Ohio's Largest PC Gaming Community & LAN Party

gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

NeXus LAN 24 was fantastic!!!  We will miss seeing everyone, but hope to see some of you at other LAN's down the line.   Thank you everyone for years of support and fun!!!!

gfx gfx
gfx
11324 Posts in 2476 Topics by 414 Members - Latest Member: Hanlin April 27, 2024, 10:32:04 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
      « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Arma3 - Wasteland  (Read 22236 times)
Boon
NeXus LAN Staff

View Profile WWW
« on: June 29, 2013, 08:06:16 PM »

I like the look of Arma 3, but the feel at alpha(though good for an alpha) steered me away from the game... everything seemed clunky. However they are now in the early beta stages of the game, and are rapidly adding to it. Everything seems to be fitting together nicely. If you can find a multiplayer server with a low ping(<50) the multiplayer experience tends to be pretty amazing. I have recently stumbled across a game type for it called Wasteland... You need not download anything as it is a mission file type so the game will load the mission and the game type is server-side. This game is just like Dayz without the zombies... it is a survival game mod...

There are 3 factions. You have blufor and opfor and then independents. The indepedents can kill anyone they please, where the other two sides are team based. You can choose at launch what side you want to play for. Then your role(class); You have Leader, Sniper, Medic, Repair Mechanic. The game is oriented around building bases, and taking objectives that pop up on your hud and map every 5-12 minutes, with each side racing to get there first to complete the mission for money and supplies. Now because Arma 3 itself is in development the Game type is also in it's development, So the base building feature is almost non existant yet, but there are landmarks and bases on the map that you could easily set up shop in and run operations out of.

Depending on the mod type and the version, you most likely will start with a pistol with a spare mag and a small sum of cash, and if food is enabled usually one water bottle and a can of food. From there you have to scavenge, kill, or purchase your items to use. Team work is the key(atleast till you are better geared and trying for a recon/sniping role). Most everyone runs in packs, even the independents. Futher more you can only be one class at a time, so if you happen across a vehicle that needs repaired or your driving one and your not a repair mechanic your SOL. Vise versa for medic... anyone can patch them selves up to 75/200 health but only a medic can patch you fully to 200... which is a huge difference in this game. Most battles happen at a stand off distance which I find are extremely fun, as it becomes a tactical simulation at that point and not just a run n gun /spray and pray game... Actually playing this game in that manner will lead to your demise almost 99% of the time, with little or no kills on your end. Everything in this game has to be taken slow, you cant just charge a town and expect to capture it. You scout, set up overwatch, then have a breaching team go in.. and most the players in this game understand this, which I truly love. Your always gonna have that one COD player who tries to run and gun his way in, but you dont have to worry about him long, they usually quit after a spawn or two. Team work is paramount in this one.

Also surprisingly; not alot of camper/"snipers".. you'll get the occasional infantry with a 12x scope/acog who has a stand off distance of 300-400meters, but provided you have an assualt rifle your on a level playing field. Most sniper rifles are rare drops, and come with a hefty price if you try to purchase them, and since when you die you loose everything you dont see many snipers. Not to mention sniping in this game is not your typical COD/BF style of sniping where you point click... You have variables you have to account for most importantly distance... If your trying to reach out to a target at 700-800m, and are shooting with a 300m zero'd scope chances are your first few shots are gonna be a miss, also if you cant judge distance well in the game, your long range abilities are going to suffer(dont worry you can find a range finder, or buy one for a price). The ballistics of rounds in this game are phenominal. As for campers... if your playing on a food enabled server.. the solution is simple.. they will starve... They can camp for a good spell, but at some point they will have to forage food or make a supply run to a local vendor; That combined with the size of the map really deters the camping aspect.. Now granted you still have "campers", but they are usually well equiped and expierenced players, and are almost always working in tandem with a squad as recon or overwatch. Camping in this game isnt as rewarding as others... as you may get a scratch, but you have to physically go loot that kill for their gear and supplies... Which if your doing it right is 800-1000m away...

I have just been getting in to PUGs but I would love to get something more solid going if anyone was interested.., granted there is curently no real objective to the mission with the bases being almost non existant, but the missions and PvP are more than enough to stay entertained. My only suggestion is just make sure you pick a very low ping game... This game will turn to crap very quickly with a ping close to or over 100... under 50, I have to say it is easily one of the best multiplayer fps experiences I have played in some time.

