Ohio's Largest PC Gaming Community & LAN Party

gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

NeXus LAN 24 was fantastic!!!  We will miss seeing everyone, but hope to see some of you at other LAN's down the line.   Thank you everyone for years of support and fun!!!!

gfx gfx
gfx
11324 Posts in 2476 Topics by 414 Members - Latest Member: Hanlin April 30, 2024, 02:37:05 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
      « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: AMD 7950  (Read 9888 times)
spyware89
« on: February 20, 2013, 01:04:11 PM »

Any one here using a 7950 or 2? Specifically for BF3, wondering if any one here thinks the performance is worth the price tag.
Ogre
Sniper

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 03:13:39 PM »

In terms of performance, the 7950 is comparable to Nividia's GTX 670. The 670 will run BF3 just fine, so I would imagine the 7950 should do the job and the 7950 is about a $100 cheaper than the 670. Hope that helps.
spyware89
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 04:46:26 PM »

Yeah, I saw some of the benchmarks scores for the 7950, it seemed rather impressive compared to the more expensive nvidia cards. But a lot of my friends have the 6xx series nvidia cards and swear by them, I haven't met any one that actually has a 7950 yet.
Renegade
NeXus LAN Director

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 05:07:53 PM »

One disadvantage to ATI is no Physx.    I know only a have full use it but for instance the difference in Borderlands 2 is HUGE.   I am all Nvidia one I love the cards and much better driver updates, and add in Physx and its all Nvidia for me.

Renegade
NeXus LAN Director
Action
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 05:23:13 PM »

One disadvantage to ATI is no Physx.    I know only a have full use it but for instance the difference in Borderlands 2 is HUGE.   I am all Nvidia one I love the cards and much better driver updates, and add in Physx and its all Nvidia for me.

Yeah same here.  Plus I've had bad experiences with ATI cards in the past.  ATI does or at least used to have much better 2D (Video, etc) but things might have changed by now.

[TC] Action
Website Administrator - NeXus LAN
XBox Live: ActionRZ
spyware89
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2013, 07:52:36 PM »

I ended up getting a 7950 to upgrade from my 6870, the free Crysis 3 and Bioshock Inf was a good incentive. The lack of physx isn't noticeable on Borderlands 2, but this card is kinda overkill for that game, so it can afford to be a little inefficient. The phsyx will probably be noticeable on upcoming games that support it though. It does have some static on the audio over DisplayPort, which seems to be a common problem for the 7 series Radeon HD cards for some reason, so I had to find a 3.5mm audio cable. The performance is pretty awesome though, it outscored the NVIDIA 660ti that my friend got last week by a fair margin on a Crysis 3 benchmark.
Renegade
NeXus LAN Director

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2013, 01:49:54 AM »

Lask of Physx is very noticable to me when playing side by side with an nvida, and an AMD.   Grats on card, and yeah those games are a good incentive.

Renegade
NeXus LAN Director
spyware89
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2013, 02:18:50 AM »

I really wish Nvidia had kept making standalone Physx cards after they bought Ageia, they weren't all that expensive if I remember right, like 60$.
Cyphis
NeXus LAN Staff

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2013, 09:06:53 PM »

I have to agree with Renegade and Action.  I prefer NVidia as well.  The PhysX differences are pretty cool. 

Cyphis

~ If I find in myself desires which nothing in this world can satisfy, the only logical explanation is that I was made for another world.      - C.S. Lewis ~
gfx
Pages: [1] Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx gfx