Ohio's Largest PC Gaming Community & LAN Party

gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

NeXus LAN 24 was fantastic!!!  We will miss seeing everyone, but hope to see some of you at other LAN's down the line.   Thank you everyone for years of support and fun!!!!

gfx gfx
gfx
11324 Posts in 2476 Topics by 414 Members - Latest Member: Hanlin April 30, 2024, 07:04:27 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
      « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Asus G73 GSOD fix  (Read 8909 times)
Renegade
NeXus LAN Director

View Profile
« on: October 27, 2010, 06:18:52 PM »

Looks like there has been a fix for about a month but its not on the official site its on the Asusrog.com site.

Anyway its an updated vBios for the G73 laptop line that fixes the grey screen of death, and also lets us use the ATI latest video drivers.

Go here for the fix.

http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?519-G73-GSOD-Vbios-Update

I found it kinda hard to figure out how to get the G73 to boot from USB.   Turns out there is no need to change the boot settings like the guide says.  Just go into Bios (f2) and then go to the last menu in bios an it has a boot option section there you can select what to boot from select the USB drive or if not listed look for something odd like (1100) and it will boot the USB stick.  Run the vflash.bat, reboot, then update to 10.10 drivers.

I updated no issues and the GSOD's that i was getting with 10.10 are gone.   Before I had to go back to the ASUS version of 10.08 to resolve the GSOD's.   So this fix is well worth the hassle of making a bootable USB drive and flashing the vBios.

Renegade
NeXus LAN Director
=[TN]= Venus_Wong
NeXus LAN Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2010, 09:43:15 PM »

Cool, I will have to give it a go. I'll report back later. Was this the reason you called yesterday?

=[TN]= Venus_Wong
Renegade
NeXus LAN Director

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2010, 12:33:47 AM »

yes this was the reason.   I have had it done for a day now.  No GSOD's working great with 10.10 before the vbios 10.10 would GSOD all the time had to go back to 10.08

Renegade
NeXus LAN Director
=[TN]= Venus_Wong
NeXus LAN Staff

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2010, 02:46:10 AM »

I had a heart attack moment with my vBIOS update. The update itself was smooth. No problem with making a bootable USB drive with the HP utility and copying the flash files over. Got into the laptop BIOS and set to boot from USB stick. Flashed the video card and rebooted. Still, everything going well. Uninstalled drivers and used a driver removal tool aptly named Driver Sweeper in Safe Mode. Restart and install the 10.10s I downloaded from AMD. I thought it was odd that after the install of Cat. Control Center I was not prompted to restart. I did anyway.

Once back to the desktop I tried to set the resolution to 1920 x 1080 which I normally use but could only get 1400 x 1050. I clicked on the ATi icon in the systray and it indicated I had a Standard VGA card. Wa?? Check the driver and its Microsoft. Double Wa?? Now I'm thinking that the vBIOS flash did not work properly and I'm getting kinda sick. I jump into the ASUS RoG forum and find some other soul has a similar issue. A reply to his post suggested to remove the driver and Cat. Control Center and reinstall.

I went back to AMDs website and this time I downloaded the catalyst mobility 64-bit utility. Its a downloader and will grab the files your system needs. Ran the installer and like usual I select custom install. This time I noticed that the list of selectable features included, of all things, a DRIVER. The other install package, mobility vista win7 32-64, did not list a driver. Crazy. Once the installer finished I WAS prompted to restart. Got back to the desktop and everything looks good.

Dave, if you don't have it already, I suggest you get the desktop gadget GPU Observer by Orbmu2k. Search for the author's name in gadgets and it will be there. Once running you should notice the GPU temp will be lower than on the other drivers and the reason I guess is the card is underclocking itself when not in heavy 3D usage. The core clock is lowered from stock 700MHz to 405MHz and stock voltage of 1.15 to .95. I ran Battlefield BC2 in window mode to check and sure enough stock clock and voltage settings were showing in the gadget.

So far games run well and no GSODs.

=[TN]= Venus_Wong
=[TN]= Venus_Wong
NeXus LAN Staff

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2010, 12:28:38 AM »

I read through the entire post and came across a link to another website forum with an updated vBIOS that adds OverDrive to CCC.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus-gaming-notebook-forum/515309-how-fix-your-gsod-blues.html#post6667334

I flashed with this updated today and the OverDrive is there but now I'm not so sure I want to tweak the clocks. Roll Eyes

=[TN]= Venus_Wong
gfx
Pages: [1] Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx gfx