Ohio's Largest PC Gaming Community & LAN Party

gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

NeXus LAN 24 was fantastic!!!  We will miss seeing everyone, but hope to see some of you at other LAN's down the line.   Thank you everyone for years of support and fun!!!!

gfx gfx
gfx
11324 Posts in 2476 Topics by 414 Members - Latest Member: Hanlin April 29, 2024, 09:23:56 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
      « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: wanted - rackmount cases  (Read 7960 times)
spyware89
« on: April 29, 2013, 04:09:03 PM »

Any of you other nerds got any tips on where I can get some rackmount cases? Don't need anything special like hotswaps, can be used, and pretty much anything from 2u to 6u will work. I've gotten a few off newegg, but the shipping is like half the cost of the cases, and i know some one out there has to be recycling servers.
Sideout
NeXus LAN Director

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2013, 07:49:12 PM »

What specifically are you looking for? just the case or you want a complete box?
spyware89
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013, 07:55:45 PM »

Well... i would be interested in complete boxes too depending on what is in them, but in this case, just the errr... case.
evildoer
Sniper

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2013, 10:57:36 PM »

What's your project?

As someone who has evaluated and purchased chassis' for a business that sold 6,000+ servers / year I can tell you that the cheap rackmount cases are just that.

Supermicro is the best

IStarUSA, AIC are OK. Chenbro is expensive.

Some of the really cheap ones, I've evaluated a case from Athena Power for example, had PCI slot covers that were cut by a jigsaw.

Here's a $99 4U from iStarUSA
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7973657&CatId=3427
spyware89
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2013, 11:07:09 PM »

All I am doing is moving all my old computers to a rack. Every time I build a new rig for some one they basically just tell me to keep the old parts and I turn it into a SQL server or linux sandbox or game server or whatever.  I've got a couple of supermicros and Norcos at work, and they are pretty solid. I have a 2U rosewill for my Windows Home Server rig, and that IS a piece of crap. I had to use a demel to get one of the hard drive cages that it came with to fit back in it with drives installed.
gfx
Pages: [1] Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx gfx