Ohio's Largest PC Gaming Community & LAN Party

gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

NeXus LAN 24 was fantastic!!!  We will miss seeing everyone, but hope to see some of you at other LAN's down the line.   Thank you everyone for years of support and fun!!!!

gfx gfx
gfx
11324 Posts in 2476 Topics by 414 Members - Latest Member: Hanlin April 29, 2024, 03:55:31 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
      « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Adventures in troubleshooting BF3 Lag  (Read 8955 times)
cytog64
Camper

View Profile WWW
« on: April 30, 2012, 02:10:58 AM »

I remember thinking, when I built this desktop last year "Tog ol Boy, you are building quite the beast."

Asus ROG Gene III mATX
Intel I7 960
8GB of Crucial Ballistix DDR3 Ram
Diamond ATI 6970 2GB pciE
OCZ Agility 120GB SSD
ThermalTake Toughpower 750W

Naturally, when the latest game in my favorite series, Battlefield, hit the stores, I had it day-one. It played like crap! As an early adopter of most technologies, I accepted the risk and signed it off as bad software and would patiently wait for a patch to make the game playable. Unfortunately, I still have the video lag problems.

This video shows someone having a similar experience:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwPaUT8X9Uo

I have been reading a great many threads, posts, etc...here are some of the common and not so common things I have tried-

1. Set BF3.exe process priority to High or Real Time (task manager right click option)
   a. I didn't even know this existed in Win7, neato, but it didn't fix the issue

2. Define Processor Core Affinity for BF3 from 8 to 7...1 core(Task Manager right click) option)
   a. Holy crap...that is a cool setting...defining core priority and all...didn't work.

3. Turn off Hyper Threading (aka go to 4 physical cores only)
   a. God I love my Asus ROG Gene III, that was a super easy setting to find in the BIOS, but that wasn't the fix either

4. Update your Video drivers
   a. huh, probably should have done that first...Catalyst 12.3 is the latest right...nope 12.4 is...ok installed...not the fix as well

5. Lower your graphic settings.
   a. already turned off motion blur and vsync...these are usually the first to go with these games
   b. I hate doing this, but I feel like I am running out of options...1440x900...nope...1366x768...sorry...1024x768 (gettign desparate) no way jose...640x480 (AHHHHH MY EYES)...still laggin!

6. Try random Console commands...
   a. hmmmmmm tilde key...
      These are kinda neat
      render.drawfps 1
      render.perfoverlayvisible 1
      RenderDevice.ForceRenderAheadLimit 1 (This setting controls the number of frames prepared by the CPU before being processed by the GPU)
      RenderDevice.TrippleBufferingEnable 0
   b. interesting thread = http://forums.electronicarts.co.uk/battlefield-3-pc/1445046-bf3-performance-graph-pure-goodness.html

My next troubleshooting step...
buying a 680GTX....because I can...and I wanted a bad excuse to do so : )

In 15 days I won't be playing BF3 anyways. It is time for Diablo 3.

Action
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 07:15:40 AM »

If it helps I have a 580GTX and BF3 plays quite we'll with it at 1920x1080 on high settings.  So a 680GTX should be even better.

[TC] Action
Website Administrator - NeXus LAN
XBox Live: ActionRZ
Renegade
NeXus LAN Director

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 07:18:21 PM »

Assume you tried this but does it lag at lan parties eg on another connection?  The PC should not be causing that.    Router, connection issue?

Renegade
NeXus LAN Director
cytog64
Camper

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 03:24:31 AM »

One of my solutions fixed the problem...not sure which one, but I am all set with 2 nice days of lag free play.

gfx
Pages: [1] Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx gfx