"Call da Ambalamps!"

Www.twitch.tv/boonjob
Boon
NeXus LAN Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2013, 08:43:34 PM »

Also another awesome feature... ou can tow vehicles and such... So if you happen across multiple truck, strap one in tow and you have a spare if the first craps out or runs out of gas... An amazing feature especially for anyone who played dayz and knows what it is like to blow a tire in the middle of no where or have an engine crap out.

"Call da Ambalamps!"

Www.twitch.tv/boonjob
Action
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2013, 09:57:35 PM »

This sounds cool!

[TC] Action
Website Administrator - NeXus LAN
XBox Live: ActionRZ
Boon
NeXus LAN Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2013, 10:59:42 PM »

Its a blast, I have been tearing it up... The firefights are a rush, especially if you have all 3 sides hitting the same location at the same time. THe aspect of loosing your gear when you die sucks, but it really makes you slow down and gets the adrenaline pumping so to speak lol...

With it's lan abilities it'd be a great game mod to play at a lan, only downside is youd need more than a handful of players or the action gets sparse on the map until the obejctives start rolling in and people are trying for them.

"Call da Ambalamps!"

Www.twitch.tv/boonjob
Renegade
NeXus LAN Director

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2013, 01:58:23 AM »

Can we run our own arma 3 servers yet?    I would not mind hosting one from the store.

Renegade
NeXus LAN Director
Boon
NeXus LAN Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2013, 06:26:34 AM »

Yes, You could always host your own server.... I have been taking up residency in the AWOL wasteland server though. It's the best moded wasteland I've found, and the server pings are always <30ms for me. so it plays smooth.

"Call da Ambalamps!"

Www.twitch.tv/boonjob
Renegade
NeXus LAN Director

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2013, 05:48:56 PM »

Well I mean do they have dedicated server exe available for download not running it from Arma from steam.   Running it from inside arma 3 ties up your copy and your steam account.   Last I looked I could not find any dedicated server files available to host a dedicated server.

Renegade
NeXus LAN Director
Action
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2013, 02:22:44 PM »

That would definitely be cool if you can.

[TC] Action
Boon
NeXus LAN Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2013, 02:12:56 AM »

Here is the server info of the server I have been Playing on.  http://www.gametracker.com/server_info/74.91.122.169:2302/ ...Its down right now for what I assume is maintenance....

Make sure to scroll down and look at who is #1 on server out of 790 ;P  ..... Taking these kids to church.    Grin

"Call da Ambalamps!"

Www.twitch.tv/boonjob
Boon
NeXus LAN Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2013, 10:00:18 PM »

Just found Arma III - ZOOMBIES MOD..... It's dayz but with Arma 3....

"Call da Ambalamps!"

Www.twitch.tv/boonjob
Action
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2013, 04:02:10 PM »

I bought ARMA III when it was still Alpha... My main reason was buying it was the dedicated LAN server capability (they get my money for that).  Does this including everything I need for these mods or anything else required?

[TC] Action
Boon
NeXus LAN Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2013, 05:16:22 AM »

Wasteland is a map pack mod, so you simply join the game and the serverside will update your client...

With Zoombies(dayz for arma3) you have to download a mod pack installer, you can find it at zoombies site on the forum. To play it you have to have Arma3, Arma2, and Arma 2 operation arrowhead. I have only played the Zoombie's mod a few times, it is significantly better play than arma 2 dayz , but it is the same, all the way down to the graphics sorta, in the sense of the bldg models, and skins... But there are arma 3 and arma 2 weapons in it...

I personally only play Wasteland, and I play on the AWOL Gamer's server. nothing needed outside of Arma 3 to play there.

"Call da Ambalamps!"

Www.twitch.tv/boonjob
code
Sniper

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2013, 12:55:34 PM »

I bought Arma3 a long time ago and haven't really got into it yet.. I don't think I am understanding the game right.

One night could I meet some of you that play it and maybe get some help?

Thanks.
Boon
NeXus LAN Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2013, 04:17:01 PM »

It for sure has a steep curve, but once your past it, I think its a rich expierence. One of the best  fps plays to date if you in a legit lag/hacker free server... I think I have like 90 hours in it, in just the last month.

"Call da Ambalamps!"

Www.twitch.tv/boonjob
code
Sniper

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2013, 05:50:11 PM »

cool, ill try catching you on team speak when you're playing it.  Wink
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx gfx