Ohio's Largest PC Gaming Community & LAN Party

gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

NeXus LAN 24 was fantastic!!!  We will miss seeing everyone, but hope to see some of you at other LAN's down the line.   Thank you everyone for years of support and fun!!!!

gfx gfx
gfx
11324 Posts in 2476 Topics by 414 Members - Latest Member: Hanlin April 26, 2024, 06:19:00 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
      « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: PC Failure, Help!  (Read 35719 times)
shocka
« on: April 12, 2013, 10:20:50 PM »

Okay so I've narrowed it down to what I believe is creating the issue and was wondering if you guys had any possible solutions.

When I plug it in, the power supply will not turn on and when it's unplugged, everything seems to be running fine.

If it is the mobo, would anyone have a spare 1366 socket mobo they would be willing to give or sell?  I don't have much at all to spend right now so I'm hoping it will just be a fix that I can do myself.  Thanks guys!
Ogre
Sniper

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2013, 12:55:44 AM »

Details on your entire build would help, and what do you mean specifically by "when it's plugged in the PSU doesn't work but unplugged it works fine"? Does that mean with one of the cables pulled it works fine or using a different PSU it works?
shocka
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2013, 02:57:07 AM »

Sorry about that, with the cable pulled from the spot highlighted in the picture everything powers up and seems to run fine.  While it's plugged into that spot the power supply won't even power up.  I tried troubleshooting by using one stick of ram at a time, the paper clip test on the psu, and I plugged each power cable in individually to each component.  Thanks for the help.

Specs:

CPU- i7-920
Motherboard- Asrock X58 Deluxe
GPU- Galaxy GTX 670
RAM- Gskill Sniper 16gb (8gb x2)
PSU- Rosewill 1000w modular
Boot Hardrive- OCZ Agility 2 60gb
Case- HAF 932
Ogre
Sniper

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2013, 07:57:56 PM »

Most likely a short in the mobo with the four pin CPU power. Check if there is a physical issue with the plug. If there isnt a visible issue i.e. ; a bent contact, then you will probably have to replace. I wouldn't recommend running the hardware you have without the four pin.
Renegade
NeXus LAN Director

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2013, 06:07:47 AM »

Shocka, are you local to Huber Heights area?   And if so bring the unit into P3 Computers today for the Mini LAN and will take a look at it.    Or bring it in during the week and I will take a look when time.

Renegade
NeXus LAN Director
shocka
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2013, 01:12:28 AM »

So I ended up getting a new mobo, cpu, power supply,  and heatsink. Everything was running fine for about 4 days and out of nowhere the pc shut down again and once again won't start up... I tried disconnecting everything and went by process of elimination and nothing worked. I decided to do the paper clip test on the psu and it works fine. Can my wall outlet be creating a short in the motherboard? It's connected to a surge protector, also I did not oc the cpu at all and the temps were at 30°. Thanks!
Ogre
Sniper

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2013, 05:35:36 PM »

It's not impossible that the outlet is an issue or possibly the surge protector, anything beyond that would involve paying for someone to look at it. Good luck figuring it out though.
Action
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2013, 08:35:24 PM »

It's not impossible that the outlet is an issue or possibly the surge protector, anything beyond that would involve paying for someone to look at it. Good luck figuring it out though.
Are you using a UPC?  If not, definitely invest in one as it does sound like you might be having brown outs which a surge protector will not protect you from as it is the opposite of a surge.   A UPC will protect you from that and will let you know when it is occuring since the battery will then take over until the brown out has staballized. Brown outs are really bad on power supplies and if the power supply is not of high quality can destroy a MB.

[TC] Action
Website Administrator - NeXus LAN
XBox Live: ActionRZ
shocka
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2013, 10:14:57 PM »

How many watts would the UPS need to be?  My PC has a 750 in it.
Action
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2013, 09:27:33 PM »

How many watts would the UPS need to be?  My PC has a 750 in it.
Get the largest you can afford is my recommendation.  But the boxes will say how much it can hold and for how long.  I would get one that will last at least 30 minutes based on your setup during a power loss.  This gives you plenty of time to finish what you are doing and safely shutdown your machine.

[TC] Action
Website Administrator - NeXus LAN
XBox Live: ActionRZ
shocka
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2013, 12:41:57 AM »

Alright thanks!  Hopefully I have everything ready to go for the LAN. Sad
shocka
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2013, 10:50:21 PM »

Well I won't be able to attend the LAN, when I was taking my parts out to return the motherboard I accidentally bent a couple of CPU pins and so it voided my boards warranty...  Can I sell my seat to someone else or how does this work?  Thanks.
Renegade
NeXus LAN Director

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2013, 11:26:46 PM »

You can post your seat for sale in the thread below.   Once you sell it notify me who you sold it to so I can reg them an put them in your seat.

Of course the other option would be also to ask if anyone has a spare PC they can bring an you just bring monitor, keyboard, mouse cables etc.

What socket MB is it?   Also possible someone has something laying around cheap that would work as well.

Your call.

http://www.nexuslan.org/forums/index.php?topic=1816.0

Renegade
NeXus LAN Director
Sideout
NeXus LAN Director

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2013, 12:33:22 AM »

i think i have an x58 motherboard laying around. It is an MSI but you are welcome to try it and see if it works for you.
shocka
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2013, 01:52:43 AM »

The board is an 1155, right before I bought all of my new components I was on a 1366 board, sucks having your mobo go out then you buy a new one and then it goes out 4 days later and then accidentally void the warranty. :x  I appreciate it sideout where are you located and how much would you want for the board? 
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx gfx