support and fun!!!!

gfx gfx
gfx
11324 Posts in 2476 Topics by 414 Members - Latest Member: Hanlin April 29, 2024, 04:52:02 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
      « previous next »
Poll
Question: What brand of CPU do you prefer?
AMD - 3 (27.3%)
Intel - 8 (72.7%)
Total Voters: 5

Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: AMD VS INTEL (Dual-Cores)  (Read 23476 times)
Modious
« on: June 09, 2008, 04:28:51 AM »

What brand of CPU do you prefer, what is your reasoning behind it?
Facts please, dont smash anyone for their preference!

I dont have enough experience with dual-core processors but from what it seems like from the benchmarks and the little experience I have, I think i'd rather fork out the money for an Intel Chip
Preferrably

Intel Core 2 Duo E8200 Wolfdale 2.66GHz 6MB L2 1333MHz  $179.99 (With free 3 day shipping and handling, I might add)
 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115038   

Offers performance and it doesnt break the bank, I advise getting a new heatsink though.
Jpwinkis
Sniper

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2008, 05:09:08 AM »

I can't really vote. My first PC I built was a AMD T-bird, second was a AMD 2100+ (1.7) I believe, next was a AMD 3100+ then when a pin bent I replace that with a 3800+ and I just got my Laptop with my first Intel Core duo.
TinyElvis
l33t

Thank you very much!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2008, 03:14:45 PM »

I noticed a huge improvement when I went AMD to Intel Core2. I had a DualCore Athlon and then went Core2 6750 desktop, before I went and sold it get my new laptop of course. The speeds bewteen the two were unbelievable. I would say that not only a CPU update would be warranted, but also a Graphics card.
Action
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2008, 08:34:22 PM »

Yes, I definitely agree with Tiny... for raw over all performance Intel is the way to go.  Now with that said, if you have a low end graphics card, the CPU will be little difference when gaming.

Order should be graphics card, amount of ram then CPU for gaming.  If you use your PC for other things of course than the CPU would be just as important.

[TC] Action
Website Administrator - NeXus LAN
XBox Live: ActionRZ
Infamousd
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2008, 01:19:07 PM »

well since I work in the wholesale computer parts business I have some inside knowledge about AMD and Intel. I have to deal with the companies quite often.

Intel: Price is higher for a bit of a performance increase (for the most part, but not always)

Warranty service and representation is the big difference. I can have an intel product replaced the next day in advance and shipping paid both ways. I can call an Intel rep directly and have answers to any question within minutes to hours.

AMD : got Intel beat by price.

AMD RMA process is a joke. Their web site can be a pain in the arse at times, and a replacement can take up to a month! We used to have a regular rep, but they cut costs and removed that division of their company.

Frankly I worry about the future of AMD at times as they definately have gone down hill of late (last year or two). I'd hate to see them leave the CPU world as they do their best to keep Intel from a monopoly.
Modious
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2008, 03:18:30 PM »

Hmm, didnt ATI buy them out a year or two ago?
=[TN]= Venus_Wong
NeXus LAN Staff

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2008, 11:21:23 PM »

Other way around Modious. AMD bought ATi. Now it looks to be a bad move for the cpu department. AMD may only survive as a graphics card company. I sure hope they can turn it around and begin to make great cpus again. Can you imagine what you would have to pay if Intel was the only game in town?

=[TN]= Venus_Wong
=[TN]= Venus_Wong
NeXus LAN Staff

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2008, 11:30:39 PM »

I am still using an AMD Athlon XP 3200+ on an nForce 2 chipset with AGP. Can't speak from experience but, for my 2 cents, all the reviews I have read over the past year proves to me AMD is in a world of hurt. Intel chips out perform AMD quite often in the areas that gamers care about.

=[TN]= Venus_Wong
Infamousd
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2008, 01:21:24 PM »

Other way around Modious. AMD bought ATi. N

yeah and let me point out that now AMD and ATI use the same crappy website.  Roll Eyes
virt
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2008, 12:19:49 AM »

Don't count them out, yet.  Intel and nVidia are still trying to catch up to AMD/ATi.  Good read:

http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=547
Modious
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2008, 02:32:55 AM »

What? Even the article admits that AMD is trying to catch up to Intel still. I skimmed through it and it just seems like total speculation.
Crow47
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2008, 02:40:55 AM »

Right now my AMD 3.0ghz is fine, in all honesty.

If I were to build a totally new pc right now, I would choose Intel. However, I'm in no rush to switch to them at this point.
Heffernan
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2008, 04:38:47 PM »

opinion, well im a long time intel user, gone amd.  when i went for my latest system i have purchased, i took 29 days of reading up on intel , amd , and motherboards.   amd and intel both make the best you can get. but i am now all for amd and i find it almost absolutely ludicrous to buy intel anymore. The tiniest best thing about amd is you can save money to get a better graphics card.  oh my goodness i dont want to read up anymore.
virt
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2008, 02:18:50 PM »

What? Even the article admits that AMD is trying to catch up to Intel still. I skimmed through it and it just seems like total speculation.

What I meant by catching up to AMD is that Intel/nVidia are trying to get to the point where ATi/AMD are at due to them having (whats still considered) a major brand in both the CPU and graphics processing departments in hardware.  In processor choices, you either have AMD/Intel- graphics, you have nVidia/ATi (AKA AMD).

At this point, AMD offers better processor market share then anything nVidia has, and offers better graphics processing then what Intel has.  AMD is still struggling, but it's major competitors are hauling ass to try and catch up to where AMD is currently positioned- which the article does mention.  Don't get me wrong, I think AMD is on a down spiral still, but it's too early to fully discredit them, especially with their competitors trying to play catch up.
Modious
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2008, 06:30:15 PM »

What I meant by catching up to AMD is that Intel/nVidia are trying to get to the point where ATi/AMD are at due to them having (whats still considered) a major brand in both the CPU and graphics processing departments in hardware.  In processor choices, you either have AMD/Intel- graphics, you have nVidia/ATi (AKA AMD).

At this point, AMD offers better processor market share then anything nVidia has, and offers better graphics processing then what Intel has.  AMD is still struggling, but it's major competitors are hauling ass to try and catch up to where AMD is currently positioned- which the article does mention.  Don't get me wrong, I think AMD is on a down spiral still, but it's too early to fully discredit them, especially with their competitors trying to play catch up.

We all know Nvidia and Intel wont team up unless one buys out the other, Hopefully Intel > Nvidia. It probably wont happen. Its too hard to tell if the whole "Nehalem" will have a major impact on the CPU and GPU markets.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx gfx